The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Is it normal to have modules clash regularly if you do a double degree?

I'm starting my first year of UNI this sept and I just got a hold of the timetable for my modules for Economics and Politics BA. BTW I go to SOAS and honestly, how they show their modules and timetables is really confusing and frustrating. As I am writing this now, I still don't know if what I am seeing is correct and from what I can tell is that some of my modules for the 1st week of UNI are already clashing and this is without me choosing any of these modules as they are compulsory. I've already sent an enquiry about my confusion to the UNI but I'm still waiting for a response.

If there are students from SOAS reading this, pls help me figure out how the timetables work and which modules is it that I'm actually assigned to😭😭😭 I tried looking at my calender like every1 else but every1 has the same problem of it being blank so I'm just relying on the timetables on the website.
Reply 1
Hi there. Yes sadly SOAS is terrible at this. But if your core modules are clashing that’s their fault and they’ll change it. The challenge comes when trying to arrange modules from different departments. You have to do all the leg work to make that work, and accept that you may not be able to take some preferred modules. If it helps, you can copy and paste the module code from the module’s individual page, then edit the timetable url for just that code. Then bookmark each timetable.

For example, here's the URL for one module:

https://sws.soas.ac.uk/2324/Reporting/reporting/individual;module;id;15PJKH055-A23/24%0D%0A?days=1-7&weeks=2;3;4;5;6;8;9;10;11;12;16;17;18;19;20;22;23;24;25;26;31;32;&periods=3-12&template=module+individual&height=100&week=100

You can see in there the code 15PJKH055. Just replace that with different module codes and you'll see their timetable.

Once the module selection process is finished (late September) you should start being able to see your module schedule in one place (MyTimetable).

Let me know if you need more help :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by Anonymous
I'm starting my first year of UNI this sept and I just got a hold of the timetable for my modules for Economics and Politics BA. BTW I go to SOAS and honestly, how they show their modules and timetables is really confusing and frustrating. As I am writing this now, I still don't know if what I am seeing is correct and from what I can tell is that some of my modules for the 1st week of UNI are already clashing and this is without me choosing any of these modules as they are compulsory. I've already sent an enquiry about my confusion to the UNI but I'm still waiting for a response.

If there are students from SOAS reading this, pls help me figure out how the timetables work and which modules is it that I'm actually assigned to😭😭😭 I tried looking at my calender like every1 else but every1 has the same problem of it being blank so I'm just relying on the timetables on the website.

Hi,

Firstly, congratulations on your place!

When it comes to the timetable, don't worry about not being able to see your personal timetable yet. As the timetable can change a lot before classes begin, sometimes modules aren't shown in your timetable yet.

During welcome week (next week) if your personal timetable is still blank, try contacting SID (the student information desk) or if you are in person, go to the Student Hub. They might advise you to look at your department timetable to find out your lecture times in the meantime, but explain to them that in your case, with your dual degree, you are seeing clashes with certain lectures. Please specify which modules these are, so that they can help you out with these.

Lectures will start the w/b Monday the 2nd of October and tutorials will begin the following week, Monday the 9th of October, so don't worry you still have time!

I hope that this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions!

- K (BSc Accounting and Finance)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending