The Student Room Group

economics BSc LSE warwick UCL

I have 2A*s in maths and biology and an A in chemistry and will be applying to economics at warwick, lse and ucl but because I didn't take further maths i'm gonna sit the exam next year and apply with a predicted grade A* for that. If I was to get an offer from these unis would it be subject to me achieving that A* or would it just be an unconditional offer as i already meet the entry requirements?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by user637737
I have 2A*s in maths and biology and an A in chemistry and will be applying to economics at warwick, lse and ucl but because I didn't take further maths i'm gonna sit the exam next year and apply with a predicted grade A* for that. If I was to get an offer from these unis would it be subject to me achieving that A* or would it just be an unconditional offer as i already meet the entry requirements?

If you are fortunate enough to get an offer from LSE, it would almost certainly be conditional on FM. The other 2 don't need FM so probably not, unless they want to stretch you to ensure you stay focused, and to ensure that your math skills don't slip.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lalexm
If you are fortunate enough to get an offer from LSE, it would almost certainly be conditional on FM. The other 2 don't need FM so probably not, unless they want to stretch you to ensure you stay focused, and to ensure that your math skills don't slip.

so wouldn’t it be better to get predicted A?
Reply 3
so wouldn’t it be better to get predicted A?

No not really, as those unis are so hyper competitive for economics, that every year many student with perfect grades i.e. 4xA* including FM, are rejected. Look at the Warwick 2023 application thread as an example. I think you therefore want to get the best grades you possibly can to increase your chances, and you need to apply to some safer options so you won't end up with zero offers.
Reply 4
Okay but if people with 4A* predicted is applying isn’t it seen as more competitive if you actually have achieved grades
Reply 5
Okay but if people with 4A* predicted is applying isn’t it seen as more competitive if you actually have achieved grades

Yes, achieved are better than predicted at the same grade. I'm just making the point that those Unis you have listed are hyper competitive for Econ, so make sure you also apply for safer options, so you won't end up with zero offers like some high achievers ended up with this year.
If you got an offer from LSE, it will simply be A*AA (incl. A* in Mathematics). That's the only strict subject grade requirement; I wouldn't worry about getting an A* on FM (for what it's worth, I study BSc Econ there and I only got an A!)

Cambridge will ask for A* in FM depending on the college you apply to - so have a look before applying for said college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending