The Student Room Group

Equivalent to A Level?

I achieved DDM in A levels (BTEC) during my time at sixth form. I did Business and Travel for which I got 2 dist. My third subject was originally ICT, but I didn't do too well (to be fair, 9/13 people dropped the course after 1st year) so I was advised to drop it for Sport in my 2nd year of Sixth form. I managed to get a merit, but since I was only doing it for a year, I completed half of the modules. The modules were worth 5,5, 10 and 10 points respectively if that means anything to you.. I phoned up Kent today and they'd said they'd definitely consider me, but would have to look into it in details once I apply to see if its equivalent to an A level? What do you think? I'm really stressed!!

I got into my first choice last year (dropped out after a month though) for which the requirement was 280 ucas points, which is exactly what I achieved. But since Kent and a few others I am looking to apply to (requirements DDM & DMM btec) aren't looking at UCAS points, do you think it would be too much of a problem if I only completed half of the modules? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Thanks
Reply 1
So you have a Dist in both Business and Travel BTEC subsid diplomas each equivalent to one A level

And you have a Merit in sport BTEC certificate equiv to an AS level (half a subsid)

However if i have understood this correctly you only have the equivalent of 2.5 A levels and where it says DDM for the entry requirements it is referring to the extended diploma which is worth 3 A levels so you wouldnt meet the requirements

Your qualifications give you 280 UCAS points i.e. D(120) + D(120) + M(40)

If you had DDM in an extended diploma it would break down like this D(120) + D(120) + M(80) = 320

You should probably stick to unis that require 280 or less as where a uni requires 3 grades from either A level or BTEC they mean 3 full A levels, 3 BTECs Subsids or 1 BTEC Extended

You could look at doing a foundation year at a high ranked uni to gain admission.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest