The Student Room Group

PhD early days and induction

Hellooo,

so basically I've been offered a PhD (subject to grades etc but hopefully should be fine) and I was just wondering what it's like when you start? I've read that you may have an induction and stuff but I don't really know what to expect for structure and stuff?

I know it's different everywhere but I just wondered what peoples general experiences have been and if they had any advice for me?

Thank youuu
Reply 1
My induction activities were a bit flabby. Half hour welcome from the Head of the Graduate School (who then disappeared and failed to do anything useful for the remainder of my residency). Tour of the department by a member of staff who knew less about the various lab functions than I did. Issued with Student ID card. Shown to my office. Mandatory half day health & safety session which turned out to be two hours of stating the bleedin obvious. A lengthy struggle to get my PC and print/copy card to work (took 3 weeks and two months, respectively). Three attempts to get a Council Tax Exemption form with a valid start date on it. Eight day wait for the first meeting with my supervisors.

I'm sure not everywhere is as useless as my place was, but do be prepared to be more self-sufficient.
Reply 2
Where will you be studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It varies from uni to uni but definitely be prepared to be self-sufficient and chase things up. Try and get in touch with other PhD students who have been there a while and find out what they did or what they suggest you do. Things to make sure you get sorted ASAP: access to the building, labs etc including out of hours access, relevant and required health and safety courses, any training you need for equipment you may need to use, library access, emails etc, make sure you're put on relevant mailing lists for seminars, PhD student social and other activities etc, introduce yourself to your admin team-they will be your best friends! Make sure you know about any conferences you can go to, deadlines you need to meet for progression, funds you can apply for and professional development opportunities such as courses and teaching you can take advantage of. Have a chat with your supervisor and establish expectations for meetings, setting goals, working hours etc. That's all I can think of for now. Will post again if I think of anything else. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
My induction activities were a bit flabby. Half hour welcome from the Head of the Graduate School (who then disappeared and failed to do anything useful for the remainder of my residency). Tour of the department by a member of staff who knew less about the various lab functions than I did. Issued with Student ID card. Shown to my office. Mandatory half day health & safety session which turned out to be two hours of stating the bleedin obvious. A lengthy struggle to get my PC and print/copy card to work (took 3 weeks and two months, respectively). Three attempts to get a Council Tax Exemption form with a valid start date on it. Eight day wait for the first meeting with my supervisors.

I'm sure not everywhere is as useless as my place was, but do be prepared to be more self-sufficient.

yeaah thats the kinda stuff i imagined, my plan is to sorta set myself deadlines sporadically and also sort out with my supervisor a meeting schedule or something..
Reply 5
Original post by Ftmshk
Where will you be studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

imperial (fingers crossed)
Reply 6
Original post by alleycat393
It varies from uni to uni but definitely be prepared to be self-sufficient and chase things up. Try and get in touch with other PhD students who have been there a while and find out what they did or what they suggest you do. Things to make sure you get sorted ASAP: access to the building, labs etc including out of hours access, relevant and required health and safety courses, any training you need for equipment you may need to use, library access, emails etc, make sure you're put on relevant mailing lists for seminars, PhD student social and other activities etc, introduce yourself to your admin team-they will be your best friends! Make sure you know about any conferences you can go to, deadlines you need to meet for progression, funds you can apply for and professional development opportunities such as courses and teaching you can take advantage of. Have a chat with your supervisor and establish expectations for meetings, setting goals, working hours etc. That's all I can think of for now. Will post again if I think of anything else. Good luck!

yeaah thats my plan just to suss everything out asap! i can be kinda shy so i know i just have to suck it up and get to know as much as i can as early as possible so that i dont have to look like an idiot asking about it later. i got some book of amazon about it so ill have an idea of what to expect
Reply 7
Don't forget you won't be the only new girl! There will be plenty of others in your position and hopefully the Uni will provide loads of information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thank you for your question - I've got an interview tomorrow for a PhD in Canterbury. You have given me some ideas of questions I might ask!!

Hope you get your grade required. I did my Masters a few years ago, so don't have that worry. Happy Autumn 2015!
Margaret
Reply 9
Original post by Ftmshk
Don't forget you won't be the only new girl! There will be plenty of others in your position and hopefully the Uni will provide loads of information.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeaah thats what im thinking! cos its a relatively small department compared to the one im at atm for postgrad i think... im excited tho!!
Reply 10
Original post by mld
Thank you for your question - I've got an interview tomorrow for a PhD in Canterbury. You have given me some ideas of questions I might ask!!

Hope you get your grade required. I did my Masters a few years ago, so don't have that worry. Happy Autumn 2015!
Margaret

ahh i was so stumped for that too haha! i asked about printing?! loool

good luck you! hope it goes well for you
Reply 11
Thank you it went well. They said "see you in September" so I'm in! I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending