The Student Room Group

is 2nd year induction for a single day necessary?

I'm scheduled to be in an induction session from 10am-1pm tomorrow, during first year. It was filled with uncomfortable social activities and presenting powerpoints.

I'm wondering if this will be the same case? I have pretty bad social anxiety and most of my 1st year friends dropped out...

I'm studying at Leeds Beckett by the way, if anyone has any past experiences with induction.
I think it will be good to go to gain an overview of the course and ask/hear other people ask any questions you have. As you're in 2nd year, you may not have to do the social activities, but I'm not sure x
Original post by Anonymous
I'm scheduled to be in an induction session from 10am-1pm tomorrow, during first year. It was filled with uncomfortable social activities and presenting powerpoints.

I'm wondering if this will be the same case? I have pretty bad social anxiety and most of my 1st year friends dropped out...

I'm studying at Leeds Beckett by the way, if anyone has any past experiences with induction.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy the activities. Before the induction starts you could approach whoever is leading it and ask them if you could not participate in the social activities due to being uncomfortable or if you know who is going to be leading the induction, you can email them. I understand it can be scary to approach them and let them know so if you turn up early you might be able to speak with the leader of the induction before others arrive.

Inductions are usually helpful to figure out what will be happening during second year. Its a good introduction and a way to get familiar with the layout of the course. It might not be necessary but I would recommend it. Second year might be different with less social activities as ice breakers.

If at any point you feel uncomfortable or want to leave you can. There is no pressure to stay.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
No, I never attended either.
Original post by Anonymous

Anon,

Did you go to the induction?

The induction day/week can feel a bit overwhelming and frightening, but it also helps to frame what the year will look like and helps you to begin to understand what will be required. I hope if you went it was useful. If you did not go, do check out your university's learning platform.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending