The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR FSMQ Additional Maths June 2015 Answers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adapttochangelad
49-52 normally so about half of the marks?

So if I counted like 48 definite marks plus others I may have snatched is that a C?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by irfan_blue
So if I counted like 48 definite marks plus others I may have snatched is that a C?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be because overall I don't think people found it easy so boundaries will be what they normally are
Original post by Mr M
Well spotted. That's poor.

Does this mean that the marks for this queston will not be counted?

I really hope they do count these marks because I didn`t get many marks in section B and this is one of the qs I managed to get full marks on :frown:
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's OCR FSMQ Additional Maths June 2015 Answers

1. Perpendicular line

3x2y=13x-2y=1 or equivalent (3 marks)

2. Trigonometry

(i) 124 degrees (2 marks)

(ii) 11.5 degrees or 168 degrees (2 marks)

3. Tangent

y=15x21y=15x-21 or equivalent (5 marks)

4. Integration

(i) 253\frac{25}{3} (4 marks)

(ii) This is the area under the curve bounded by the x axis and the lines x = 1 and x = 2 (1 mark)

5. Train

(i) a = 3 (3 marks)

(ii) 13 metres per second (2 marks)

6. Consecutive integers

(i) n1+n+n+1=99n-1+n+n+1=99

n=33n=33 (2 marks)

(ii) (n1)(n+1)+5n=203(n-1)(n+1)+5n=203

n=12n=12 (4 marks)

7. Simultaneous equations

(i) x = 2 and y = 9 (4 marks)

(ii) The line is a tangent to the parabola at (2, 9) (1 mark)

8. Cubic polynomial

(i) a = -7 (2 marks)

(ii) x = 1, x = 2 and x = -3 (4 marks)

9. Circle

(i) (x4)2+(y+1)2=36(x-4)^2+(y+1)^2=36 (4 marks)

(ii) Inside (evidence required) (2 marks)

10. Window

(i) 44.0 degrees (3 marks)

(ii) 12.7 cm (4 marks)

11. Intersecting parabolas

(i) Show the result (2 marks)

(ii) 2x2+10x8-2x^2+10x-8 (2 marks)

(iii) 2.5 (4 marks)

(iv) 9 (4 marks)

12. Binomial probabilities

(a) (i) 0.0162 (4 marks)

(ii) 0.944 (3 marks)

(b) 0.134 (5 marks)

13. Hexagonal pyramid

(i) 2.35 metres (3 marks)

(ii) 78.0 degrees (2 marks)

(iii) 79.5 degrees (4 marks)

(iv) 1.72 metres (3 marks)

14. Linear programming

(i) x stands for the number of bottles of X

y stands for the number of bottles of Y

This inequality models the usage of A (2 marks)

(ii) 2x+5y902x+5y \leq 90 (1 mark)

(iii) Correct graph (3 marks)

(iv) 12 bottles of X and 12 bottles of Y (2 marks)

(v) Maximum number of bottles is 24

10X and 14Y

11X and 13 Y

12X and 12Y (4 marks)

PLEASE RESPOND MR.M!!! PLEASE!!!

I have major anxiety issues, I believe I got 69/70 in this paper, so literally 1 mark of what A usually is! I`m literally having a panic attack!!! :frown:

PLEASE just answer the following questions I asked 2 days ago but got no response :frown:

Wow, thanks for uploading the answers!

Can you please just remind me of what question 2)ii) was asking

Also would I get Error carried forward if I got the wrong equation of the circle in Q 9) for Q 9)ii because you need to state whether the point is inside or outside your circle? My circle showed that the point was outside

And also, how many marks do you think I may get for Q 12)b) I got an answer of 0.2... because I made the stupid mistake of adding the probability of the combinations rather than multiplying them together

And also for Q )ii) I drew a sketch of the graph and shaded the area under it and labeled it as the area we found in the question before, so would I get a mark for that?

And also for 6)ii) why is there only 1 answer to the quadratic equation?? I`m sure I got 12 but I got some other answer as well or am I just an idiot who put in an answer I shouldn`t have included... If so, how many marks would I lose for including this second answer?

Thank you sooo much for uploading these answers, I just have 1 final question...

Do you think this paper was easier or harder than past years, so will the grade boundries be higher or lower than 70 for an A etc?

I think I got around 70, what grade do you think that might be?

Thanks Mr.M!
Original post by Mastermind1000000
Does this mean that the marks for this queston will not be counted?

I really hope they do count these marks because I didn`t get many marks in section B and this is one of the qs I managed to get full marks on :frown:

I'm sure the marks will be counted as this problem didn't materially affect the question. OCR may not even be aware of this error unless someone has read this thread and told them.
Original post by Mr M
I'm sure the marks will be counted as this problem didn't materially affect the question. OCR may not even be aware of this error unless someone has read this thread and told them.

Oh ok, thanks! And can you please just answer my few queries if you could be so kind to do so...pls...your my only hope of sleep tonight...
Original post by Mastermind1000000
PLEASE RESPOND MR.M!!! PLEASE!!!

I have major anxiety issues, I believe I got 69/70 in this paper, so literally 1 mark of what A usually is! I`m literally having a panic attack!!! :frown:

PLEASE just answer the following questions I asked 2 days ago but got no response :frown:

Wow, thanks for uploading the answers!

Can you please just remind me of what question 2)ii) was asking

Also would I get Error carried forward if I got the wrong equation of the circle in Q 9) for Q 9)ii because you need to state whether the point is inside or outside your circle? My circle showed that the point was outside

And also, how many marks do you think I may get for Q 12)b) I got an answer of 0.2... because I made the stupid mistake of adding the probability of the combinations rather than multiplying them together

And also for Q )ii) I drew a sketch of the graph and shaded the area under it and labeled it as the area we found in the question before, so would I get a mark for that?

And also for 6)ii) why is there only 1 answer to the quadratic equation?? I`m sure I got 12 but I got some other answer as well or am I just an idiot who put in an answer I shouldn`t have included... If so, how many marks would I lose for including this second answer?

Thank you sooo much for uploading these answers, I just have 1 final question...

Do you think this paper was easier or harder than past years, so will the grade boundries be higher or lower than 70 for an A etc?

I think I got around 70, what grade do you think that might be?

Thanks Mr.M!

2ii) asked you to solve sin x = 0.2 between 0 and 180 degrees

9) yes

12b) you should get a couple of marks

area one - that might be ok

6ii) the question said n is positive
Hi Mr M
For q2 I have too many answers but the correct one is amongst them. Would I get the answer mark in this instance?
Thanks
Original post by Mr M
2ii) asked you to solve sin x = 0.2 between 0 and 180 degrees

9) yes

12b) you should get a couple of marks

area one - that might be ok

6ii) the question said n is positive

Thank you so much!:biggrin:
Original post by Mr M

For 5(ii), could you remind me what the question was? Did you have to use suvat?
Mr M, couple of things please:

Velocity questions I used SUVAT, how many marks out of 5 would I lose?

Also, are you certain that the probability last part = 0.134? I got that but people at school are saying you need to put combinations within the sample of 10 and multiply out, so 0 in first sample and 3 in second? It would explain why it's a 5 mark question...

So if that is the case and I put 0.134, how many marks would I lose?

Thanks!
Original post by adapttochangelad
For 5(ii), could you remind me what the question was? Did you have to use suvat?

Well this is where the error becomes a problem.

If you use SUVAT and start from rest (and it is reasonable to do so given that you have shown the acceleration is constant) you obtain v = 15 m/s.

If you use calculus you obtain v = 13 m/s which is consistent with the rest of the question.

I think they will end up having to mark both answers right!
Original post by Mr M
Well this is where the error becomes a problem.

If you use SUVAT and start from rest (and it is reasonable to do so given that you have shown the acceleration is constant) you obtain v = 15 m/s.

If you use calculus you obtain v = 13 m/s which is consistent with the rest of the question.

I think they will end up having to mark both answers right!

Mr M you see 10 i, are you definite it was 44 degrees because a large proportion of people got 36.9 degrees? Did you use the cosine rule how did you work it out?
Original post by Meebcphgrsfar
Mr M, couple of things please:

Velocity questions I used SUVAT, how many marks out of 5 would I lose?

Also, are you certain that the probability last part = 0.134? I got that but people at school are saying you need to put combinations within the sample of 10 and multiply out, so 0 in first sample and 3 in second? It would explain why it's a 5 mark question...

So if that is the case and I put 0.134, how many marks would I lose?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you are asking but 0.134 is right. You can do it by finding 0, 3 and 3, 0 and 1, 2 and 2, 1 but you will get the same answer in the end.

The velocity question is flawed but if you started by using SUVAT you have gone wrong.
Mr M you see 10 i, are you definite it was 44 degrees because a large proportion of people got 36.9 degrees? Did you use the cosine rule how did you work it out?

Yes I used the cosine rule.

cosx=82+102722×8×10\cos x =\frac{8^2+10^2-7^2}{2\times8\times10}
Original post by Mr M
I'm not sure what you are asking but 0.134 is right. You can do it by finding 0, 3 and 3, 0 and 1, 2 and 2, 1 but you will get the same answer in the end.

The velocity question is flawed but if you started by using SUVAT you have gone wrong.

Sorry that was poorly worded on my part.

By my reckoning some people used a different methods, so 0 and 3, 1 and 2, etc and got a different answer, but that may well be wrong.

I can't remember whether I used SUVAT all the way through that question or not, hopefully my common sense prevailed!

Thank you!
Original post by Meebcphgrsfar
Sorry that was poorly worded on my part.

By my reckoning some people used a different methods, so 0 and 3, 1 and 2, etc and got a different answer, but that may well be wrong.

I can't remember whether I used SUVAT all the way through that question or not, hopefully my common sense prevailed!

Thank you!

I think the other people must made a mistake then.
Original post by autarky15
Hi Mr M
For q2 I have too many answers but the correct one is amongst them. Would I get the answer mark in this instance?
Thanks

You won't get full marks but you will get something.
Original post by Mr M
You won't get full marks but you will get something.

For number 2 for both do you simply do sin and cos inverse and calculate 180 - your answer? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For number 2 for both do you simply do sin and cos inverse and calculate 180 - your answer? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not cos!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending