The Student Room Group

Anarcho-Capitalism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Davij038
Ok say we live in an anarchist society. I claim that a house that I've built is my own and nobody else's - what would happen to change this?

Furthermore me and some friends of mine havd decided to create our own currency- it would be worthless to most people but to us it possessed some intrinsic value .

Because the rights which existed would be merely rights in personam against your friends rather than rights in rem, which third parties could interfere with at will, they would be of relatively little utility for you and your friends (assuming 'your friends' are considerably outnumbered by 'not your friends').
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Because the rights which existed would be merely rights in personam against your friends rather than rights in rem, which third parties could interfere with at will, they would be of relatively little utility for you and your friends (assuming 'your friends' are considerably outnumbered by 'not your friends':wink:.

I'm not so sure, this could be a poor comparrison but here it goes: I and everyone I know have absoloutley no need for Yen (assuming it wasnt transerable at a stock exchange, does that render the currency pointless? You're obviously right that it would be fromaa legal perspective worthless as such a society would be free from laws but if such a currency were to exist and become a custom then that would destroy such a claim of abolished private property.
I'm not so sure, this could be a poor comparrison but here it goes: I and everyone I know have absoloutley no need for Yen (assuming it wasnt transerable at a stock exchange, does that render the currency pointless? You're obviously right that it would be fromaa legal perspective worthless as such a society would be free from laws but if such a currency were to exist and become a custom then that would destroy such a claim of abolished private property.

It works because the entire society, which is big enough to guard against foreign violence, follows it. You can't set up a sub-society with 'friends' and expect to be able to set up currency.
Ok say we live in an anarchist society. I claim that a house that I've built is my own and nobody else's - what would happen to change this?

I imagine most anarchists would say it depends whether you live in it.

Furthermore me and some friends of mine havd decided to create our own currency- it would be worthless to most people but to us it possessed some intrinsic value .

Then it would be extrinsic, not intrinsic.

No objections to you doing that if you really want to though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending