The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
amazingtrade
I make this thread because if the nurses weren't nice and patient my hospital visit would have been hell but they were very good with me even when I was sick on one of them. I think considering how little they get paid they do a very good job and are often undervalued.

I certainly have 100 times more respect for nurses than I do to fat cat business people.

they have alot of respect from me....and so do some fat cat business people.:smile:
Reply 2
I think nurses are so undervalued, their pay is rediculous considering all the crappy things they have to do.
Reply 3
i dont see any difficult/professional skills required to be a nurse, so i dont see how it can be or should be highly paid
Reply 4
TheWolf
i dont see any difficult/professional skills required to be a nurse, so i dont see how it can be or should be highly paid

woah that is rude!
Reply 5
That attitude is no negative, and actually most nurses do have a degree these days. You also do need professional qualifications you can't just walk off the street and become a nurse.

I know I could never be a nurse as I would not have the patience, they constantly have to clear up sick, be nice to aqaude patients, in some cases such as A&E put up with abusive patients etc.

I once read some where that nurses are amongst the lower paid graduates.
Reply 6
amazingtrade
I make this thread because if the nurses weren't nice and patient my hospital visit would have been hell but they were very good with me even when I was sick on one of them. I think considering how little they get paid they do a very good job and are often undervalued.

I certainly have 100 times more respect for nurses than I do to fat cat business people.
You were sick on one of the nurses? What did she do?
Reply 7
Charters
woah that is rude!

that was not rude! i dont think nurses should be highly paid, but i agree that they are underpaid, because of the workload.
Reply 8
You were sick on one of the nurses? What did she do?

I apologised to her and she said don't be silly its her job, she just cleaned up a bit. It was only a bit but even so.
Reply 9
I find "TheWolfs" attitude most disgusting, if you ever became ill you would have nurses looking after you 24/7 so give them the respect they deserve, when you have idiots like you around- with no gratitude for anything, you wonder why there are nursing shortages.
Reply 10
Charters
I find "TheWolfs" attitude most disgusting, if you ever became ill you would have nurses looking after you 24/7 so give them the respect they deserve, when you have idiots like you around- with no gratitude for anything, you wonder why there are nursing shortages.

I think the Wolf has been in hopsital quite recently, but yes it really annoys me when you get people winging about nurses. I am not sure what the basic pay is but its only about £18k I think which is not much at all considering I would get nearly that if my job was full time, and my job is much easier in many ways.
Reply 11
A lot of the NHS like nurses, paramedics are underpaid its crap that we give lots in tax and yet its the private businesses that earn lots but do little.
Reply 12
Fairydust
A lot of the NHS like nurses, paramedics are underpaid its crap that we give lots in tax and yet its the private businesses that earn lots but do little.

I guess its the way of the system, my mum used to be a medical secratary which is you need to fairly highly qualified for, she would earn about £16k for that now where as it if was a similar job for a business it would be more like £20k.

I know I.T workers in the NHS often get around £16k, where as the current business rate is £25k. I suppose the government to let them have access to cheaper housing but more needs to be done to support the NHS.

The NHS is so important and is one of the things that makes the UK the great country it is, I really hope all this new money will solve a lot of its problems. I think the public sueing them for little tiny things isn't helping either.
Reply 13
Charters

i am not saying nurses are not important :mad: you dont get paid well because you have a good heartWhy do railway workers get paid so little?..etc when they provide us so much good, why do road layers get paid so little? The job market will be in a state of equilibrium. If there are nursing shortages - wages will rise to a level where there are enough nurses to supply the demand.
Reply 14
You cannot compare nursing to something like road laying!
Reply 15
Charters
You cannot compare nursing to something like road laying!

what should we compare nursing to?
Reply 16
TheWolf
what should we compare nursing to?

The same as Doctors
Reply 17
Charters
The same as Doctors

compare the skills and knowledge required to be a doctor to the skills and knowledge required to a nurse
Reply 18
TheWolf
compare the skills and knowledge required to be a doctor to the skills and knowledge required to a nurse

To most patients the nurses provide the before and after care that is the most important part of their stay in hospital.
Reply 19
You need a lot of personal skills to be a nurse, you don't to be a road digger. Also the type of qualifcations you need to be a nurse are some what more interlectual.

I am not saying nurses should be paid the same as doctors as its not economicaly viable, but they should get more than a junior web designer.

Latest

Trending

Trending