The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Employability Of Durham Students

Does anyone know whether Durham students are highly regarded by employers? I'm looking to studying Acc&Finance at Durham Uni in 07' (Stockton Campus) and was wondering what the employability rates are like? I hear they are high (something about being the 3rd best etc etc) but would like to hear from experienced people who went or still go to Durham and get jobs once they have graduated or even if they are still at Uni but in a gap year/summer job.

Any info on the above mentioned would be great. P.S. - do the Big4 Accounting firms visit Durham? I hear they love Durham students (on work related grounds ofcourse).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I personally don't have a job yet, but I still have a year left. I will list some of my friends and their future jobs/current jobs.

Physicist (3 year course, got a 1st) working for HSBC and earning in excess of 40k a year. In his first year.

Physicist (4 year course, on for a good 2:1) summer internship with WatsonWyattWorldwide (consultancy) and subsequent job offer.

Physicist (4 year course, on for a rediculously high 1st) summer internship with Centrica (own British Gas) and subsequent job offer.

Physicist (4 year course, on for an über high 1st) - job offer from acturial firm.

Philosopher had a summer internship with JP Morgan and received a job offer.

And that's just 5 people off the top of my head, I know loads more people with internships and job offers. Hope that answers your question, I can't really be more specific about what each person will be doing as I'm not really into finance and whatnot. :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
40K for his first year! I didn't know jealously hurts :P:

What about the Queens Campus in Stockton? Do they have a high employability rate?
Becca
I personally don't have a job yet, but I still have a year left. I will list some of my friends and their future jobs/current jobs.

Physicist (3 year course, got a 1st) working for HSBC and earning in excess of 40k a year. In his first year.

Physicist (4 year course, on for a good 2:1) summer internship with WatsonWyattWorldwide (consultancy) and subsequent job offer.

Physicist (4 year course, on for a rediculously high 1st) summer internship with Centrica (own British Gas) and subsequent job offer.

Physicist (4 year course, on for an über high 1st) - job offer from acturial firm.

Philosopher had a summer internship with JP Morgan and received a job offer.

And that's just 5 people off the top of my head, I know loads more people with internships and job offers. Hope that answers your question, I can't really be more specific about what each person will be doing as I'm not really into finance and whatnot. :smile:

You know far too many physicists
Reply 4
Second to that! I hate physics!
Reply 5
Itchynscratchy

Not my fault my bf is one and lives with 4 others....:rolleyes:
Becca
Not my fault my bf is one and lives with 4 others....:rolleyes:

rah.
Reply 7
Itchynscratchy
rah.

I reckon Physics has the fewest rahs out of all the departments actually.
But yes, I am obviously a rah. :biggrin:
Reply 8
I need to marry a physicist!
Reply 9
I think you mean 'Physicist'.
Itchynscratchy

:ditto: I was about to say the same thing ..
Reply 11
Ok, Ok, I've remembered some other people I know:

NatSci student (2:1) on Marks and Spencers Graduate Management training scheme.
Maths Student (not sure what grade, probably a hight 2:1/1st) and a Cell Biologist (2:1) on Teach First graduate scheme.

For all the mathmos who don't know what to do apart from Investment Banking/finance - they're desparate for maths teachers, and teach first is a really good scheme.
Reply 12
Dark_Red
40K for his first year! I didn't know jealously hurts :P:

What about the Queens Campus in Stockton? Do they have a high employability rate?

Their isn't a distinction made on receiving your degree :p:.

Come to Stockton, the land of milk and honey where we didn't all go to public school! Where we don't all wear shirts/cotton jumpers from Abercrombie & Fitch, and some of us can pull of saying 'geez'! Christ, I even heard they have a working class person in a cage downstairs!

[To any main campus people, only joshing ya! :smile:]
Reply 13
Was there really any need for that?
Reply 14
Sorry Sir, won't happen again.
Reply 15
anthropology is definitely the most rah subject, what a bunch of ******s
Reply 16
When we get out we're not gonna get a job,
Not gonna get a job,
Not gonna get a job,
Not gonna get a job,
Not gonna get a job,
All day long.
i hope so-im going to durham and want to go into finance
Reply 18
Foxius
Not gonna get a job,
Not gonna get a job,
Not gonna get a job,
Not gonna get a job,
All day long.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Durham has the 3rd highest employment rate after graduation. :smile:
Reply 19
It's all lies.

Latest