The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Which languages are you learning in your degree?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
French and Italian.
Reply 42
What can you do with a degree in modern languages? Interpreter? Teacher?
Reply 43
:banghead:
I will be neither of those things. You can basically do any graduate job, as most graduate jobs simply require a 'good degree'.
Becca
:banghead:
I will be neither of those things. You can basically do any graduate job, as most graduate jobs simply require a 'good degree'.

lol, I always wonder why particularly sixth form students have very little idea about how careers go (Not that I was any different). Everyone I talk to of that age seems to think that I am going to spend the rest of my life as a random man in a lab coat.
Reply 45
Even people here think that I'm obviously going to go into teaching with my English degree. HELLO? Anyone in there, McFly?
Reply 46
As a geographer, I plan to spend 45 years colouring in.
Reply 47
Seriously? I can't wait for you to enter into that profession! Honestly, I'm excited for you. On the other hand, I will not be able to do that job simply because I always go over the lines :P
arkbar
As a geographer, I plan to spend 45 years colouring in.

If you're paid well then what's the problem you can buy as many pencil sharpeners as you need.:p:

Actually I am thinking about working in the area of my degree but NOT as a politician...as since the start of dawn I've had whoever has met me saying "I'll vote for you for Prime Minister" even though we don't vote for our PM.:wink:
Reply 49
In all seriousness, I'm thinking of going into Marketing, there are lots of grad schemes...I'm mostly attracted by food companies.
I would also really love to get onto TeachFirst.
Reply 50
Actually I am thinking about working in the area of my degree but NOT as a politician...as since the start of dawn I've had whoever has met me saying "I'll vote for you for Prime Minister" even though we don't vote for our PM.

I get that already and Im not at uni yet. :biggrin:
Reply 51
tomdav
I get that already and Im not at uni yet. :biggrin:

I just said it to my friend a few days ago. :redface:
Reply 52
I've no idea what career I'm going to get into after uni, I'm doing Combined Hons in English lit, German and Economics though, so quite a few doors are open, although I agree that the degree doesn't matter too much for a lot of jobs (i.e a 2.1 from Durham in most courses should set you up nicely for a career).
Reply 53
I'm studying accounting and finance and everyone thinks I am going to be an accountant but from what I've heard, you don't need a degree in A&F to be an accountant, only a degree which can literally be in anything.

Just thought I would contribute!
Reply 54
jl7
I just said it to my friend a few days ago. :redface:

Haha dont worry, I find it pretty funny :biggrin: apart from the time I got told I can be the next Thatcher...its pretty easy to see that Im male :p:
Reply 55
All geographers have heard every combination of colouring in/maps/capitals/'what are you going to do with that?' comment ever, so please don't repeat it to them.
I plan on sleeping as much as possible and aim to find the career that best accomodates this.
tomdav
apart from the time I got told I can be the next Thatcher...its pretty easy to see that Im male :p:

Insert very clichéd political point here:

Blair's male.

:p:
Reply 57
arkbar
All geographers have heard every combination of colouring in/maps/capitals/'what are you going to do with that?' comment ever, so please don't repeat it to them.
I plan on sleeping as much as possible and aim to find the career that best accomodates this.

hear,hear!
this situation is only being made worse by the fact i am doing an art foundation course at the moment...
Reply 58
I did Art Foundation! HIGH FIVE! It's nice actually because when you tell people about it they assume that a) you're really interesting and b) you're amazing at art, neither of which are [necessarily] true. :biggrin:
My sister is currently doing her art foundation now. She is at Leeds Art college. She wants to be one of those fashion people who make me cringe

Latest