The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Engineering

I've already posted this on the engineering and Warwick sub-forums, but I thought someone from here might be able to help me out too.

I've got a choice to make between Durham and Warwick as my insurance for General Engineering. Having looked around both universities, and done my research on both courses, I have been left with a conundrum (is that the right word???): I like the sound of the Warwick course more, but like Durham more as a university.

Are there any current Engineering students on here that could offer me a helping hand (be as biased as you like!!) ?
Also, does anyone know about the reputations for these two unis for engineering? I've asked around (teachers, parents, family friends etc.) , but no-one really seems to know!!

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Hey,

Durham's engineering course is rated 4th in the country, just behind behind Oxbridge and Imperial. It is a fantastically structured course with a good mix of lectures, weekly laboratories (experimental, computing and drawing/CAD) and tutorials. All the staff are cool and the departments facilities are absolutely top-notch, being one of the biggest departments in the uni, second only to geography I believe.

The good things about the course are:
Structure (both in general and as mentioned above).
Prospects (the course is accredited by the IEE, IMechE. etc)
Experience (all the stuff mentioned, plus external courses like technical training).
Diversity (superb grounding in all disciplines)
Quality of the material. (only what we need to know - nothing for the sake of it)
Loads of other things that I can't be asked to list (just ask!)

Bad things about the course:
Intensity (no Mickey mouse round here)
Monday morning and Friday afternoon for 2nd years. (Fact.)

There are other things to note as well, but it's late and I should really be sleeping, so any other questions feel free to ask.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I must admit that the Engineering course seems to be one of the better structured courses at the uni. They have most things cover and in the first year break it up nicely with some group projects, i.e. we had to make an amphibious vehicle (it quickly sank :smile: )

As eddie says the course has a lot of hours, but that is going to be the same for every engineering subject. For us second years early mondays and late fridays aren't so great but our timetable is a lot nicer this term :biggrin:

I can't really compare too well with warwick, I got an offer from them and looked around, however the whole warwick thing for me wouldn't have worked - it being on it's own campus and having to travel a fair bit to the nearest big city (coventry last time i checked).

If there is any particular part of the course you want to know about fire away.

Ian

Just a note however, as they only offer a general course (as do warwick) you will be doing practically everything so you will come across things you don't like so much.
Reply 3
When I visited Durham I felt it was a much better department than when I went on a course at Warwick. Everything just felt better for me. That's why I always wanted to come to Durham.

Durham will make you a higher offer for Engineering than Warwick (that's what happened last year) just by one grade though, which personally I feel implies Durham have higher standards than Warwick.

I really love this course and all the staff are really friendly and good to talk to. Also don't forget Durham is a great city with pretty much everything you could want (apart from a decent football team to go watch!!!) but Newcastle isn't far away and is a great place to visit. Compare that with Warwick where you're on a campus, and the outside world is a bus ride away. Of course, you might prefer the campus idea!
Reply 4
Thanks for all the help, guys! I think it's gonna come down to a list of pros and cons. It's such a tough decision!!

Latest