The Student Room Group

EU Freedom of movement, has there ever been a more idiotic idea in history?

A few axioms:

-Anybody in the EU can move to any EU country (unless they are known to be a terrorist etc).

-Some countries in the EU are dirt poor and their level of living is extremely low.

-Some countries in the EU have a "culture of crime", where it is much more common to commit crime than in other EU countries. In general, they just have a different culture. For example, the Spanish enjoy shoving swords in to the backs of Bulls to irate them in to fighting.

So which idiot didn't consider that all the poor people would just move to wealthier countries? In other words, how many migrants have entered the UK & Germany, compared with how many have entered Romania and Bulgaria?

So now we've allowed every single poor European in to the UK, why don't we go the full mile and allow every single African, Afghan, Iraqi, Syrian and Bangladeshi to move here?

Regarding the Romanian President criticising Cameron for wanting to treat EU immigrant citizens differently in other EU countries:

I find it funny how the EU has never proposed an equal level of social welfare benefits to be paid. Whats up, Romania not want to put their money where their mouth is? The UK welfare cap is £26,000, lets see Romania pay their citizens £26,000 for doing nothing. Lets see Romania pay-out child credits and £2,000-a-month housing benefits. Romania, you wanted equality for your citizens amongst the EU and now you got it. You've gone silent?

How about immigrants' benefits are funded by their original country of origin? So Poland can fund all the child benefits of its citizens living in the UK and so can Romania...... then the UK Government can fund the benefits of British people living in Romania...... oh wait- there aren't any. This EU Freedom of Movement was a smart idea........ one-way traffic to the wealthier EU countries. Greaaaaat!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Freedom of movement cannot exist if we are letting poverty stricken, corruption infested countries like romania, bulgaria, slovakia, lithuania, moldova etc Freedom of movement means eastern Europeans flood into the UK, it happened with Poland and its now happening with all those other state I mentioned. The EU should have been kept a western European club

if you think thats bad wait until Bosnia and Albania join.

Albanians make up the largest amount of asylum seekers in the EU
(edited 8 years ago)
its fine if the countries in the system have roughly the same standard of living and culture, but if you have rich countries and poor in the same zone it will leave to depopulation of the poor countries.

yes its idiotic, and painfully predictable. but there was a desire to include all the poorer eastern european states in the project to bring up their standard of living.
Fantastic full-blooded capitalism in practice - removing the lefty aspects of the protectionism in the labour market and freeing employers to truly be able to employ the best labour (in Europe, at least). Papa is reliant on low-wage, highly-productive workers for the company he works for - without them, his bonus and options package would be far lower.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Free movement of labour is a great idea (should extend it to North America and Australia and developed Asia). The issue is that the EU has expanded into poor countries and indeed, the UK has never vetoed the entry of such a state.
Reply 5
yep stupid idea

controlled movement of people would benefit everyone so much
Reply 6
Original post by woodchuck
its fine if the countries in the system have roughly the same standard of living and culture, but if you have rich countries and poor in the same zone it will leave to depopulation of the poor countries.

yes its idiotic, and painfully predictable. but there was a desire to include all the poorer eastern european states in the project to bring up their standard of living.

How could it ever bring-up their standard of living? The money had to come from somewhere, or was the intention to steal money from the UK to give to Eastern Europe? **** that- we joined a trade union, not a charity!
Reply 7
Original post by sdotd
yep stupid idea

controlled movement of people would benefit everyone so much

Want to tell me how uneducated, unskilled people benefit the UK?
Reply 8
Original post by billydisco
Want to tell me how uneducated, unskilled people benefit the UK?

they mostly don't hence i want controlled immigration
Reply 9
Original post by sdotd
they mostly don't hence i want controlled immigration

Sorry, your original post sounded sarcastic.

-Some countries in the EU have a "culture of crime",

Please state which European countries have a "culture of crime". Do not be afraid of being specific

So now we've allowed every single poor European in to the UK, why don't we go the full mile and allow every single African, Afghan, Iraqi, Syrian and Bangladeshi to move here?

funny thing is- vast majority of EU migrants move here to work. not to suck on (the most idiotic in the EU) benefit system.
Actually, EU migrants are less likely to use benefit system than natives- will I hear your complains about work-shy Brits?

I find it funny how the EU has never proposed an equal level of social welfare benefits to be paid. Whats up, Romania not want to put their money where their mouth is? The UK welfare cap is £26,000, lets see Romania pay their citizens £26,000 for doing nothing. Lets see Romania pay-out child credits and £2,000-a-month housing benefits. Romania, you wanted equality for your citizens amongst the EU and now you got it. You've gone silent?

I find it funny when I hear such stupid comparisons.
If you would move to, lets say, Germany, Spain or Poland (or Romania)- you would be subjected to local laws in the same way as local, native people. Do you want benefits? Work for them (in the same way as natives do)!
Only UK is whinging about it, it wants to treat workshy Brits better than EU citizens.

How about immigrants' benefits are funded by their original country of origin? So Poland can fund all the child benefits of its citizens living in the UK and so can Romania...... then the UK Government can fund the benefits of British people living in Romania...... oh wait- there aren't any. This EU Freedom of Movement was a smart idea........ one-way traffic to the wealthier EU countries. Greaaaaat!

As long as they pay taxes to the UK government, they should be able to get benefits from the same government.

Only because Brits cannot sort their idiotic benefit system (which other country pays their citizens for not working?) doesn't mean that there is something wrong with non-natives using it.
Also- why are you so afraid of labour movement? Oh, I forgot- you have to roll up sleeves and actually start working. what a shame!
Reply 11
A few axioms:

-Anybody in the EU can move to any EU country (unless they are known to be a terrorist etc).

Well, no. The treaty right is to the free movement of workers. If someone comes to the UK and doesn't get a job in a reasonable amount of time, we are perfectly free to get them to leave.

Well, in fairness we don't pay an equal level of social welfare benefits across the UK. Many are consistent, yes, which prevents the entrenchment of economic disparity. But there are equally those which are not: the Local Housing Allowance used in the calculation of housing benefit will not provide the same level of support to someone in Bolton whose rent is £600 a month as it would to a person in London whose rent is the same.

Once economies converge more effectively across the EU, consistent welfare benefits would be rational. However the obvious point, for now, is that UK social security would be extremely generous by Romanian standards, while Romanian benefits would be paltry by UK standards: the cost of living is hugely different.

British people living in Romania...... oh wait- there aren't any.

The British Embassy these estimated there were 3,000 to 4,000 UK citizens in the country in 2013, so there are certainly some.

I'm not sure what problem you have with Romanians coming to Britain to work. If they want to come here, take a job, pay tax then I have no problem with them.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't find bullfighting any more barbaric than fox hunting to be honest. Getting killed by a sword seems to be just as painful as getting slowly ripped apart by hunting dogs. Dogfighting and badger baiting are all too common in the UK.
I completely agree with the OP, but the title asks whether or not something more idiotic has been thought up. The answer is yes, and that is religion
Reply 14
Original post by simon_g
funny thing is- vast majority of EU migrants move here to work. not to suck on (the most idiotic in the EU) benefit system.
Actually, EU migrants are less likely to use benefit system than natives- will I hear your complains about work-shy Brits?

Does earning £16,000 a year (paying about £900 a year in tax) cover:

-Increased NHS hospital costs
-Increased costs on emergency services
-Child welfare
-Increased education costs
-Increased transport infrastructure costs
-Increased housing costs
-Increased welfare costs due to child benefit
-Increased welfare costs due to wage stagnation (from increasing supply of labour)
-Increased costs for increasing the power/water utilities
-Increased costs for Doctors surgeries
-Increased costs for Dental surgeries

£900 a year tax included all of the above, does it? No, thought not.

Original post by simon_g
I find it funny when I hear such stupid comparisons.

We'll see who is stupid when you fail to answer the above.

Original post by simon_g
If you would move to, lets say, Germany, Spain or Poland (or Romania)- you would be subjected to local laws in the same way as local, native people. Do you want benefits? Work for them (in the same way as natives do)!

Why should British taxpayers give money to an immigrant, via benefits?

Original post by simon_g
Only UK is whinging about it, it wants to treat workshy Brits better than EU citizens.

Workshy brits: already in the UK, cannot have citizenship removed, so we're stuck with them.
EU immigrants: not in the UK and can be stopped from coming here

You honestly cannot see the difference between the two?

Original post by simon_g
As long as they pay taxes to the UK government, they should be able to get benefits from the same government.

Why? You think paying taxes suddenly makes you a benefit? It doesn't. Unless you're a super-high-skilled individual, chances are you aren't beneficial to our country. We dont need you, go elsewhere.

Original post by simon_g
Only because Brits cannot sort their idiotic benefit system (which other country pays their citizens for not working?) doesn't mean that there is something wrong with non-natives using it.

You would have no problem if 65 million British people came to your country and claimed benefits from your Government?

Original post by simon_g
Also- why are you so afraid of labour movement? Oh, I forgot- you have to roll up sleeves and actually start working. what a shame!

Gee I ****ing wonder?
Reply 15
Original post by L i b
Well, no. The treaty right is to the free movement of workers. If someone comes to the UK and doesn't get a job in a reasonable amount of time, we are perfectly free to get them to leave.

and all they have to do is pretend they are looking for a job.

Original post by L i b
Well, in fairness we don't pay an equal level of social welfare benefits across the UK. Many are consistent, yes, which prevents the entrenchment of economic disparity. But there are equally those which are not: the Local Housing Allowance used in the calculation of housing benefit will not provide the same level of support to someone in Bolton whose rent is £600 a month as it would to a person in London whose rent is the same.

If you cant afford to live in London, tough. Move to Bolton.

Original post by L i b
Once economies converge more effectively across the EU, consistent welfare benefits would be rational. However the obvious point, for now, is that UK social security would be extremely generous by Romanian standards, while Romanian benefits would be paltry by UK standards: the cost of living is hugely different.

Once the UK is made poorer, to make Romania wealthier?

Original post by L i b
I'm not sure what problem you have with Romanians coming to Britain to work. If they want to come here, take a job, pay tax then I have no problem with them.

Were the Romanians sleeping in Hyde Park for 2 years, working? Thats news to me.

I mean, its not like we have a housing shortage...... :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Original post by Fango_Jett
I don't find bullfighting any more barbaric than fox hunting to be honest. Getting killed by a sword seems to be just as painful as getting slowly ripped apart by hunting dogs. Dogfighting and badger baiting are all too common in the UK.

A minority of the UK support foxhunting, a majority of Spain supports bullfighting.
But OP, you are a capitalist, surely you should support the free movement of labour throughout markets?

:curious:
It worked until 2004, when countries with whom we do not share a similar standard of living were granted freedom of movement.
Reply 19
Original post by tengentoppa
It worked until 2004, when countries with whom we do not share a similar standard of living were granted freedom of movement.

I agree with this.

Its not rocket science, not as many from Western Europe will move to the UK because they dont feel the need to. They don't live in ****-hole countries.

Then, allow people from ****-hole countries to move- oh look, millions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending