The Student Room Group

A-levels changes

Hey, I'm going to be doing Maths/FM from scratch from Sept 2015 (I previously did it on MEI but now I have to do it on edexcel at my college).

I wanted to know, with the changes to A-levels will I have to do all my maths/FM exams over the course of 2 years or will I be able to do all 12 exams in June 2016?

Cheers
Original post by cherrysftw
Hey, I'm going to be doing Maths/FM from scratch from Sept 2015 (I previously did it on MEI but now I have to do it on edexcel at my college).

I wanted to know, with the changes to A-levels will I have to do all my maths/FM exams over the course of 2 years or will I be able to do all 12 exams in June 2016?

Cheers

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/reforms.html

Seems that Mathematics is not changing until Sept 2017? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by thymolphthalein
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/reforms.html

Seems that Mathematics is not changing until Sept 2017? :smile:

The specification itself isn't changing but I'm not sure if the 2 year course thing applies.
The specification itself isn't changing but I'm not sure if the 2 year course thing applies.

Ah, I see.

According to my understanding of the timeline below the listed reform subjects, yes you should be able to apply for all the exams in June 2016 OR take it over the course of two years in June 2016/2017.

Best to ask Edexcel themselves to be sure though, at either:

https://www.facebook.com/EdexcelStudents

or

https://twitter.com/EdexcelStudents

They've helped me out before regarding these exam reform shenanigans. :biggrin:

There are no changes to the maths specification including when you can take the exams until courses that start teaching in 2017. Exams under the current specification will be available in 2018 for students who finish their study in summer 2018 and mostly likely in 2019 to provide a resit opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Ah, I see.

According to my understanding of the timeline below the listed reform subjects, yes you should be able to apply for all the exams in June 2016 OR take it over the course of two years in June 2016/2017.

Best to ask Edexcel themselves to be sure though, at either:

https://www.facebook.com/EdexcelStudents

or

https://twitter.com/EdexcelStudents

They've helped me out before regarding these exam reform shenanigans. :biggrin:

Original post by gdunne42
There are no changes to the maths specification including when you can take the exams until courses that start teaching in 2017.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers lads.

So if I go to college in Sept 2015 to study: Maths/FM (edexcel) and Biology/Chemistry/Physics (AQA) will I be able to do everything as its been? All my AS in 2016 and A2 in 2017?

I've done maths/FM before so I'm confident on doing them all in 1 go, i've got an A at AS chemistry so I'm just doing A2 Chem. But doing everything else from scratch.
(edited 8 years ago)
Cheers lads.

So if I go to college in Sept 2015 to study: Maths/FM (edexcel) and Biology/Chemistry/Physics (AQA) will I be able to do everything as its been? All my AS in 2016 and A2 in 2017?

Maths will depend on how the college structures teaching. Most do AS in both for y12 and complete both in y13 but some do maths y12 and FM y13. Some do 7 units y12 and 5 in y13. You'll have to ask them.
The sciences will be the new syllabus that is examined at the end of 2 years. You will need to ask the college IF they will enter candidates for the AS at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Cheers lads.

I've done maths/FM before so I'm confident on doing them all in 1 go, i've got an A at AS chemistry so I'm just doing A2 Chem. But doing everything else from scratch.

I've heard that you'd have to do all the exams at the end of two years...

HOWEVER, the Edexcel website says that May/June 2016 will start first AS-level examinations for Phase 1 subjects (which includes Chem/Phy/Bio) and May/June 2017 will start first A-level examinations for the Phase 1 subjects.

I assume AQA would be the same as the changes were made because of Ofqual.
Reply 8
Maths will depend on how the college structures teaching. Most do AS in both for y12 and complete both in y13 but some do maths y12 and FM y13. Some do 7 units y12 and 5 in y13. You'll have to ask them. Whatever they do now won't change.
The sciences will be the new syllabus that is examined at the end of 2 years. You will need to ask the college IF they will enter candidates for the AS at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard that you'd have to do all the exams at the end of two years...HOWEVER, the Edexcel website says that May/June 2016 will start first AS-level examinations for Phase 1 subjects (which includes Chem/Phy/Bio) and May/June 2017 will start first A-level examinations for the Phase 1 subjects.I assume AQA would be the same as the changes were made because of Ofqual.

I'm gonna be self-teaching maths (quite frankly I know 90% of it as I was previously a keen mathematician). It seems the maths isn't changing which is brilliant but no clue as to whats happening with the science.

Called up AQA, specifically the science exams team and they said that the normal a-levels will be available till june 2017 but ofqual said something different.
What about on the OCR examboard if I have to resit year13 can I resit the same exams for sciences?
I'm gonna be self-teaching maths (quite frankly I know 90% of it as I was previously a keen mathematician). It seems the maths isn't changing which is brilliant but no clue as to whats happening with the science.

Called up AQA, specifically the science exams team and they said that the normal a-levels will be available till june 2017 but ofqual said something different.

Honestly, I don't know then.

But if AQA says you can do that and if Edexcel websites say they will allow AS and A2 years over two years, then they would be doing it? :confused:

Sorry I can't help you further on this one. :frown:

I have to admit to being confused with your situation. One minute you are starting A levels again at a new college, then you say you are self teaching A level maths.

If you are starting any 2 year A level science courses this September you will be doing the new A levels. IF your college chooses to enter you for AS in summer 2016 (optional) the results will not count towards the full A level you take in 2017.
Any exams for the old specifications will be for candidates who have already done their AS this summer, who do their A2 in 2016 and may get the opportunity for resits in 2017.
Some colleges offer 1 year fast track A levels, for those starting sept 2015 these would be under the old specification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmYourdog
What about on the OCR examboard if I have to resit year13 can I resit the same exams for sciences?

If you have just finished Y13 and need to resit, you will be able to next summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I have to admit to being confused with your situation. One minute you are starting A levels again at a new college, then you say you are self teaching A level maths.

If you are starting any 2 year A level science courses this September you will be doing the new A levels. IF your college chooses to enter you for AS in summer 2016 (optional) the results will not count towards the full A level you take in 2017.
Any exams for the old specifications will be for candidates who have already done their AS this summer, who do their A2 in 2016 and may get the opportunity for resits in 2017.
Some colleges offer 1 year fast track A levels, for those starting sept 2015 these would be under the old specification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You originally mentioned that schools normally do maths/FM over the course of 2 years, I will be self-teaching most of it so I can do everything in June 2016.

If the current system is extending till summer 2017, then I can start all 3 sciences on the old system as I will be starting Sept 2015?
(edited 8 years ago)

If the current system is extending till summer 2017, then I can start all 3 sciences on the old system as I will be starting Sept 2015?

No you can't.
Courses starting in September 2015 will be teaching the new syllabus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
No you can't.
Courses starting in September 2015 will be teaching the new syllabus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok so in essence, I will finish maths before science.

Quick Reply

Latest