The Student Room Group

Best Universities for Mechanical Engineering 2015

I need to know the best universities to study mechanical engineering (or general engineering) in the UK.
So far I think that Cambridge, Imperial and Southampton are definitely going to be my first, second and third choices. And I think Durham will be my fifth choice. Tell me what you think of these four choices so far and if some should change and what could my fourth be.
Here is a list of universities I compiled from the top 10 of various league tables. Ignore the order.
I know you're not supposed to put so much weight on league tables and russell group membership, but I need to cut these uni's down to a smaller list.

Cambridge
Imperial
Nottingham
Southampton
Sheffield
Bath
Bristol
Leeds
Manchester
Durham
Lancaster
Cardiff
Cranfield
Warwick
Exeter
Edinburgh
Loughborough
York
Dundee
(edited 8 years ago)
Odd choice of Scottish unis for mech eng.
Reply 2
Original post by PineapplePol
Odd choice of Scottish unis for mech eng.

why is it odd?
Original post by TartarusEnosa
I need to know the best universities to study mechanical engineering (or general engineering) in the UK.
So far I think that Cambridge, Imperial and Southampton are definitely going to be my first, second and third choices. And I think Durham will be my fifth choice. Tell me what you think of these four choices so far and if some should change and what could my fourth be.
Here is a list of universities I compiled from the top 10 of various league tables. Ignore the order.
I know you're not supposed to put so much weight on league tables and russell group membership, but I need to cut these uni's down to a smaller list.

Cambridge
Imperial
Nottingham
Southampton
Sheffield
Bath
Bristol
Leeds
Manchester
Durham
Lancaster
Cardiff
Cranfield
Warwick
Exeter
Edinburgh
Loughborough
York
Dundee

I'll give you the views on few of the unis I applied to in your list (Sorry I was half asleep whiles typing this so if some bits dont make sense, my apologies)

I'll advice you to look at the course content of the courses too (and visit open days). I applied to really top universities, Bath, Bristol,etc but I ended up firming Southampton.

For Bath, it is a great university but the aerospace course (I applied to aero) was pretty rubbish as it was basically a mech and I want aero. However since you want to do mech, I will say its a pretty good uni.

My view on Leeds uni is that they choose the easiest option for everything in their course. For programming languages, the do crap loads of labview programming which isnt a bad language but in the real world, you'll be using c/c++ whiles using labview for interface (sorry if you dont know what labview/c/c++ is - they're programming languages). So in short if you're striving to be the best mech engineer, go for the harder options :P

Bristol is on par with Southampton, both have similar courses and good on league tables. However I am a person who is very practical and Southampton uni has more practical fun projects. For example at Bristol in 2nd year, theres a group project for students to build just the wing of a plane. Whereas at Soton, the project is to build a fully functioning UAV and designing the wing is only like 20% of the whole thing so overall you learn more throughout the project as you do more than just a wing. I prefer building things that facking fly in the air. On the other hand, Bristol has year abroad which sounds fun! (Soton has year abroad too but Bristol has lots of options for the uni you can go to)

Imperial/Cambridge - top obviously but courses look theoretical as fack- so its up to you

Overall my reasons for firming Soton: Lots of modules to pick from, fun Projects throughout course, work spaces specifically for my course (they have a campus just for aero eng), campus uni, close to the sea so lots of water related sports, can even go ton france for a weekend! So you should definitely find good reasons for choosing your uni's dont just base it on reputation
I'm doing mech eng in Scotland and my 5 UCAS choices were Strathclyde, Heriot Watt, Robert Gordon, Aberdeen and Edinburgh with the first 2 being my top choices. Dundee doesn't do M Eng just B Eng. Strathclyde is considered the most prestigious uni for mech eng amongst many Scottish school kids thinking of engineering. That's where i chose to go. If I'd wanted to be in the oil industry I'd have chosen one of the Aberdeen unis.
It's maybe different if you're an international student though and want a degree from a uni people have heard of rather than one with good employment links and reputation in the UK although Strathy does well in formula student.
Original post by a10
why is it odd?

Like PineapplePol says, Strathclyde has an outstanding reputation for Engineering within the industry. It's absence alone makes me heavily skeptical of this list.

Demonstrable evidence league tables are rubbish.
Okay.
I've narrowed it down to:
Cambridge
Imperial
Southampton
Durham
Leeds
Original post by TartarusEnosa
Okay.
I've narrowed it down to:
Cambridge
Imperial
Southampton
Durham
Leeds

I'm pretty sure all those uni's requires A*AA or AAA? Swap Leeds for a uni with a lower requirement unless if you're sure you'll get the grades. If you pick uni's with same requirement it'll be a dilemma when you get offers from them and have to pick one, then you'll making threads about which one to choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bigboateng
I'm pretty sure all those uni's requires A*AA or AAA? Swap Leeds for a uni with a lower requirement unless if you're sure you'll get the grades. If you pick uni's with same requirement it'll be a dilemma when you get offers from them and have to pick one, then you'll making threads about which one to choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The grades are the easy part.
They're in order of preference, my firm will be the highest up that's given me an offer.
Mechanical Engineering first year at Leeds here. Now whilst it's true that perhaps some of the first year modules aren't the most challenging things in the world, they do cover the basics. Later on, things do get more difficult (Vibration and Control in second year) and (perhaps) more interesting. From the perspective of coding, in first year we learn Matlab, for all of your computation mathematical needs and also LabVIEW. Whilst people talk down LabVIEW its extremely powerful and is increasingly being used in industry. I've got a year in industry with National Instruments (the company who make LabVIEW) and it's used in almost every mechatronic company out there, everything from Intel and Nokia to Rolls Royce, so I wouldn't worry too much about it's industry application.

When picking your university, you need to consider the opportunities outside of the course that are perhaps not so widely known about. For example, at leeds we have something called the UGRLS program, or Under Graduate Research and Leadership Scholarship that essentially pays students to conduct research in groundbreaking areas over the course of two summers. It's amazing and it an absolutely awesome thing to put on your CV. There are loads more opportunities out there, but I won't list them.

At the end of the day, you need to make the decision, but considering Leeds in 1st with Imperial (Guardian) they must be doing something right.

Also, when I was applying, I chose Cambridge rather than Imperial instead of having them both on there. They offer such different courses that if one suits you, the other almost certainly won't.

Hope that helps, sorry if some of it doesn't make sense, really tired atm.

Quick Reply

Latest