The Student Room Group

I'm considering changing degrees after my first term

I picked a degree in mechanical engineering but I don't really think it's for me. 1 term in and I find the math too difficult as it is. I feel like if I continue I'm gonna be left further behind. So I'm not sure if I should change. I did a btech in mechanical engineering so I don't know how many opportunities are outside engineering. And I'm not sure that I'm particularly good at anything. Any advice or alternative degrees?
Original post by Baacil
I picked a degree in mechanical engineering but I don't really think it's for me. 1 term in and I find the math too difficult as it is. I feel like if I continue I'm gonna be left further behind. So I'm not sure if I should change. I did a btech in mechanical engineering so I don't know how many opportunities are outside engineering. And I'm not sure that I'm particularly good at anything. Any advice or alternative degrees?

Is the BTEC the only level 3 qualification that you have?

Also, if you do study outside of mechanical engineering, what subjects would you ideally want to do? Notably, you won't want something in maths, electric/electrical engineering, physics, etc. However, it's difficult to suggest subjects if you don't specify since you can apply to a fair few subjects with just a BTEC in any subject e.g. business, psychology, sociology, etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1

Is the BTEC the only level 3 qualification that you have?

Also, if you do study outside of mechanical engineering, what subjects would you ideally want to do? Notably, you won't want something in maths, electric/electrical engineering, physics, etc. However, it's difficult to suggest subjects if you don't specify since you can apply to a fair few subjects with just a BTEC in any subject e.g. business, psychology, sociology, etc.

Yes the level 3 extended Diploma is the only qualification I have. And right now I'm not really sure what kind of degree to look into. The only thing I really enjoy is product designing and stuff like that
Original post by Baacil

Hi there,

I would recommend speaking to someone at your university about it, they may be able to help point you in the direction of resources that can help. If not they will be able to help you to think about other courses etc.
I do think that the best course of action would be to speak to your personal tutor or a lecturer at the university as they know the courses best.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Reply 4
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador

Hi there,

I would recommend speaking to someone at your university about it, they may be able to help point you in the direction of resources that can help. If not they will be able to help you to think about other courses etc.
I do think that the best course of action would be to speak to your personal tutor or a lecturer at the university as they know the courses best.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland

Thank you. I might do that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending