The Student Room Group

£15,000 in savings - How to utilise it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
I don't think I've ever seen binary trading associated with 'low risk' :wink:

Care to show us a screenshot of your trade history? Feel free to edit out account specifics of course.

Well now this looks bas on me, but not right now. There are some technical issues with IQOption, they've told me that it'll be resolved in around an hour so I'm locked out of my account until then (an issue with phone verification but it's not letting me in). But give me an hour or two and I'll be happy to post a screenshot.
Reply 81
Original post by Lemon Haze
This is an example taken from my position history:

Position made of AAPL:

Execution price: 126.38
Bought: 1000

Execution price: 128.13
Sold: 1000

Result (GBP): £1,188.44

You traded $126,360 worth of stock in a single purchase?
Reply 82
Original post by Joseph Stalin
Well now this looks bas on me, but not right now. There are some technical issues with IQOption, they've told me that it'll be resolved in around an hour so I'm locked out of my account until then (an issue with phone verification but it's not letting me in). But give me an hour or two and I'll be happy to post a screenshot.

No problem :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by ConnorBR
Hey guys,

Apologies - I'm sure this type of post is written almost weekly, just thought I'd explain my situation and see what opportunities are available.

I'm currently on a placement year at IBM, I'll be starting my final year in September. Over the years I've been able to accumulate around £15k in savings and I'm really unsure what to do with it. I hate knowing it's just sitting in my bank as opposed to earning some interest/profit.

I'm fairly business-minded, always thinking of ways to invest, profit etc etc. I gave Ebay/Facebook/Craigslist arbitrage a go but didn't find it sustainable - Yeah, I made a bit of money... but it wasn't worth the hours I spent searching through websites.

I've had a few ideas to create a blog/website and profit via affiliate links, Clickbank etc however I don't have the time to create content at the moment, so that's kinda out of the window.

I have some in an ISA currently. I don't want to add the rest into an ISA purely because I like having "financial security", if anything goes wrong I want to have some money available, so ISA's are out of the window.

Any proven methods guys? - I'd love to toy with shares but I'm not too clued up. I've also heard that £15k isn't going to make much money, so it comes down to whether the risk is worth the reward! (if any)

I'm sure I'll get a few people say "parents money" so I'll state now that I've earned this all through jobs. I've been working since I was 16.

Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Connor

TSR is not the place to ask for financial advice
Original post by Reue
You traded $126,360 worth of stock in a single purchase?

Woah where did that figure come from?
Reply 85

1000 at 126.38
Reply 86

Or was this in a virtual portfolio :s-smilie:
An ISA is the way to go imo, you're protected up to £83 or 85k and if you shop around you can get easy access ones for lower rates or more restricted ones for higher rates, and I'd suggest the latter because it doesn't look like the bank rate is going to pick up anytime soon and when it does it will be gradual. Also have a look at premium bonds, you can hold up to £50k and they're pretty much 100% financially secure. There's always the stock market, but 15k isn't much in there in the grand scheme of things and it's risky.
Reply 88
Original post by mm14
TSR is not the place to ask for financial advice

Thank you for your words of wisdom
Reply 89
Original post by Reue
A professional stock trader would know that they shouldnt give stock tips without a full disclosure.

I buy stock.. does that make me a stock trader? :rolleyes:

1st rule of stock trading... Never buy stocks yourself!
Original post by rrobson
Check out Moneysavingexpert's guide to current account savings: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts

What it boils down to is that you can split your money between a few current accounts and get good interest. You can have:

£2k in TSB at 5%
£5k in Lloyds at 4%
£5k in Bank of Scotland at 3%
£3k in Tesco Bank at 3%

This way your £15k makes you about £540 a year (before tax), with no risk as they're all current accounts and covered by FSCS guarantee.

They all have minimum pay in amounts each month, but there's nothing to stop the same lump of cash doing a round trip A -> B -> C -> D -> A, they all get their deposits, money ends up back where it started. Just set up standing orders a couple of days apart each and it'll take care of itself.

I've done something similar - also Nationwide offer 5% for the first year, or at least they did last year (first 3k only I think, so a bit better than TSB), and I'm using Santander123 which pays 3% on balances up to 20k - small charge (2 pounds/ month I think) for the account, but much easier than the hassle of moving money between multiple accounts each month to make sure enough money is going into each one to get the interest.
Original post by Reue
1000 at 126.38

That's the share price i think given his bottom figure. He bought £1000 worth at that share price and then sold it at the other share price making £100+. (i think).
Original post by ConnorBR
Hey guys,

Apologies - I'm sure this type of post is written almost weekly, just thought I'd explain my situation and see what opportunities are available.

I'm currently on a placement year at IBM, I'll be starting my final year in September. Over the years I've been able to accumulate around £15k in savings and I'm really unsure what to do with it. I hate knowing it's just sitting in my bank as opposed to earning some interest/profit.

I'm fairly business-minded, always thinking of ways to invest, profit etc etc. I gave Ebay/Facebook/Craigslist arbitrage a go but didn't find it sustainable - Yeah, I made a bit of money... but it wasn't worth the hours I spent searching through websites.

I've had a few ideas to create a blog/website and profit via affiliate links, Clickbank etc however I don't have the time to create content at the moment, so that's kinda out of the window.

I have some in an ISA currently. I don't want to add the rest into an ISA purely because I like having "financial security", if anything goes wrong I want to have some money available, so ISA's are out of the window.

Any proven methods guys? - I'd love to toy with shares but I'm not too clued up. I've also heard that £15k isn't going to make much money, so it comes down to whether the risk is worth the reward! (if any)

I'm sure I'll get a few people say "parents money" so I'll state now that I've earned this all through jobs. I've been working since I was 16.

Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Connor

You seem like a very organised , Future thinking person.
Good on ya lad !!

Have you ever thought about making profit through online trading. Buying stocks and selling them to make profit etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Gamble it all and then make another thread on how to utilise £30,000 from winnings.
Reply 94
Original post by Rakas21
That's the share price i think given his bottom figure. He bought £1000 worth at that share price and then sold it at the other share price making £100+. (i think).

If that were so then why has he tried to claim a 1k+ profit? The numbers only add up if taken that 1000 is the number of shares purchased at the $126 price each.

It's more likely he was talking crap and has now been caught out :wink:
Reply 95
Now I trade short-term binary options, from 60 seconds to 30 minutes. It's much more profitable.

Binary trades are something everyone can do and its easy because you can earn yourself a quick 10k while sitting on the toilet.

Playing poker with the market
http://web.archive.org/web/20130627075244/http://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/2010/07/27/dont-gamble-on-binary-options
Original post by EPluribus Unum
You can never lose in the share market over the long term, unless you invest in very hopeless companies, but you can walk down the high street and see what is doing well and what has potential to do well in the future.

just lol

the financial advice on this forum is shocking.
Reply 97

Oh dear Joseph, it seems we will never discover if you were telling the truth about your big trader ways
Reply 98
Original post by gr8wizard10
the financial advice on this forum is shocking.

What do you expect from a pool of predominantly students still living off of loans and parents?
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I've done something similar - also Nationwide offer 5% for the first year, or at least they did last year (first 3k only I think, so a bit better than TSB), and I'm using Santander123 which pays 3% on balances up to 20k - small charge (2 pounds/ month I think) for the account, but much easier than the hassle of moving money between multiple accounts each month to make sure enough money is going into each one to get the interest.

it's not really a hassle, standing orders are a thing you know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending