The Student Room Group

Travelling Italy by Train

So me and my boyfriend have decided to travel some of Italy via train, we were thinking, Venice - Florence (day trip to Pisa) - Rome - Naples (day trip to Pompeii) - possibly a few days by a beach or lake to end?

What do people think of that route/destinations? Any tips on places to stay or things to see?

Any ideas on a nice beach or lake place to end? (preferably fairly cheap)

Or any other less known places nearish these that are worth a trip?

Places aren't set in stone we may change the direction or miss one out depending on flight costs from the UK to the start and end.
Are you going to buy an inter rail ticket? I recommend Florence , Firenze.
Reply 2
Hi! I'm Italian myself so maybe I can help :smile: Your itinerary looks good; if you want a couple of other suggestions I would add day trips to Padua (near Venice, a nice city overall and you could see Giotto's paintings there) and Siena (from Florence). Personally I like Siena better than Pisa, but I understand you might want to see the tower there.

If you want to go to the sea from Naples, you are in a great spot: right south of naples is the famous Costiera Amalfitana, which is truly beautiful :smile: I have to warn you, though, it's very expensive. But then again, so is Venice... Frankly, it might be an unpopular opinion but I wouldn't go to Venice unless you have a lot of money to spend - maybe I'd just make it a day trip from Padua. I was there a couple of times, but you have to budget a large sum for accommodation and food; let alone other accessory stuff like a gondola ride, which I'm sorry to say, is a total rip off. If you have that kind of money definitely do it, it's a once in a lifetime experience! But if I couldn't afford I'd prefer to go somewhere else instead.

Hope this helped!
Reply 3
Original post by Arieh
Hi! I'm Italian myself so maybe I can help :smile: Your itinerary looks good; if you want a couple of other suggestions I would add day trips to Padua (near Venice, a nice city overall and you could see Giotto's paintings there) and Siena (from Florence). Personally I like Siena better than Pisa, but I understand you might want to see the tower there.

If you want to go to the sea from Naples, you are in a great spot: right south of naples is the famous Costiera Amalfitana, which is truly beautiful :smile: I have to warn you, though, it's very expensive. But then again, so is Venice... Frankly, it might be an unpopular opinion but I wouldn't go to Venice unless you have a lot of money to spend - maybe I'd just make it a day trip from Padua. I was there a couple of times, but you have to budget a large sum for accommodation and food; let alone other accessory stuff like a gondola ride, which I'm sorry to say, is a total rip off. If you have that kind of money definitely do it, it's a once in a lifetime experience! But if I couldn't afford I'd prefer to go somewhere else instead.

Hope this helped!

Thanks, I'll definitely look into Padua, as I've never heard of that! I've been to Venice before but quite a few years ago with my family so I never paid for anything but know it is expensive, I wouldn't be too bothered about missing that off but I think my boyfriend really wants to go see it so maybe a day trip there would be good!

thanks for your help!
Reply 4
Original post by Paladian
Are you going to buy an inter rail ticket? I recommend Florence , Firenze.

I'm definitely going to look into it more when I have dates confirmed (not going until spring/summer next year) but at the moment it looks cheaper to just buy each tickets as they're pretty cheap to get in advance online and I've heard a lot require reservations so is 10e to book each train that needs one on top of the price interail ticket.
Original post by jess1808
I'm definitely going to look into it more when I have dates confirmed (not going until spring/summer next year) but at the moment it looks cheaper to just buy each tickets as they're pretty cheap to get in advance online and I've heard a lot require reservations so is 10e to book each train that needs one on top of the price interail ticket.

Rail is cheap in Italy. Can I also recommend Verona and Milan?

Quick Reply

Latest