The Student Room Group

Should we stop selling holidays to Tunisia?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alyssa_kassar
North Africa but I was referring to Arab speaking countries in North Africa and the Middle East. We know you like some sun to spoil yourselves every once a year but go to other parts of the world where it's actually peaceful. We have an Isis crisis at the moment

Sure you were.
you forgot to mention they rank with Syria.

Either way no, this is the aim of the filth... you shoot a few tourists and they don't come back the economy implodes and you have even more angry young people out of work to be recruited. Same happened in Lucknow a couple of decades ago.
Original post by GuppyFox
I was reading this article on how the foreign office think Tunisia is of no bigger terror threat than Spain or France.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/two-massacres-in-three-months-so-why-does-the-foreign-office-insist-tunisia-is-no-more-dangerous-than-spain-or-the-dordogne-10352920.html

It's a thorny issue because we could stop sending tourists over on holiday, but then their tourist-reliant economy could collapse and making the country vulnerable to further attacks.

However on the flip side and probably more obvious stance, should we stop selling holidays to people in destinations that are getting quite dangerous, especially with the poor Libya/Tunisia border?

So should we be doing something about this?

collapse of their economy would actually teach them lesson...make the Tunisian and their government aware how destructive takfiri ideologies can be... and they should take strong stance to secure their guest safety
This is the SECOND time in one year.... i mean why wud anyone go there... plenty of very secured peached around...
The Nanny State should stop people from going on holiday to dangerous places because people are incapable of making the right decisions, they need the Nanny State to make decisions for them.
I would love to go to Tunisia, and was thinking about it before the attacks happened. I don't think this would deter me. I would love to see some of the historic and beautiful North African countries before they are completely taken over by Islamists and the ancient history is eroded and destroyed.
If we do that then we might as well stop selling holidays to Spain [Madrid Bombing] USA[9/11] Britain France, Norway and everywhere else that has suffered terrorist attacks,
Reply 26
Original post by Alyssa_kassar
People should already know that there's chaos in the Middle East,why travel in the first place.

Tunisia is not in the middle east.
As it seems there are many people in this thread that fail at basic geography here is a map to help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always assumed there was already the highest level of warning by a foreign office travel advisory to travelling there.

Since it's in the middle-east, surrounded by unstable regimes, and a big ass dessert where terrorists groups like to hide out in, not to mention the Arab Spring sorta began in Tunisia to.
Original post by thunder_chunky
I would love to go to Tunisia, and was thinking about it before the attacks happened. I don't think this would deter me. I would love to see some of the historic and beautiful North African countries before they are completely taken over by Islamists and the ancient history is eroded and destroyed.

greece is safer... plenty of ancient stuff... and hey they need ur money now
Original post by SonicOfPron
If we do that then we might as well stop selling holidays to Spain [Madrid Bombing] USA[9/11] Britain France, Norway and everywhere else that has suffered terrorist attacks,

Tourists were not the first target in all these examples above... therefore ur logic is rejected
Why should we stop selling holidays to Tunisia. There must have been thousands and thousands of tourists in the country at the time and only a microscopic number died. In the grand scheme of things people would still be safe going. Many Tunisians bravely faced the terrorist and destroying the tourist industry and therefore putting them out of a job would show a certain amount of ingratitude. I have just came back from Morocco which is a North African Muslim country and I never felt in any danger. Should travel to Morocco be banned? No! It is grossly unfair to destroy the livelihoods of thousands of people because of the actions of one man. Many developing countries that could be viewed as being vulnerable to terrorism rely heavily on tourism so banning travel to these countries would have huge negative repercussions. There have been numerous terrorist attacks in France recently so does that mean we should ban travel to the country? Terrorists can strike anywhere and by crippling the Tunisian tourist industry we would play right into their hands as many Muslims would become disillusioned and angry and therefore more likely to become terrorists. What about free will? If someone wants to travel to Tunisia who are we to stop them?
Original post by Rashid299
Tourists were not the first target in all these examples above... therefore ur logic is rejected

But a terrorist wants to inflect the biggest damage and all these places have a high concentration of tourists, therefor everyone is a target.

Can you also back your claims up that tourists weren't the first target?
i think tourism iin most muslim majority countries has been affected for a long time - certainly western tourism is much more reluctant to go - and jsut like anything to do with islam, its normal muslims that suffer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending