The Student Room Group

Literature of War A2 Coursework.

Hi guys!

For my A2 literature coursework, the title is Literature of War. I need a little help choosing texts. I've decided to focus on Japanese literature, however I'm not sure whether my texts are literary enough, or even if I'm allowed to do 3 translated texts! I haven't been given much information by my teachers.

I've got a list of texts I'm going to choose from:
'Black Rain'
'Fires on the plain'
'Penguin post-war japanese poetry'
'Hiroshima'

If anyone could offer any advice regarding the suitability of my texts I would be very grateful!
Original post by Nahimjustaworm
Hi guys!

For my A2 literature coursework, the title is Literature of War. I need a little help choosing texts. I've decided to focus on Japanese literature, however I'm not sure whether my texts are literary enough, or even if I'm allowed to do 3 translated texts! I haven't been given much information by my teachers.

I've got a list of texts I'm going to choose from:
'Black Rain'
'Fires on the plain'
'Penguin post-war japanese poetry'
'Hiroshima'

If anyone could offer any advice regarding the suitability of my texts I would be very grateful!

To save face, you should perhaps choose something of a better standard. The Great War has fantastic literature from that canon. Perhaps you want to spread your three text allowance to focus on three different wars? I'd either. Oriental literature is a hard one and is more of an undergraduate research topic than coursework.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
To save face, you should perhaps choose something of a better standard. The Great War has fantastic literature from that canon. Perhaps you want to spread your three text allowance to focus on three different wars? I'd either. Oriental literature is a hard one and is more of an undergraduate research topic than coursework.

Yeah, that was a concern of mine. I'll discuss with my teacher about the Japanese novels. If not i've decided I'll do 'A Farewell to Arms', 'Catch 22' or 'Slaughterhouse Five'. Any chance you could offer some guidance on texts to compare with these?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nahimjustaworm
Yeah, that was a concern of mine. I'll discuss with my teacher about the Japanese novels. If not i've decided I'll do 'A Farewell to Arms', 'Catch 22' or 'Slaughterhouse Five'. Any chance you could offer some guidance on texts to compare with these?

I recently just finished Farewell and was not a fan. Found the woman seriously annoyed and quite frankly delusional and arguably mad!

I think Birdsong goes well with Farewell as both deal with the binary oppositions of war and nature. And the futility of war. But that's all I can advise you on really!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending