The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I recognise that morality is a subjective issue. In my view it is immoral to place a distinction between men and women and heterosexuals and homosexuals, but another person can claim that putting women on par with men is immoral, or homosexuality is immoral, however, the basic Western principles (and I place emphasis on Western) on human rights and individuality rebut the acts carried out by all other countries.

TommehR, you argue that it is wrong for us in the Western world to argue against other jurisdictions for using capital punishment as an appropriate punishment, as we ourselves used it for centuries. In my view, the precise fact that we used the death penalty and other arbitrary punishment methods in the past and have come through realizing that they were immoral is a good enough reason to argue against other jurisdictions who use it today.
You're so judgmental of others. They haven't reached the same stage as us, they have a religion which is integrated into their society so strongly and tells them to execute for certain things etc. The "used it in the past" argument is a bad one, however, I'll give you that. How can you say our policy "rebuts" others, at best it is a contrary assertion,... the population of those not signing up to individuality may well be higher than those who do! If you made the world a democracy, that view may prevail (and many say that you need democracy for human rights to be realised). Please, think before you post.
Reply 42
-1984-
TommehR, you argue that it is wrong for us in the Western world to argue against other jurisdictions for using capital punishment as an appropriate punishment, as we ourselves used it for centuries. In my view, the precise fact that we used the death penalty and other arbitrary punishment methods in the past and have come through realizing that they were immoral is a good enough reason to argue against other jurisdictions who use it today.
There is nothing to say that capital punishment is objectively immoral though. The reason that on a subjective level we think it is immoral is due to a large number of events and shifts in our cultural beliefs which were completely unpredictable and random. We could quite easily have developed the belief that capital punishment is morally and legally a good punishment for even more crimes, perhaps even all crimes (and there are certainly elements in our society who would still argue this). Then we might well be arguing in completely different ways. Countries who retain the death penalty might have decided to stop using it and then we might have decided that they were wrong to do this. Morality is an extremely subjective thing and is a debate which has taken place for many years at a far more advanced level than this.

There is nothing to say that in twenty years our cultural and moral beliefs might have once again shifted to make capital punishment morally acceptable. The way you talk, you act as if the West should be the moral compass for the whole world.

I agree wholeheartedly that capital punishment is an awful thing. But we shouldn't go around trying to enforce our own moral beliefs against others when they have only recently changed and in all probability may change again in the foreseeable future.
Yay, TommehR is right... the moral compass is a very eloquent way of putting it. Takes notes for essay :biggrin:.
I don't think I am going to get to entrenched in this debate but talking of 'hangings' what did people on here make of Saddam's.
Reply 45
Laura_BCL
I don't think I am going to get to entrenched in this debate but talking of 'hangings' what did people on here make of Saddam's.
Same as most people. It was Iraq's decision to deliver justice in the form of capital punishment and so we should respect their right to do that. However, the way in which it was carried out was pretty appalling.
Reply 46
TommehR
However, the way in which it was carried out was pretty appalling.

Yes, there clearly wouldn't have been anywhere near the amount of press attention had the execution been handled 'professionally' (for want of a better word).
It is the inevitable ritual which always makes me grind my teeth with horror not the principle of the death itself. I can remember when I was 11 reading the Guardian (or trying to read my Mum's) and seeing 3 men executed one after the other. Each witnessed what had happened to the first man. I am not sure whether we should always symphatise with horrific killers but at least know better ourselves if we are punishing their behaviour because it is wrong. If it is wrong, it is wrong basically in my eyes- so don't copy it and set a better example and at least put them to death with humanity.
Reply 48
-1984-
I recognise that morality is a subjective issue. In my view it is immoral to place a distinction between men and women and heterosexuals and homosexuals, but another person can claim that putting women on par with men is immoral, or homosexuality is immoral, however, the basic Western principles (and I place emphasis on Western) on human rights and individuality rebut the acts carried out by all other countries.

You're arguments don't make sense. I think members, such as TommehR, were simply saying that we will define anything as wrong or 'immoral' if it is placed outside our own culture's beliefs or assumptions of what is right or wrong. Yes, as a westerner, I think the certain acts you have alluded to are wrong and should not be practiced - but that's due to my own moral conscience. Who defines our morality though? And what makes ours right and others wrong? I'm sure in the future plenty more acts, which we frequently partake in in society today, will be newly defined as 'wrong' or 'immoral'. Take drink driving for example - no one cared about it twenty years ago but now we all severely look down upon drink drivers.
The fact is our morals seem to be frequently updated and the only reason I can see for this is due to social change - if the majority of citizens at the time, in that generation, start to view something as wrong - then it gets added to our list of 'immoral' things. Therefore, I can see no reason why certain acts should not be carried on in foreign countries if the majority of citizens still view them as acceptable. If we are to object to this and try and impose our conflicting moral beliefs - is this not a form of cultural imperialism?
- I think the real issue here is whether the people in these countries are being given the chance to speak out on whether they view a certain practice as wrong or whether their views are taken into account. (But then again is democracy not also a western idea?... Jesus did not encourage a democracy did he. No one criticises him of being immoral do they? :P)
I really don't agree with capital punishment, whatever the crime... I didn't like the morbid fascination Sky News had with showing that video over and over.
Reply 50
Erm, i think i read in the paper yesterday that the States has the third highest rate of capital punishment behind China and Iran...

Anyway, all this talk of honour killing etc is a bit silly, a murder is a murder and should be punished no matter where you are. It's wrong.

Everyone in a capital punishment society would be aware of the risk involved if they commit such extreme offences. I'm not backing it, im just saying that there's a correlation between awareness of punishment and actually commiting a crime.
dragon_1706
I really don't agree with capital punishment, whatever the crime... I didn't like the morbid fascination Sky News had with showing that video over and over.

Agreed. I was with my 8 and 10 year cousins that day. One of them is one of these wizz kids with a learning age of 16+, not hard to explain to him (oohh the swot), but it really distressed him and shook him up. I guess as adults we should face the reality of what happened in Iraq but they could have shown more sensitivity to infant day time viewers.
Reply 52
I am not arguing for cultural imperialism, nor should we force sovereign states to follow our ideals and morals.

I recognise that our morals change all the time. For example, a few decades ago, homosexual acts were illegal in the UK, but now we place it on par with heterosexuality. I recognise that it would, objectively, be inaccurate to label our system as the 'best'. The basis of my argument is that we should uphold our system in the belief that it is the most just, fair and shielding. Obviously our legal system and laws represent our morals and views in the West, but we should not be afraid to endorse, verify and promote our laws.

This will almost certainly be a controversial argument, but in my view, the morals of the world is moving towards that of the West. The legal system and the general laws of the West should not, in my view, be seen as distinct to the West, but should be seen as one end of a rope, which I shall call the 'world-wide moral rope' (lol). Our morals and laws are not distinct from the morals and laws of other countries. We are merely ahead of them.

As for the despicable execution of Saddam Hussein, you will not be surprised that I was against the hanging because I oppose the death penalty under all conditions, even for monsters such as Saddam Hussein. I do not respect Iraq's decision to execute the former dictator, but I understand, considering the anger of the Iraqi people, and the morals and views of the people of the Middle-East, why the decision to hang was taken.
1984, you are indicative of a cultural imperialist despite not saying so. Your rope argument is, no offence, one of the biggest displays of such.

Islamic countries will NEVER conform to our way of thinking. Their views on punishments haven't changed in hundreds of years, and there is nothing to suggest they are going to. INdeed, with the increased formation of radical groups, it's possible that they could even get worse to take but one example.

Comments like "we are merely ahead of them" make sense for countries such as Singapore which is a modern democracy (although I hesitate to call it a liberal democracy, for a few reasons), but simply does not work for every country in the world. Sorry man, but what you just said is exactly what I would expect from the typical HR student in the UK, with the ECHR caselaw integrated into your mind.

I am by no means supporting some of the stuff done in these countries, ie apostasy punishments, but I do object to your narrow minded "world-wide moral rope".

Re Saddam: they should be allowed to execute, but yeah procedurally it was a shambles. There are calculations which you can do concerning body weight etc to get rope length right, and they are not complex... (not that I know much about it ahem, I didn't research it...).
Reply 54
Lewisy-boy
1984, you are indicative of a cultural imperialist despite not saying so. Your rope argument is, no offence, one of the biggest displays of such.

Islamic countries will NEVER conform to our way of thinking. Their views on punishments haven't changed in hundreds of years, and there is nothing to suggest they are going to. INdeed, with the increased formation of radical groups, it's possible that they could even get worse to take but one example.

Comments like "we are merely ahead of them" make sense for countries such as Singapore which is a modern democracy (although I hesitate to call it a liberal democracy, for a few reasons), but simply does not work for every country in the world. Sorry man, but what you just said is exactly what I would expect from the typical HR student in the UK, with the ECHR caselaw integrated into your mind.

I am by no means supporting some of the stuff done in these countries, ie apostasy punishments, but I do object to your narrow minded "world-wide moral rope".

You say that Islamic countries will never 'conform' to our way of thinking, but one cannot help but bring up Turkey to rebut this claim. Turkey is 95% (approx) Muslim, but for almost a century, they have been a model example of a Western Muslim nation. Although Islamic radicalism is rife in modern society, in a similar way to Christian radicalism in the US and Africa, this should not negate the advances made in Muslim countries in general in regards to human rights.

As for the 'world-wide moral rope' argument, I myself am not in complete agreement with the idea, but I do think it is correct and one can see the merits of the idea after an observation of the world and the way its heading over the past century or so.

I recognise your argument that my view is 'narrow', and that all laws are founded upon the culture to which they apply, but how do you, as a law student (I assume), justify, at least at the very basic level, our legal systems and laws in the West? If you objectively see no difference between our legal system and our law, and the legal system of Saudi Arabia, for example, what is the rationale behind our system and laws, and the justification?
Reply 55
We in the West, when talking about the economy, label ourselves first-would countries or economically developed, and assert that China, Iran and Ethiophia (for example)as economically undeveloped. Why don't we use the same terminology to deal with the issue of the law, human rights and morals? So for example, we can call France a morally developed country and China (for example) a morally (or legally) undeveloped country.

However, I must stress that when I mean morally undeveloped, I do not mean immoral.

Obviously, economics and morality/legal system are not the same thing, but perhaps this is an issue which we can discuss.

When considering the economy, we don't say "Well you cannot call Iran a economically undeveloped state because they do things different there". We hold the entire world to a Western (capitalist) built standards, so why not hold the entire world accountable to one human rights based morality standard?
Reply 56
-1984-
We in the West, when talking about the economy, label ourselves first-would countries or economically developed, and assert that China, Iran and Ethiophia (for example)as economically undeveloped. Why don't we use the same terminology to deal with the issue of the law, human rights and morals? So for example, we can call France a morally developed country and China (for example) a morally (or legally) undeveloped country.

However, I must stress that when I mean morally undeveloped, I do not mean immoral.

Obviously, economics and morality/legal system are not the same thing, but perhaps this is an issue which we can discuss.

When considering the economy, we don't say "Well you cannot call Iran a economically undeveloped state because they do things different there". We hold the entire world to a Western (capitalist) built standards, so why not hold the entire world accountable to one human rights based morality standard?
Because economics can be (relatively) easily quantified.
Exactly... that's a really really false analogy.
Reply 58
TommehR
Because economics can be (relatively) easily quantified.

Well if we weren't so politically correct, the legal systems/laws/morals of different jurisdictions can be quantified as well.

I just don't understand how we could justify our laws if we don't see it as 'better' than the laws of other jurisdictions such as Iran and China.

Let's consider the recently passed anti-discrimination laws concerning homosexuals. I would have thought that the majority of the British population are in favour of the legislation, but without a doubt, there is a significant minority of bigots who are against recognizing homosexuals equally. Your argument about 'forcing'/pressuring other jurisdictions to follow our laws, and how I, and other 'narrow-minded' Westerners are upholding cultural imperialism, is severely undermined when you observe the imposing of laws in a domestic scene.

If you're arguing from a liberal position, against imposing ones views/morals on another, then it is equally wrong, if it not worse, to impose our views on others at a domestic level than to uphold our legal system and law in the West as (generally) superior to a jurisdiction such as Iran.
Again you fail by the following point: within a culture, the majority should prevail. At the intergovernmental level, however, you can't argue that... it just runs into serious sovereignty problems. Also, within the UK there is sufficient "homogenity" of views on most things, and I think if you asked most people they would say that discrimination should be encouraged regardless. You could hardly say that the UK was homogenous with, for example, Vietnam...

Latest

Trending

Trending