The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Chemical Engineering at HW

Hey, I am really confused and would like some help from maybe someone who studies at HW?

I've been considering chem eng and have been looking at the different unis and am a bit stuck.

How does HW's course compare to unis like Strathclyde, Aberdeen and Edinburgh Uni? Is it similar in structure and do employers, mainly in oil and gas sector prefer degrees from other universities or do they like HW graduates?

Its just because I have noticed the entrance requirements are much less than other schools, AABB (no subjects specified) compared to AAAAB with physics and Chem at A/B and maths at A at Strathclyde. Does this mean HW's course isn't as good? How does it compare to the other unis, I hate Edinburgh uni's campus as I feel its all over the place and would much rather study at HW as it is a campus uni.

Also how maths bases it the course? I didn't take AH maths this year, would I struggle?
Reply 1
Not sure where you're getting your information from but I'm pretty sure you need chemistry and maths at higher plus they would prefer you to have physics too but not mandatory. From what I've heard from my friends that do chem eng, the general feeling is that it's hard but they keep getting constantly reminded of how great the employment prospects are for it. I've also heard it stated quite a bit that on certain job applications for jobs in oil and gas, there's a field asking what uni you went to with the choices being Oxford, Cambridge, imperial, heriot watt or other. I'd take that with a pinch of salt but it's no secret that heriot watt chem eng graduates are thought of highly in oil and gas.

Your maths content in 1st year should be manageable enough as it will just be the advanced higher course with less proofs and series but more differential equations and algebra-based topics. The tough bits of 1st year are supposed to be the process engineering and the chemistry.
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Original post by qno2
Not sure where you're getting your information from but I'm pretty sure you need chemistry and maths at higher plus they would prefer you to have physics too but not mandatory. From what I've heard from my friends that do chem eng, the general feeling is that it's hard but they keep getting constantly reminded of how great the employment prospects are for it. I've also heard it stated quite a bit that on certain job applications for jobs in oil and gas, there's a field asking what uni you went to with the choices being Oxford, Cambridge, imperial, heriot watt or other. I'd take that with a pinch of salt but it's no secret that heriot watt chem eng graduates are thought of highly in oil and gas.

Your maths content in 1st year should be manageable enough as it will just be the advanced higher course with less proofs and series but more differential equations and algebra-based topics. The tough bits of 1st year are supposed to be the process engineering and the chemistry.

Information wise, I just meant I couldn't find anywhere on HW's entry requirements about what specific subjects to take, but obviously I wouldn't be considering it with out chemistry and maths, also i'm taking higher physics in S6.

Thanks a bunch for your reply, looks like I probably shouldn't opt for the level 2 entry if I get a BB in AH's as I would miss all the maths in 1st year.

Also. yeah I heard about that checklist thing for oil and gas sector, seems impressive but could be rumors.

Quick Reply

Latest