The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
andyboy
It goes round corners like nothing else.

You have evidently never driven anything rear wheel drive..... :wink:
Reply 41
Tednol
How's this for a first car? I've got a 2.3 litre, turbo-charged, super-chipped Volvo estate. I can take about 8 people around, if I use the boot. It goes like a rocket. It's comfortable, with AC and a CD player and leather seats.

But best of all, £240 per year insurance... Apparently boy racers don't drive Volvo's, therefore low premiums.

Now last time I checked, how many boy racers drive your car wasn't the only thing insurers looked at when charging you....!

Based on the fact that a Volvo S60 T5 2.3 Turbo is group 16 without modifications..... I'd like to meet the insurer that's giving you £240 quotes?

Methinks you're wrong. Also, 7 seconds 0-60 isn't like a rocket.
Reply 42
Chicken
I can drive but I don't have a car - I can't afford one even with my job, and I don't have parents who will just buy one for me. However I get to use my mum's fiesta, which is nice cos its a newish one and is comfortable, but I don't have to pay for insurance or tax or petrol on it. I had expected to contribute some money for the use, but they said since I don't get to use it all the time (as she works during the day) it wasn't fair for me to pay. I think that I am really lucky to be in that position. And if was my car, what help would a TV screen be - i'm the driver so I couldn't watch it without me baing a danger to other road users!!!

same as me :smile: i could drive mother's fiasko äähhm fiesta too :smile: not the best, but the cheapest variant for me... for school i use my scooter or, if its intact, my motorbike :cool:
Reply 43
At the moment I am 18. I bought a motorbike brand new at 17, a 125cc motorbike that looks GREAT!!! I did my test and now have a full motorcycle licence. Problem is its winter, it was great in summer but its getting cold now. Just recently I bought a car, despite having not done any lessons or completed the theory test.

I bought a peugoet 106 XL diesel, P reg, 1.5litre. I dont know much about cars, but my dad does, and he told me it was a steal. It had low mileage for its age, and there wasn't a hint of rust. Due to it being a DIESEL engine, it means that the car will go further with less fuel. Insurance + tax + MOT come in total to about 300 pounds. The car cost me 2000. But its worth it.

Best piece of advice, is when you ring up for your insurance play each company against each other.

By the way, its cheaper if you are the second named driver of the vehicle on the insurance. If you have your parent as the main driver their no claims bonus will be used. I plan to get insured with my dad, its about 800 pounds, and I am only 18. I STRONGLY advise you dont be the main policy holder, as the premium would be about 2000 pounds!!!

Thats me done!
My parents have 2 Nissan Micras, an X reg and a V reg. They don't use the 5-door X reg much so once I pass my driving tests (haven't even sent off my provisional form yet!), that car will probably be mine. Not powerful but it's great enough for me!
Reply 45
Bhaal85
I STRONGLY advise you dont be the main policy holder, as the premium would be about 2000 pounds!!!

Thats me done!

Hi, did you read my last post?

If you're the MAIN DRIVER, but declare yourself on insurance as the SECOND DRIVER, and then crash the car when you're away at uni or something where *you* live, then your insurers probably won't pay. You can't lie for car insurance or they won't be there when you need them! If you're the main driver, say so, take the hit. You build up NCB, which you will want when you're in your early twenties and trying to buy a nice car with NO insurance history!

Cheap now or cheap later? Cheap now and no use, or useful when you need them?

Don't piss around. Write the car off, kill a couple of people, and you'll want your insurers to help. You won't want them stalling and beginning an investigation because they reckon you're not actually a second driver, more the main one.

Happened to a good mate recently; accident, insured in dad's name with him named, ooops no payout....
Reply 46
jediknight007
Not powerful but it's great enough for me!

Goodness, you're all crazy; I started off with 75bhp and you probably don't want a lot more for your first car! You're not all Michael Schumacher, you know :smile:
Reply 47
Wzz
Hi, did you read my last post?

If you're the MAIN DRIVER, but declare yourself on insurance as the SECOND DRIVER, and then crash the car when you're away at uni or something where *you* live, then your insurers probably won't pay. You can't lie for car insurance or they won't be there when you need them! If you're the main driver, say so, take the hit. You build up NCB, which you will want when you're in your early twenties and trying to buy a nice car with NO insurance history!

Cheap now or cheap later? Cheap now and no use, or useful when you need them?

Don't piss around. Write the car off, kill a couple of people, and you'll want your insurers to help. You won't want them stalling and beginning an investigation because they reckon you're not actually a second driver, more the main one.

Happened to a good mate recently; accident, insured in dad's name with him named, ooops no payout....

Thats why I got my dad to be the registered keepr :wink: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 48
Bhaal85
Thats why I got my dad to be the registered keepr :wink: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Oh dear... that doesn't matter. Don't think you've come up with some excellent scam the insurers haven't heard of; crash that car as the main driver and you're facing a fight to get the cash :wink:
Reply 49
I won't buy a car initially, I'll rollerskate to work! (All that's left is for me to learn to rollerskate... at least it's a damn sight cheaper than learning to drive...)
But as soon as I have saved enough I will treat myself to a TVR Tuscan, god that car is buff! Then I will mod it up, but not do anything to the bodywork.
Wzz
Oh dear... that doesn't matter. Don't think you've come up with some excellent scam the insurers haven't heard of; crash that car as the main driver and you're facing a fight to get the cash :wink:

How is that a scam? In the eyes of the law, its perfectly legal, as long as the vehicle is MOT'D, TAXED and insured, I'm OK. God!
Reply 51
Mod it up? You can't mod a TVR! That's a bit of a pet hate of mine. They're pretty much as good as you're likely to get them. There's no compromise in exhaust, induction or engine; the suspension, if you buy the sports kit, is pretty much as close to a racer as you want on a road; and it's fast enough to lose you your license fairly rapid.

What's left out? What would you mod? What element of fast road work do modifiers know better than TVR?

Leave well alone; there's not a big TVR "modding" scene for a good reason; it's not a bloody Vauxhall Nova...!
Reply 52
Unregistered
How is that a scam? In the eyes of the law, its perfectly legal, as long as the vehicle is MOT'D, TAXED and insured, I'm OK. God!

Are you the main user of the car, with the insurance in someone else's name?
Reply 53
Wzz
Mod it up? You can't mod a TVR! That's a bit of a pet hate of mine. They're pretty much as good as you're likely to get them. There's no compromise in exhaust, induction or engine; the suspension, if you buy the sports kit, is pretty much as close to a racer as you want on a road; and it's fast enough to lose you your license fairly rapid.

What's left out? What would you mod? What element of fast road work do modifiers know better than TVR?

Leave well alone; there's not a big TVR "modding" scene for a good reason; it's not a bloody Vauxhall Nova...!

You dont work for the DVLA, do you?
Reply 54
Wzz
Are you the main user of the car, with the insurance in someone else's name?

DAMN RIGHT!!! In my dads name, but I am the second driver.
Reply 55
Wzz

I don't mean those stupid 'Max Power' mods. I mean ICE! (That's 'In Car Entertainment') PS2, speakers, quality music system, TV maybe...
Reply 56
How much did you all spend in getting your licence? (icluding test costs, lessons et al.)
Reply 57
Bhaal85
DAMN RIGHT!!! In my dads name, but I am the second driver.

Not legal! The policy holder should be the main user. Otherwise, you should give the insurers a call and point out that you're the main user. I did this one year when at uni, and it cost a little more, but kept me legal. And more importantly meant that if I needed to claim, it would have gone through.

Hope you don't hit my car if you're not insured properly :wink:
Reply 58
elpaw
How much did you all spend in getting your licence? (icluding test costs, lessons et al.)

Doesn't 'et al' relate to people? And what is the literal translation anyway?
Reply 59
ZJuwelH
I don't mean those stupid 'Max Power' mods. I mean ICE! (That's 'In Car Entertainment') PS2, speakers, quality music system, TV maybe...

If you rip apart quite possiblythe most beautiful car interior ever I will personally come and smack you in the head :smile:

Where is the TV going?? TVRs are for driving, not posing in trying to play a PS2.... :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending