The Student Room Group

Have any other students been approved for car finance?

No judgement about financing a car please! I will be doing a uni course with lots of placements and then after will be doing an NHS community job that will need me to travel all around the North West, so I will be doing high mileage. Therefore I need something reliable and ideally want to finance a 2/3 year old Toyota over 5 years and hopefully then just keep it for the rest of it's lifetime. I know Toyota's are very reliable so thinking 15ish years. My issue is that as a student I only work 20 hours a week and my income is £800 monthly on paper so I'm struggling to get approved, I'm only doing soft credit checks so far though but they've all said no!

Have any students with part-time jobs managed to be approved? I have some credit history, a card that gets paid off in full each month and a high-spec laptop (needed for my hobby and side hustle) that I pay off as £150 per month. I will be paying that off in full soon and then intending to get a £150 per month car finance agreement. I have a few hundred spare each month for upkeep costs too. Just wondering if any fellow students on part-time incomes have had any luck with finance?
Original post by jessicamae02
No judgement about financing a car please! I will be doing a uni course with lots of placements and then after will be doing an NHS community job that will need me to travel all around the North West, so I will be doing high mileage. Therefore I need something reliable and ideally want to finance a 2/3 year old Toyota over 5 years and hopefully then just keep it for the rest of it's lifetime. I know Toyota's are very reliable so thinking 15ish years. My issue is that as a student I only work 20 hours a week and my income is £800 monthly on paper so I'm struggling to get approved, I'm only doing soft credit checks so far though but they've all said no!

Have any students with part-time jobs managed to be approved? I have some credit history, a card that gets paid off in full each month and a high-spec laptop (needed for my hobby and side hustle) that I pay off as £150 per month. I will be paying that off in full soon and then intending to get a £150 per month car finance agreement. I have a few hundred spare each month for upkeep costs too. Just wondering if any fellow students on part-time incomes have had any luck with finance?

As a student, you will struggle to get anyone to give you car finance, as you have found out so far.
Are you able to just buy a used car for the time being? Then get something newer/on finance when you have more in the way of income/savings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending