The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Skylark
They are therefore forced into an extremely selective policy, in which they look very closely indeed at GCSE grades as well as A levels, personal statements and references.

GCSEs it was then!

Errrrm, so by stating that they look at all of those factors, you're then claiming that "Oh my god I got in because of GCSEs!!!!" (to which the person who posted after you claimed that you could forget about life after GCSEs)....right. Read what you posted....they look at numerous things...who's to say that they let you in based on your personal statement, and it just happens that in general people with excellent personal statemens also have excellent GCSE grades....you can't then just put it down to GCSEs!!

Obviously they'll look at GCSEs, but as you said yourself, that's not all they look at! :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
I still think they look at GCSEs over AS levels to be honest. My GCSEs were really good, but my ASs were crap and I got in. I got a B in History and applied for English and History. I doubt my singing or volunteering got me into Durham! I just think it's luck, and for certain subjects there are a certain number of A*s required. Ahhh well. I'm just very grateful they made me an offer! x
Then again, i applied for Combined Arts post A-level with 3 A's, a distinction in English AEA, and 8A*s 2 As at GCSE; and was rejected. So really it must have been that my personal statement wasn't upto standard. So they must take it at least into consideration :-)

xx
Reply 23
My GCSEs weren't amazing, but my personal statement was like a party on a page, with everyone invited.
Reply 24
LMAO! Sounds a great personal statement. Mine was more of a low key do with a select group of individuals. Haha. x
i thought i had planned a rave, but no one turned up... :tongue: hehe xx
Reply 26
Mine was a trekathon :smile:
Reply 27
Apparently GCSEs are a much more reliable indicator of how someone will do at uni than AS or A levels. True, doing well at, say, IT is not the best indicator of how someone will do at university for, say, Maths. But then, if you extend that to A levels, you could say that anyone who got an A in the subject they want to study should be considered, regardless of other grades. Which makes it even harder for admissions people. I agree that the admissions process is [probably] largely a lottery, but I'm afraid there's not really anything anyone can do about that until they change the exam system or make AEAs a proper factor in acceptances/rejections. I'm sorry to hear about your rejection but, honestly, you will love anywhere you go and one day you probably won't be able to imagine yourself anywhere else.
Reply 28
My personal statement was an orgy on a page. With multiple orgasms. Apparently Cambridge couldn't hack it.
Jelkin
My personal statement was an orgy on a page. With multiple orgasms. Apparently Cambridge couldn't hack it.

They're a bit prudish down there.
Jelkin

If I received a personal statement soaked in the fluids oozed out by a female during sexual activity then I wouldn’t be too impressed either.

Jelkin, what was your accessory of choice? Or is that too much?
Reply 31
Agbonlaheto
If I received a personal statement soaked in the fluids oozed out by a female during sexual activity then I wouldn’t be too impressed either.

Jelkin, what was your accessory of choice? Or is that too much?

:rolleyes: hmm...bit of a conversation killer there...
Reply 32
Indeed... But back to topic... YAY for GCSEs being a good indicator - I'm great, not rubbish like my ASs predict. I have 3 whole rejections now anyway... but at least I have an offer from Durham *phew + yay*. x
Reply 33
I didn't say I orgasmed OVER my personal statement, just that it was an orgy on a page. Sort out your metaphors...
Reply 34
durhamdosser
They're a bit prudish down there.

I wanted to rep you for this but I wasn't allowed.

Latest