The Student Room Group

Do I start preparing now? If so, how?

I'm starting sixth form college in September...as you can maybe gather.
I've heard a few people on here say that it's a good idea to start preparing for AS Levels in my summer break. Is that true? If all goes to plan, I'm taking English, art, religious studies and French if that helps you answer, with the intention of doing something journalism based at uni.

I'm just wondering is there any reading I should do now? Or any other kind of preparation? I really want to excel in A Levels so I don't mind putting the work in now.
Original post by Cari98
I've heard a few people on here say that it's a good idea to start preparing for AS Levels in my summer break. Is that true? If all goes to plan, I'm taking English, art, religious studies and French if that helps you answer, with the intention of doing something journalism based at uni.

I'm just wondering is there any reading I should do now? Or any other kind of preparation? I really want to excel in A Levels so I don't mind putting the work in now.

It can be a good idea to go over notes and keep the content fresh, but don't worry about this too much. At the start of A levels, most teachers will go over/summarise what you did at GCSE and there will be an introductory period for the subject.

So yeah, go over notes if you wish, but maybe use the time over summer more productively (such as gaining any work experience that may benefit you) :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BurstingBubbles
It can be a good idea to go over notes and keep the content fresh, but don't worry about this too much. At the start of A levels, most teachers will go over/summarise what you did at GCSE and there will be an introductory period for the subject.

So yeah, go over notes if you wish, but maybe use the time over summer more productively (such as gaining any work experience that may benefit you) :smile:

Okay, cool...thanks! I don't really know what to expect if I'm honest:s-smilie::biggrin:
Original post by Cari98
Okay, cool...thanks! I don't really know what to expect if I'm honest:s-smilie::biggrin:

Each subject can be different. Some subjects are a huge step up and some aren't - so doing work over summer is good, but it won't ever fully prepare you :tongue: Teachers know this, and they should be used to helping the transition to A level :smile:
Reply 4
Maybe try to ensure you're basic French stays upto speed, maybe your grammar and stuff. The others I don't think anyone else will be doing anything, so unless you've been given work to do already (e.g. reading for English maybe?) then don't worry about it.
Reply 5
Original post by Cari98

If you have spare time in summer dont waste it. Practice as much french as you can. Find out which exam board you will be with and read the specs and examiners reports, print off all past papers and mark schemes and get organised. Have a look on the exam board specs if there are any additional reading books you can start on. Check out amazon and order them 2nd hand if you cant get them in libary. Try and do some voluntary work or get a summer job as that is always handy for cv and ready for your personal statement. When you are in coll get spare files for each subject and when you finish each subject topic, concise the notes down and add any relevant info into the new revision file. Also add each past paper and mark scheme in and fill it in as much as you can after each topic. It will make it quicker and easier to revise from that. Making flashcards too always help. Just be organised as its a time saver.
Reply 6
Original post by mjrd
If you have spare time in summer dont waste it. Practice as much french as you can. Find out which exam board you will be with and read the specs and examiners reports, print off all past papers and mark schemes and get organised. Have a look on the exam board specs if there are any additional reading books you can start on. Check out amazon and order them 2nd hand if you cant get them in libary. Try and do some voluntary work or get a summer job as that is always handy for cv and ready for your personal statement. When you are in coll get spare files for each subject and when you finish each subject topic, concise the notes down and add any relevant info into the new revision file. Also add each past paper and mark scheme in and fill it in as much as you can after each topic. It will make it quicker and easier to revise from that. Making flashcards too always help. Just be organised as its a time saver.

Wow! I think you've basically passed my A Levels for me!:biggrin: Thanks for taking your time to write all that, I'll definitely try and do some of this!
Reply 7
Maybe keep the French fresh and go over some notes like every two weeks but I wouldn't actually worry. Have some fun while you can! AS aren't as bad as everyone's making them out to be, just chill until September
Reply 8
Original post by Cari98
Wow! I think you've basically passed my A Levels for me!:biggrin: Thanks for taking your time to write all that, I'll definitely try and do some of this!

I have just done my AS and wish i had known this stuf sooner lol. I have started on my A level work now, im being a lot more organised quicker this yr. Past papers are the key to top grades and concised notes and flash cards makes studying so much simpler. The first few wks in my coll i thought i was going to burn out within 1st month. The intensity of work and homework was unreal. They slammed us. By half term it had calmed down tons. This year we have been warned we are getting slammed with field trips mostly all by half term and reports so im doing all the extra reading now to save time. Also it looks good on personal statement to have read outside of the course books as it shows genuine interest of the subject. Also good to find out if any of your lecturers have written any books or articles, extra browny points then. My religion tutor has written the wjec A2 text book so i defo have to read that lol.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest