The Student Room Group

Why do most people of African/Carribean desecent appear to only listen to rap/hip-ho?

Can someone explain to me why they seem to only listen to it? Why don't they listen to other types of music? (I ONLY listen to video game music)
Wy do most people from the Carribea lsiten to reaggee music as well?

Most of my sister's music have swear words or the n-word in it...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
because they grew up with that music and i'm sure a lot of them don't only listen to rap, reggae etc

wat kind of video game music :^) some sonic heroes ost ??? classic
Original post by MylittlePlusle
Can someone explain to me why they seem to only listen to it? Why don't they listen to other types of music? (I ONLY listen to video game music)

you listen to the raw video game music? not remixes or anything?
Original post by K.C
because they grew up with that music and i'm sure a lot of them don't only listen to rap, reggae etc

Sonic Heores, yes. I love Ocean palace's theme! The music I listen to mostly comes from the years of 1985-1999,
Original post by Raven of the Sun
you listen to the raw video game music? not remixes or anything?

I listen to mostly raw VGM, I've only got two remixes on my 3DS/PSP.
Because of their legacy. They should be forced to listen to nothing else but Classical music for birth. :s-smilie:
Because they grew up with it and identify with that genre. I don't think they only listen to that though...
what is your obsession with swear words?
It tends to be people who don't have black friends or have barely any that make this assumption.
Reply 8
They can probably identify with the lyrics as the artists grew up in a similar environment. Although I'm African, afrobeats don't really appeal to me so I'm more open-minded in terms of music. There is some good hip-hop out there though OP, and I'm sure you may like it if you gave more genres a chance.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
It tends to be people who don't have black friends or have barely any that make this assumption.

Well...

I am of African/Caribbean descent and this type of music is played at home st about everyday.

Only one of my 12 friends has brown skin, I don't know what type of music she likes though.
Original post by Ndella
They can probably identify with the lyrics as the artists grew up in a similar environment. Although I'm African, afrobeats don't really appeal to me so I'm more open-minded in terms of music. There is some good hip-hop out there though OP, and I'm sure you may like it if you gave more genres a chance.

There are hundred of thousands of games that I could play to therefore there are countless pieces of music that I can listen to s there isn't any need for me to listen to any other type of music.

It also find the music that my family listens too annoying. I also hate the slang terms that they use.
Reply 11
I'm black and rap music is definitely NOT the only genre I listen to. I pretty much listen to everything lol

Some of my friends don't really like rap music but only listen to it because if they listen to a genre like indie they get comments like "you're trying to be white" or "you're such an Oreo". It's so dumb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
there is this like whole culture thing about "rappers" like Ice Cube, 50 pence etc
Reply 13
There are hundred of thousands of games that I could play to therefore there are countless pieces of music that I can listen to s there isn't any need for me to listen to any other type of music.

It also find the music that my family listens too annoying. I also hate the slang terms that they use.

Fair enough.

Understandable, but everyone has their preferences so you have to deal with it, just like how you don't want to listen to other things.
I don't - I'm Nigerian/Chinese.

The lyrics argument doesn't apply to my life because I lived a very comfortable one, jetting around the world, international private schools etc.

I listen to: Nu Metal, Alt-rock, pop punk, post-hardcorr, contemporary piano, French music, Japanese Rock and some electronic stuff.

Then again, the statement in the title of this thread is false anyway - people have differing interests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most rap music purchases are made by whites.

White people have made the thug image marketable and created a financial incentive for black artists to play to that image.

If white people were interested in buying CDs or downloading music by rap artists who sang about, racism, radical social transformation and community uplift And yes there are many, many such artists out there Then that’s the music that would be churned out in larger numbers.

But white consumers aren’t, by and large, looking to buy songs about overthrowing the system from which you benefit.

White boys would rather listen to songs about guns and drugs, and being a thug. It's white buyers who make that kind of rap profitable, but instead of asking for any responsibility from them, you blame the artists for doing what they’re supposed to do in a capitalist system, which is respond to market demand, no matter what the social consequences.
Original post by K.C

No, I'm pretty sure the OP is right here. I mean surely there's some kind of event where it's celebrated, like the African/Caribbean equivalent of a bar mitzvah? A rite of passage, if you will, when everyone signs their "how to be black" contract before living out the rest of their days.
Reply 17
i know a few who also watch anime and listen to k pop/rock OP
I don't like how OP is implying that "Rap/Hip Hop" is the only music blacks invented but I don't you know the history of "Black Music" Black people also invented these following music genres......

Negro spirituals,
blues,
ragtime,
jazz,
boogie woogie,
rhythm and blues,
doo-wop,
rock & roll,
soul,
funk,
, hip hop,
house, and
techno
gospel

No con-tray to popular belief White British men DID NOT invent rock n roll.
I'm African and can confirm that I (used to) only listen to gangsta rap.

Quick Reply

Latest