The Student Room Group

Union membership for a trainee

Hey guys,

I'm starting my PGCE this September and i was wondering what to do about a union membership. Am i correct in thinking you can join as many as you like (NUT, NASUWT etc.) for your trainee year before you qualify? As i'm not sure which i agree with yet or how helpful etc. they are.

thanks!
Original post by whatslew
Hey guys,

I'm starting my PGCE this September and i was wondering what to do about a union membership. Am i correct in thinking you can join as many as you like (NUT, NASUWT etc.) for your trainee year before you qualify? As i'm not sure which i agree with yet or how helpful etc. they are.

thanks!

Yes, quite common practice. You really must join a union so that you are legally protected. You really never know when you might need their help.
Reply 2
I'm not sure why you would join more than one, as you have to pay a monthly fee for membership. I'm currently a member of a union as a TA but I'm not sure how it works for students.
Original post by odinsky
I'm not sure why you would join more than one, as you have to pay a monthly fee for membership. I'm currently a member of a union as a TA but I'm not sure how it works for students.

They get free membership whilst training, so they can join them all and choose which one suits them best at the end of the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending