The Student Room Group

UK Teaching Union Membership

Hi, wondered if anyone can help.
I signed up to NASUWT and NEU when I was on a PGCE 4 years ago. Since then, I’ve never sent bank details to continue to pay for membership. Over this time I didn’t use the services of a union but they were still periodically sending me the mailers and requests to pay for full membership. I assumed by not paying, this was the equivalent to not ‘signing up’ for continued member status but now I’m unsure because I didn’t officially ‘terminate’ membership after my teacher training year. My question is… do I owe money for membership fees? I don’t want to contact them directly in case they ask me for money and can’t find any info in their T&C’s.

Any help much appreciated!
Reply 1
You're on a mailing list, not a member.

I'd strongly advise joining one btw.
Original post by TeamTeach
I signed up to NASUWT and NEU when I was on a PGCE 4 years ago. Since then, I’ve never sent bank details to continue to pay for membership. Over this time I didn’t use the services of a union but they were still periodically sending me the mailers and requests to pay for full membership. I assumed by not paying, this was the equivalent to not ‘signing up’ for continued member status but now I’m unsure because I didn’t officially ‘terminate’ membership after my teacher training year. My question is… do I owe money for membership fees? I don’t want to contact them directly in case they ask me for money and can’t find any info in their T&C’s.

Hi @TeamTeach,

During my training year, NASUWT gave me full membership, free of charge. I seem to remember being faced with a similar scenario after I qualified but they were very good with me. If memory serves, I didn't have to pay them for being in arrears or anything like that (if indeed you actually have a membership with them). In addition, I had a period of time where I was not teaching but still paying for my membership, and they were very kind to refund me in full.

As you have already been advised, I would encourage you to get a full membership with a union, and please do not allow the worry of potential arrears stop you. You never know when you might need them!

Best wishes,
Tom
Original post by TeamTeach

I haven't provided my payment details. I had the membership free for 1 year for my training year but terminated I recently because I wasn't teaching for a while. Am I still required to pay because I just signed up? Im starting a job in September and Im thinking of joining a union.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending