The Student Room Group

society

How do you join a society ?
Reply 1
The university I go to requires you to join a society using the student union hub. on there you can search for societies and then you press a button to join - or some cases pay for membership at that uni. I am not sure if it's the same for all university, but try and look at your university's student union.
Original post by ClemmieSilk

There will probably be a Freshers Fair or similar during the first week of uni where all the societies are in one place so you can ask them what they do and then sign up.

Hi there @ClemmieSilk

Normally you will be able to see all the societies during the Fresher's fair. There you can find out what the society does and how to sign up to their society.
Depending on the University you go to, you may be able to join or purchase membership for a society on your University's student union website.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi @ClemmieSilk,

The above have already addressed how to join a society but I thought I would let you know that if there isn't a society that interests you then you can create your own instead I think you usually need around four or so people to make one this may be different depending on your university.

I would recommend looking at the universities Student Union page as this usually details the societies available and then you can prioritise going to those and signing up when at the freshers fair.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Hey there @ClemmieSilk, :smile:

Great to hear that you are looking to join a society!

Like others have mentioned when you start university there will usually be a Freshers Fair in the first week so keep an eye on which day this will be for your university.

At the Freshers Fair you will be given the opportunity to chat to different societies and sign up to those you are interested in. The Student Union will be the best contact if you have any questions about the societies or if you have thought about setting up your own one.

Societies are a brilliant way for you to meet like-minded people, make friends, and get involved in social activities outside of your course. 😊

I hope this helps and best wishes,
Sarah
(edited 7 months ago)

Hey there @ClemmieSilk !

Your university may host a sports and societies fair during welcome week that you can book onto and attend. There you can meet the societies and put yourself on the list to join. They usually have a Facebook group that they'll add you into which lets you know of any practises or meetings you may want to attend. Some sports societies will have trials to take part in in order to get on the team but they'll give you the details of this.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending