The Student Room Group

Is the Sutton 13 more similar to the Ivy League than the Russell Group?

My universities guidance counselor told me to look at the 'Sutton Trust 13' so that I can narrow down my choices for when I apply for universities. Is the Sutton 13 seen as the UK's equivalent of the Ivy League? My counselor said that there are too many members in the RG so not all of them are seen as good as the top ones in the RG whereas the Sutton 13 narrows it down to the best.

For reference, the Sutton 13 is:
Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, Imperial, LSE, Nottingham, Oxford, St Andrews, UCL, Warwick & York.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Trust#Sutton_Trust_13

(tbh I don't know why Birmingham and Nottingham are in it... I would replace them with King's and Bath)

I am currently waiting on my AS results and have started researching universities - not sure what course I want to do yet.
Never heard of the 'Sutton Trust 13', but the Ivy League is globally known. That's a major difference.

You may also want to note that the Ivy League is a league for sports, determined geographically. It has nothing to do with prestige, teaching, or research.
The original sutton 13 was drawn up in 2000 and is old information, it was never intended to be used as a hit-list for applicants.

for a more recent imagining of what it might look like today see here http://siemslegal.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/university-league-tables-many-hate-them.html

The sutton Trust itself hasn't gone on much about the 13 recently and seems to prefer talking about the 'sutton 30' these days.
Reply 3
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Never heard of the 'Sutton Trust 13', but the Ivy League is globally known. That's a major difference.

You may also want to note that the Ivy League is a league for sports, determined geographically. It has nothing to do with prestige, teaching, or research.

But everyone associates it with prestige... regardless of what it was originally, the connotations associated with it nowadays is of prestige and academic excellency.
Its probably closer but who cares seriously. Just go to the best uni you can, do the best you can do and that is all you can do. Instead of talking just take action.
Original post by Hogan_Novel
But everyone associates it with prestige... regardless of what it was originally, the connotations associated with it nowadays is of prestige and academic excellency.

And most everyone have no idea what Sutton 13 is, so how would that be similar?

Also, considering the fact that American universities are generally much, much superior, I'd say only Oxbridge or the Golden Triangle would rival the Ivy League.
Reply 6
Original post by Little Toy Gun
And most everyone have no idea what Sutton 13 is, so how would that be similar?

Also, considering the fact that American universities are generally much, much superior, I'd say only Oxbridge or the Golden Triangle would rival the Ivy League.

Similar in terms of academic standards... I doubt you've heard of the C9 - but that's China's version of the Ivy League.

I don't know why you're aiming this hostility towards me... I'm just repeating what my university adviser told me.
Original post by Hogan_Novel
Similar in terms of academic standards... I doubt you've heard of the C9 - but that's China's version of the Ivy League.

I don't know why you're aiming this hostility towards me... I'm just repeating what my university adviser told me.

I have heard of C9 and the Sutton 13, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world knows it. It's not similar in terms of academic standards. Academically the Ivy League is superior to either just for HYP. Ask any mainland Chinese person and I'm pretty sure they'd prefer the Ivy League over any of the C9s any day.
The important thing to note about the Ivy League is that is a grouping determined by geography as well as academics. If it were solely based on academics then places like Stanford would definitely be in it. Also, MIT which is far superior to place like Cornell, Columbia and UPenn isn't part of the Ivy League either, so I certainly think it's time to stop fetishising over the IL. Yes, they are great colleges, but if I had to pick a university in the US, I'd go for MIT which is brilliant for the field I'm interested in (linguistics)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending