The Student Room Group

For your PS, would you count TV and film as a hobby?

I'm not quite at the point of writing my PS yet, I still don't know what I want to do after sixth form. Currently I'm in my soul searching stage (as I have been for the last three years or so) and looking at what 'floats my boat' so to speak. Between school and a part time job I don't have much time for hobbies (which is an awful excuse, I know) but if I had to pick the one thing I woukd spend my day off doing, the thing that I get so absorbed in I forget to eat and sleep, it would be TV amd film. I've been thinking about why (besides how nice it is to just lie in bed all day) and it's because I don't know what I want to do with my life- like, no clue- so it provides escapism (the whole point, I know) and I can empasthise and connect with characters who have something in their lives they are passionate about, it allows me to explore (i get so absorbed it does sometimes feel like I am emotionally experiencing it) emotions other than feeling lost and 'meh' and most importantly, it allows me to be anything I want to be. In real life, Im having to make life choices that I'll be following for years, but in TV and film(and books for that matter), I can be a dragon fighting wizard, a lawyer having a scandalous affair, a doctor, a detective or just an ordinary person going about life with no direction (which for some reason, I can really relate to!). Ive been told by school that unis aren't interested in things like that (then again I've been told many things by my school which are complete bull) but there is method in my madness. Is that the sort of thing I should be considering when looking for a future career or do I need to pull myself together and join the real world?
(edited 8 years ago)
The Oxford English Dictionary defines a hobby as: "an activity done regularly in one’s leisure time for pleasure." Watching TV/going to the movies is hard to call an activity, as you're not really
doing anything except from sitting there and watching a screen - there is nothing active about it. So it can't really be classed as a hobby.

If, however, you actually do something as well (for example, writing analyses of the film as you would do in an English or Media Studies lesson, or reciting parts of the film using drama, etc), then you could class it as a hobby, as long as You do these things regularly.
Unless it's related to your course choice (unlikely) then don't mention it - 99.9% of applicants could list TV and film as a hobby
Reply 3
I wouldn't bother with it unless you are doing something related to film at university since it's not really something that shows great skills unless you are analysing the movies and stuff for a blog or something. Also I believe you can write down any paid part time jobs you do on UCAS and the universities will see that you do them, and will give you a bit more leeway regarding extra curricular stuff since they know that school + a job doesn't leave much time for other stuff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending