The Student Room Group
Originally posted by Nix
Hi! Could you guys please tell me when do you have to apply to get student visas if i want to come and study in the Uk when the university starts, i.e. do i have to apply before my a-level results are released or after the results are released. Thank you.

Nix, congratulations on being accepted in to a UK University... where are you heading to ?

First of all, you ARE a "Visa National", ie you require a visa, to enter the UK - this you know already.

From Sheffield University's International Office

1. BRITAIN HAS STRICT IMMIGRATION REGULATIONS, as do most other countries. Once a student has formally accepted a place at this University and has the funds (or proof of funds) to support her or himself in this country, s/he is usually able to obtain entry clearance without much difficulty.

5.OBTAINING PRIOR ENTRY CLEARANCE / LEAVE TO ENTER ABROAD
(Before Departure to the UK)

"Visa Nationals should contact the Entry Clearance Officer at the British Embassy or High Commission at least one month, but not more than six months, before travelling to Britain and apply for a visa (entry clearance). There is a charge for the visa. Application forms and information are free in all British Embassies, Consuls and High Commissions. "

Alternatively you can wait until you arrive at the Port of Entry in the UK:

1. You will examined by an Immigration Officer at the port of entry before being granted Leave to Enter. Leave to Enter is permission to stay in the UK.

2. The date of your Leave to Enter will be stamped in your passport by the Immigration Officer at the port of entry. You have permission to stay in the UK until that date (if you remain a student).

3.Students on courses of 9-12 months starting in September / October:
Leave to Remain should be given until 31 October IF all documentation required is shown at the airport/port.

4. Students on courses other than in 3 (above):
Leave to Remain should be given until a date 2 months after end of course / programme.

5. Arrivals via Dublin:
Dublin Immigration Officers check papers on departure so Immigration Officer may not be available at the UK airport. Ask to see an Immigration Officer at your arrival airport in UK to avoid having to apply for Leave to Remain after arrival in Sheffield.

For the sake of your records Nix your local British Embassy is at:

British High Commision
Upper Hill Road
Nairobi
PO Box 30465

Telephone: (254) (2) 2714699

Facsimile: Visas: (254) (2) 2719110

Office Hours: Mon-Thurs: 0700-1700
Fri: 0700-1300

Good Luck
Reply 2
Very impressive answer Expression :smile:.
Reply 3
ill second that! expression, ure finished avatar address is in ure inbox
Reply 4
Nix
OP
Thanks alot for that reply. Could you please tell me whether i can go and apply for the visa when i have a conditional offer from a university in the uk or whether i have to have a confirmed acceptance from the university. I currently have a conditional offer.
Originally posted by Nix
Thanks alot for that reply. Could you please tell me whether i can go and apply for the visa when i have a conditional offer from a university in the uk or whether i have to have a confirmed acceptance from the university. I currently have a conditional offer.

This I don't know exactly, personally I'd ring up the British High Commission and ask them straight.

Remember you can always turn up at your Point of Entry and go through the process of being interviewed.
Originally posted by Koloth
Very impressive answer Expression :smile:.

Hehe, cheers. Just trying to help.

Latest

Trending

Trending