The Student Room Group

Can i do both university and an apprenticeship?

So i've just finished college and i'm currently on a gap year travelling. I'm really stuck on whether to apply to uni next year or an apprenticeship. I'd like to eventually become a travel agent so if i went to uni i'd like to do tourism management and if i got an apprenticeship it'd be a travel agent like STA or thomson. So far there's no telling if i'd get into uni as i'm still waiting for my results and i'm predicted Cs in all so I'd be looking at lower ranking unis which is fine by me but i really want to do both. I have a friend who did an apprenticeship, worked abroad for a year then went to uni which sounds appealing to me as i'd like to do an apprenticeship and earn money and then go into university. I like the idea of uni mainly because it's new, away from home, new people, stuff to learn and living on my own for the first time which i feel is important for young people to experience so that's the main reason for wanting to go to uni, not so much the degree. any ideas what i should do and if this is a good idea?
Going to uni to be a travel agent? Is that even a thing? What a waste on tax payer money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AccountingBabe
Going to uni to be a travel agent? Is that even a thing? What a waste on tax payer money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In much the same way as doing Accounting at university is a waste of time.
(edited 8 years ago)
I did an apprenticeship and I am currently in my second year of uni. It was probably worth it for the fact I have 3 years proper work experience and I managed to save a huge amount of money and buy a nice car. I am much more financially stable than anybody I know at uni.

In my experience graduates know absolutely **** all so anything you can use to differentiate yourself from the crowd is definitely a good thing.
Im currently half way through my one year apprenticeship and i am planning to go to university afterwards. Ive just started to put money aside. But my question is; will my level 2 diploma get me into university or will i have to do another year and get my level 3??
Reply 5
Original post by Sabre-Louise
Im currently half way through my one year apprenticeship and i am planning to go to university afterwards. Ive just started to put money aside. But my question is; will my level 2 diploma get me into university or will i have to do another year and get my level 3??

you will need a level 3 as that is equivalent to a levels
Original post by sdotd
you will need a level 3 as that is equivalent to a levels

I thought i might
Cant you do a Uni course with a year in industry etc?
Reply 8
Original post by zubairfazal
Cant you do a Uni course with a year in industry etc?

in all honesty i don't think my grades are going to be good enough to get into uni
Original post by Articultr
in all honesty i don't think my grades are going to be good enough to get into uni

Then look at an apprenticeship.

What course are you looking to study for at Uni? What are you predicted?

Are you applying with grades or UCAS points?
Reply 10
Original post by zubairfazal
Then look at an apprenticeship.

What course are you looking to study for at Uni? What are you predicted?

Are you applying with grades or UCAS points?

I would apply for Tourism Management or something similar.

I'd be looking at UCAS points as I only did 2 A Levels and 2 AS.
I've looked at Hertfordshire and their course is 240 UCAS points which is good because I got a B and C in AS and i'm predicted Cs in my A Levels which would make 240 points, just worried I won't get the two Cs :/
Have you considered doing a sponsored degree programme? That way you get the benefit of professional work experience, a salary, no student debt and a degree at the end of it too.
Original post by RoundTrip
I did an apprenticeship and I am currently in my second year of uni. It was probably worth it for the fact I have 3 years proper work experience and I managed to save a huge amount of money and buy a nice car. I am much more financially stable than anybody I know at uni.

In my experience graduates know absolutely **** all so anything you can use to differentiate yourself from the crowd is definitely a good thing.

did it affect your parents' benefits if you were living with them?
Original post by RoundTrip

did it affect your parents' benefit if you were living with them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending