The Student Room Group

How much allowance should a 16/17 year old get?

Ideas/thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
None, they should get a job.
Original post by Pariswithlove
Ideas/thoughts?

A 16/17 should not be getting 'allowance' at all.
Sure, the odd bit of money off parents here and there to help if you're short, but they should be looking for a job and earning money for themselves.
its quite easy to say that we should just get a job but it's so hard to get one,especially if it's your first job. Employers want people with experience. I've been looking for a year and I've been turned down twice, the rest of the time either no where was hiring or they were looking for full time employees, or a manager
i 100% agree with the no allowance as soon as you leave high school, you should be looking for a job!
Wow people on here are really preachy.. I used to get ÂŁ5 a week from my Nan, I didn't get a job because I wanted to focus on my studying and didn't need the money.. however if I went out with friends I could only afford the train journey there and tap water but it was worth it :smile:
but what if your in full time education?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by azhar-1998

Posted from TSR Mobile

Evenings, weekends and holidays.
Reply 8
Original post by Hevachan
Wow people on here are really preachy.. I used to get ÂŁ5 a week from my Nan, I didn't get a job because I wanted to focus on my studying and didn't need the money.. however if I went out with friends I could only afford the train journey there and tap water but it was worth it :smile:

Doesn't sound very worth it to me. I was making a good ÂŁ150+ each week while in 6th form... I'd rather have that instead of a fiver off of my nan.
my dad gives me ÂŁ30 and ÂŁ75 monthly for cloths shopping so i think thats alright
*ÂŁ30 p/w
I didn't get any, I got a job. My friends got EMA, but luckily (!) that doesn't exist anymore.

They got an allowance from parents when they went to uni though. I didn't.
Zero. get a job.
Original post by Crumpetparade
its quite easy to say that we should just get a job but it's so hard to get one,especially if it's your first job. Employers want people with experience. I've been looking for a year and I've been turned down twice, the rest of the time either no where was hiring or they were looking for full time employees, or a manager

Your just giving up... if you really are struggling I would reccomend doing some voluntary work which is long term as that shows commitment to an employer.
Also having a good CV really helps, try to keep it to a page and include your availability, skills, work experience/voluntary roles and GCSE's - this is the first thing any employer sees when you submit an application so make it look good!
also don't just fill out the online applications in a rush, often there is a question section, in this section you are marked on how well you answer the questions and given a percentage, and employers often only interview people who get over that percentage, so answer thoroughly and honestly!
Twice isnt very many times... your just not trying hard enough! I left school in june and applied to 100+ places with no reply... yet eventually in october I got an interview and tried my hardest, and thus got the job... its no easy ride, but you have to put the effort in!

Original post by Hevachan

I also wanted to focus on my studying, so I only took on a 12 hour a week post. i do a full Sunday (8 hours) and a Thursday evening! this gives me around ÂŁ85 a week and covered my travel to and from college and my lunch money... you shouldnt have to rely on your parents/grandparents IMO.

having a job will not impact on your education as long as you plan your time correctly, and people like me who have had a job at A-levels will find it much easier to get hired after university as we have more experience, hence it is best to get the experience now rather than being stuck after uni with no references.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just work a small amount, like my 12 hours per week! its plenty and really helps get you great experience.
I used to work 12 hours a week and volunteer 5 hours a week, and i still kept up with my studies perfectly well. - during exam period i booked holidays off work and told volunteering i would be taking time off which allowed me to focus solely on exams!

my dad gives me ÂŁ30 and ÂŁ75 monthly for cloths shopping so i think thats alright

ÂŁ30 a week? what for? does this include lunch money and travel money because if so its understandable but ÂŁ30 a week just for recreation is so much!
also who needs ÂŁ75 a month for clothes, I work and earn around ÂŁ350 a month and most months I dont even use any of that for clothes... i dont understand why parents give their children so much
I get ÂŁ10 a month which basically pays for my mobile contract (ÂŁ8.50 a month). I only got a job during the summer holiday in year 12 because I wouldn't be able to cope with A Levels and a job. I did spend an awful lot of my time studying though, so there wasn't much free time which I could actually work.

Some students spend over an hour travelling to college and are stuck with a timetable which isn't job friendly, I remember having 3-4 hour blocks in between lessons. I don't think a little bit of money here and there is a bad thing.
ÂŁ15 a week for transport
ÂŁ40 a month for recreation
I turn 16 in December :smile:
Occasionally I get money from my mum- but that's like every 2 months or so

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
None.
Original post by NotNotBatman
None.

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I lived off and saved a good bit of my EMA (ÂŁ30 per week).
Feel sorry for those who can't get it anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At a legal working age, you shouldn't be getting an allowance, you should be getting a job. I don't have a job but I don't really spend money on anything. Even in full time education, you can get a part time job.

Quick Reply

Latest