University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

How to increase chances of being accepted by Oxbridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by WokSz
Personal statement.

I never said it did. But to assume that my opinion is irrelevant is a bit ignorant.

I must say I do find it quite amusing that someone who has studied at Cambridge is unable to rationally think about what I have said in my previous replies. I have never said that your grades are less important than ECs but if you're looking to do anything and everything to improve yourself, ECs will NOT hurt your application.

Seems like you have a point to prove: did I hurt your ego? I have softened my stance on it since my first post but by no means rejected it. Unlike yourself (it seems, please correct me if I'm wrong) I'm happy to accept when I've been wrong. I accepted earlier posters' opinions and also accepted that this varies from department to department rather than a University-wide policy. I guess you'll also get there one day with maturity.

I must also say that this is digressing slightly from the OP's question. If you want to continue this discussion, PM me. We're not really adding anything concrete to his/her question.

I'm maintaining the discussion because I think you are misleading people.

Again: there is no personal statement on a Cambridge graduate application. So your blithe comment about mentioning it on a personal statement shows ignorance of the Cambridge postgrad application procedure.

In you first post on the subject you not only stated that admissions are "adamant" about ECs, but you listed them ahead of academic references. If there is one thing that can mitigate slightly poorer grades or differentiate between students of the same grade, it is references.

Again, I can't speak for Oxford. But for Cambridge, where there is no personal statement, and where applications are evaluated by academics within departments, ECs are irrelevant. I don't need to soften my stance on that. Perhaps someone with experience of Oxford can tell us where on the postgrad application for Oxford they give applicants opportunity to talk about that, and how they affect admissions. For Cambridge, to improve your application you need good grades, good references, and a good fit with the research interests of the department. I do know of cases where good applicants have been rejected because departments did not have someone appropriate to supervise their area of research.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 41
Hey guys, another question I forgot to ask:
I am planning to take an extra course at KCL which is 100% related to control systems (intended area of research during my PhD). My question is: Is it better to do this subject and perhaps have grades a little lower (due to the heavier load) or just keep the subjects from my masters , which are more related to robotics itself?
Thak you all for opinions and tips!

Cheers
There is a personal statement section.

I am starting in a few weeks at Cambridge on a master's.
Reply 43
Original post by Newcastle456
There is a personal statement section.

I am starting in a few weeks at Cambridge on a master's.

There are sections where they specifically ask things like what your research interests are and why you want to do the course. There is no "personal statement" per se, unless your department requested one separately. Or are you talking about a personal statement for the funding part of the application, which doesn't affect admissions?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by WokSz

You must be talking about undergrads whereas the person you're talking to is talking about postgrads just a case of crossed wires I think.

In my humble opinion admissions care about academia but do care about EC's in so far as they don't want potentials sitting around in their spare time doing nothing. Oh and in preference they like their EC's to be academically related.
Reply 45
Original post by Allansman
Hey guys, another question I forgot to ask:
I am planning to take an extra course at KCL which is 100% related to control systems (intended area of research during my PhD). My question is: Is it better to do this subject and perhaps have grades a little lower (due to the heavier load) or just keep the subjects from my masters , which are more related to robotics itself?
Thak you all for opinions and tips!

Cheers

I would go for a higher grade in the masters because that's what they're looking at when making a decision. GL:smile:
Original post by WokSz

I've been reading your posts and the replies of those who have called you out on the incorrect and inaccurate information you seem to be peddling.

Firstly, whilst you may work in admissions at a "top business school" as you put it, that does not equate to admissions at Oxbridge nor can any similarities be drawn and this boils down to you being adamant that somehow ECs are an important part of an Oxbridge postgraduate application and having studied at Cambridge for a Master's and now going onto Oxford for further study whilst also being familiar with the admissions process at both institutions, that information is totally false. With the exception of the MBA programmes (and even then it would never override grades, GMAT and work experience), no application would be unsuccessful on the basis of ECs.

Secondly, you seem to think your "experience" puts you in a better position than those who have actually studied at the university and genuinely know the system. This is just silly.

Thirdly, I wonder if it is befitting or considered professional for a supposed "admissions tutor/officer etc" of a "top business school" to firstly be giving grossly inaccurate information about other institutions to which you have absolutely no professional affiliation with or otherwise and also, to be constantly engaging/provoking an argument on a public forum in full view of prospective students some of whom might be reading this thread?
Original post by WokSz
Personal statement.

I never said it did. But to assume that my opinion is irrelevant is a bit ignorant.

I must say I do find it quite amusing that someone who has studied at Cambridge is unable to rationally think about what I have said in my previous replies. I have never said that your grades are less important than ECs but if you're looking to do anything and everything to improve yourself, ECs will NOT hurt your application.

Seems like you have a point to prove: did I hurt your ego? I have softened my stance on it since my first post but by no means rejected it. Unlike yourself (it seems, please correct me if I'm wrong) I'm happy to accept when I've been wrong. I accepted earlier posters' opinions and also accepted that this varies from department to department rather than a University-wide policy. I guess you'll also get there one day with maturity.

I must also say that this is digressing slightly from the OP's question. If you want to continue this discussion, PM me. We're not really adding anything concrete to his/her question.

To address the points that have been bolded and underlined:

1) There is no "personal statement" on an Oxbridge postgraduate application form. You could use the section for your research proposal to briefly mention this but it would be a waste of words.

2) Your opinion is irrelevant in this context as you neither work at or have worked at either university in admissions nor have any experience or knowledge of the admissions process at both universities. Your experience at your "top business school" which whilst useful is not an accurate or even similar reflection of what would be expected at Oxford or Cambridge and so yes your opinion on the matter can be totally dismissed.

3) ECs won't hurt or boost the application, they'll do nothing and even more so as they're not even mentioned on the application whatsoever. So to keep discussing them is essentially akin to flogging a dead horse.

4) If the conversation has digressed it's because you offered totally inaccurate information and even when told that this was incorrect, you appear to be standing by it even though now at least 3 or 4 people (including myself) all of whom are current Oxbridge students/graduates have said otherwise.

5) Your constant provocation of an argument in referring to poster's egos or questioning their level of maturity raises questions about the level of your professionalism and I just wonder if this is the expected/typical behaviour of admissions staff at your "top business school" i.e. to trawl intertnet forums, give inaccurate advice about other universities to which you have no affiliation and then argue/namecall others when you have been questioned for the accuracy of your information?

Oh and for someone with such a vast and authoritative expertise on Oxbridge admissions, it didn't stop you posting this thread asking for advice on the matter:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3298653
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
To address the points that have been bolded and underlined:1) There is no "personal statement" on an Oxbridge postgraduate application form. You could use the section for your research proposal to briefly mention this but it would be a waste of words.2) Your opinion is irrelevant in this context as you neither work at or have worked at either university in admissions nor have any experience or knowledge of the admissions process at both universities. Your experience at your "top business school" which whilst useful is not an accurate or even similar reflection of what would be expected at Oxford or Cambridge and so yes your opinion on the matter can be totally dismissed.3) ECs won't hurt or boost the application, they'll do nothing and even more so as they're not even mentioned on the application whatsoever. So to keep discussing them is essentially akin to flogging a dead horse.4) If the conversation has digressed it's because you offered totally inaccurate information and even when told that this was incorrect, you appear to be standing by it even though now at least 3 or 4 people (including myself) all of whom are current Oxbridge students/graduates have said otherwise.5) Your constant provocation of an argument in referring to poster's egos or questioning their level of maturity raises questions about the level of your professionalism and I just wonder if this is the expected/typical behaviour of admissions staff at your "top business school" i.e. to trawl intertnet forums, give inaccurate advice about other universities to which you have no affiliation and then argue/namecall others when you have been questioned for the accuracy of your information?Oh and for someone with such a vast and authoritative expertise on Oxbridge admissions, it didn't stop you posting this thread asking for advice on the matter:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3298653

PRSOM !

Original post by WokSz
d we have just hired two people who worked in admissions at Oxford. Their information was clear: it won't make up for bad grades but it always looks good.

t.

If that is really how they look at EC, no wonder they excel on the Thames much more than in university rankings.....

:tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sj27
There are sections where they specifically ask things like what your research interests are and why you want to do the course. There is no "personal statement" per se, unless your department requested one separately. Or are you talking about a personal statement for the funding part of the application, which doesn't affect admissions?

http://www.devstudies.cam.ac.uk/admissions-1/admissions#section-1 - Statement of intent for me.

Maybe it was different for you.

Also to confirm what everyone else is saying, it is about relevant ECs. Mine were my internships at two global think tanks, my political economy dissertation, my work at political parties and my society work for charities at university. This is for an International Development master's where this actually plays a HUGE part, and I believe everyone admitted on the course has done similar things, a lot returning from work in intergovernmental institutions/charities/similar things.

This is in addition to good references from a top UK university, and a good grade 67%+, as it says in their requirements for virtually every course *High II.I*.

If you go to a weaker university, you just need to score higher than at a better university in terms of grades. Thus, this would only apply to your Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, etc type of university, otherwise you really need a first but as with anything, there are always exceptions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
http://www.devstudies.cam.ac.uk/admissions-1/admissions#section-1 - Statement of intent for me.

Also to confirm what everyone else is saying, it is about relevant ECs. Mine were my internships at two global think tanks, my political economy dissertation, my work at political parties and my society work for charities at university. This is for an International Development master's where this actually plays a HUGE part, and I believe everyone admitted on the course has done similar things, a lot returning from work in intergovernmental institutions/charities/similar things.

This is in addition to good references from a top UK university, and a good grade 67%+, as it says in their requirements for virtually every course *High II.I*.

If you go to a weaker university, you just need to score higher than at a better university in terms of grades. Thus, this would only apply to your Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, etc type of university, otherwise you really need a first but as with anything, there are always exceptions.

See, this is semantics! What you call ECs is exactly what Jantaculum said about non-academic stuff - ie ECs only matter if they are relevant, and everything you listed is relevant to your application - that's not what I meant by "EC" in the debate and not what the original post promoting them was - It is not about sports or music or whatever stuff that makes you enjoy the wider "Oxbridge experience" or whatever the term was. See post 6 by Jantaculum and his response to her in post 8. This is what the debate was about (so thanks for confirming our view).

(Btw just FYI as you mention 2:1, for my department and a number of others, a first is the stated minimum entry requirement, and for certain other departments they state 2:1 but almost everyone entering has a first anyway. This is regardless of original university, which isn't quite as important as you imply, but you'll see that when you start there. The slightly more lenient academic offers tend to be in the less competitive courses, other than those applicants with other outstanding (relevant) parts of their application, or sometimes if they are coming from undergrad at Cam.)

I'm sure you'll enjoy Cam, it's an amazing university :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Those "ECs" are in fact relevant work experience which is often required for specific courses and a separate category fromm ECs.

Without sounding pedantic/snooty etc I wouldn't say UCL, Warwick and Durham and to some extent even LSE are a stringent as Oxbridge even in postgraduate admissions but of course that varies with the programme.
Those "ECs" are in fact relevant work experience which is often required for specific courses and a separate category fromm ECs.

Without sounding pedantic/snooty etc I wouldn't say UCL, Warwick and Durham and to some extent even LSE are a stringent as Oxbridge even in postgraduate admissions but of course that varies with the programme.

Yes, it'd largely depend on the course. Some of the grad schools at some of those unis have reputation as the top in UK for the particular field. Even better than Oxbridge, and it's quite difficult to get offer.

anyway.... we can wait and see if this statement from him earlier still stands....
Original post by WokSz
...... I'm happy to accept when I've been wrong.........
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jantaculum
No. But with a first from LJMU, excellent references that will back up a very high position within your cohort from the start, and as much professional experience as you can gain along the way, you are still in a position to submit a competitive application for Masters study.

Thanks, I’m just worried because I didn’t do well in my A-levels although I did get A*’s in my maths and physics GCSE's, and I don’t want to be at a bad university. I just hope I get into a good university for my masters (liverpool/manchester/imperial etc).
Original post by mehdi313
Thanks, I’m just worried because I didn’t do well in my A-levels although I did get A*’s in my maths and physics GCSE's, and I don’t want to be at a bad university. I just hope I get into a good university for my masters (liverpool/manchester/imperial etc).

Your A-levels/GCSEs results don't matter at all in application for master's course. That's the past already behind you.

For postgrad course, what's much more important is not a name of university (if that's what you mean by 'a good university':wink: but if a university has a masters course that you really want to do and how their courses/academic staff are like because each of them are quite specific in the content and how they do it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mehdi313

Your secondary school grades have absolutely no bearing on your postgraduate applications whatsoever.

The word good is very "subjective" and as others have said "the best" university is the one that offers your programme and is strong in it. Indeed, it is often the case that places outside the big name institutions like Oxbridge, Imperial or LSE might be stronger in a particular subject.

However if your heart is set on say Oxbridge which is of course strong in all departments then it goes without saying you would need to present high grades/results in order to have a competitive application (in addition to a strong research proposal and references).

A First-Class degree from LJM University wouldn't be a barrier if you had strong references and a decent research proposal for which there is an appropriate supervisor. This is why it is important to also research course/faculty websites and see whether their research interests mirror your interests. I would say also try to email potential supervisors but you should ask the courses secretary etc that first as some departments are ok with that whilst others specifically ask you not to and that allocation of a supervisor would only be done once you have applied.
Your secondary school grades have absolutely no bearing on your postgraduate applications whatsoever.

The word good is very "subjective" and as others have said "the best" university is the one that offers your programme and is strong in it. Indeed, it is often the case that places outside the big name institutions like Oxbridge, Imperial or LSE might be stronger in a particular subject.

However if your heart is set on say Oxbridge which is of course strong in all departments then it goes without saying you would need to present high grades/results in order to have a competitive application (in addition to a strong research proposal and references).

A First-Class degree from LJM University wouldn't be a barrier if you had strong references and a decent research proposal for which there is an appropriate supervisor. This is why it is important to also research course/faculty websites and see whether their research interests mirror your interests. I would say also try to email potential supervisors but you should ask the courses secretary etc that first as some departments are ok with that whilst others specifically ask you not to and that allocation of a supervisor would only be done once you have applied.

Thank you! I now have an idea of what to do during my bachelors degree to get onto the masters. Thanks for detailing your advice a bit. :biggrin:
Original post by vincrows
Your A-levels/GCSEs results don't matter at all in application for master's course. That's the past already behind you.

For postgrad course, what's much more important is not a name of university (if that's what you mean by 'a good university':wink: but if a university has a masters course that you really want to do and how their courses/academic staff are like because each of them are quite specific in the content and how they do it.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Surprised our resident Oxbridge Admissions expert hasn't posted a response yet.
I had a 2.1 offer, 2 people at my university on same undergraduate course as me had 67% offers and people from 'lesser' universities had 1st offers for the same given postgraduate course. A guy who did it the year before me had a 1st offer from my university, was on econ ug course. This is purely my anecdotal experience though.

My point is, the offer is completely applicant dependent.

In truth, I ended up on 68% and the other 2 had 74% approx averages in end. So, a 67%+ benchmark is probably good.

I am not disagreeing with anyone, just adding some extra information. Anyway, I'm not exceptional per se and worked really hard, if you want to do something you can, just takes sacrifice. My first year average was 56% with 80% of the modules 2.2 or below.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending