The Student Room Group

L100 - Durham vs. Warwick

This poll is closed

Which?

Durham11%
Warwick89%
Total votes: 55
Okay, just to be sure. I have my heart set on Warwick and it's generally seen as a better uni for Economics, but I just wanted to take a poll and see what others would choose.

Durham definately has it's advantages over Warwick; it has a great reputation overall, collegiate system, better night and social life. But Warwick has a great course that I like and it is better for Economics.

Taking everything into consideration, which of the two would you choose?
Reply 1
Metropolitan
Okay, just to be sure. I have my heart set on Warwick and it's generally seen as a better uni for Economics, but I just wanted to take a poll and see what others would choose.

Durham definately has it's advantages over Warwick; it has a great reputation overall, collegiate system, better night and social life. But Warwick has a great course that I like and it is better for Economics.

I am pretty sure 9/10 people will say Warwick. Warwick is a better uni and better for Economics.

Depends what YOU want though. Both are great. I know atleast I would have a much better time in Durham than in Warwick and I would pick Durham over Warwick. But I am the exception.

You can't go wrong with either uni.
I didn't have the choice because I was rejected by Warwick and had to choose between Dur, Bris and York but it would have been tough. Probably (but I will never actually know) I would have gone for Warwick unless I really thought I would have a horrible time there. Some people here chose Durham, including one of my best friends who I am living with next year. Go to the open days and decide.
Reply 3
I would say Warwick, as it ranks higher in the tables (though many people recommend ignoring those), it's part of the Russell Group which, I believe, aids research funds, if that holds any weight with you, and has a better reputation for Economics, especially amongst the ibanks etc. where Warwick's course is renowned as one of the most mathematical in Europe.
warwick.
Reply 5
I REALLY wish i had put Durham down instead of York.

Its on par academically i would say and it doesnt have as many stinking chavs about.
Reply 6
The decision is obvious, i.e. Warwick. I love Durham for its collegiate system, but Warwick more than compensates for that.
Excellent thread -- this is exactly the situation i'm facing. Tbh all my friends and others say I should go to Durham (it seems to me that it does have the better reputation by far) Whereas people in the know for economics say Warwick is where i should pick. I'm gonna go to the two open days, but what I think it will boil down to is:
If i want a career in economics then Warwick is the uni; If I want a city job not in economics then Durham is the place for me. Decisions, decisions...
Makky_Legend
If I want a city job not in economics then Durham is the place for me. Decisions, decisions...

Mate, I hate to say it, but that is probably not true.
Reply 9
Makky_Legend
Excellent thread -- this is exactly the situation i'm facing. Tbh all my friends and others say I should go to Durham (it seems to me that it does have the better reputation by far) Whereas people in the know for economics say Warwick is where i should pick. I'm gonna go to the two open days, but what I think it will boil down to is:
If i want a career in economics then Warwick is the uni; If I want a city job not in economics then Durham is the place for me. Decisions, decisions...

So not true. Investment Banks (ie. the city) target 5 universities primarily for front office, Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Warwick. Probably split into Oxbridge & LSE and UCL & Warwick as tiers, but still, Warwick's better than Durham for city jobs. Not that Durham's bad, it isn't at all, but it's not a target uni. The city *is* people in the know. There are very few actual economics jobs.
Reply 10
Warwick rules.

/sleeps
I would go Warwick if I had to choose blind. But it is best to go to both open days :smile:
Reply 12
i don't know much about durham... but i just love warwick coz it's beautiful.. it's also a good uni which is consistently ranked on top of league tables..
Reply 13
Inflation
I would go Warwick if I had to choose blind. But it is best to go to both open days :smile:

No-ones going to disagree with that.
Reply 14
i know that internationally, Warwick has a slightly better reputation for economics than Durham, which is why I would choose Warwick over Durham.
Along with that, you might want to look at the type of job you want, and look at graduate prospects statistics to decide what will suit you better
Reply 15
Is your main aim in going to university to study economics to get into the city? If so go warwick.
Depends on what you want to do with your life; I've always thought that people who study straight economics seem to be mostly interested in using it as a vocational course rather than pure academic interest, where perhaps other subjects would be combined.

On that basis, I would choose Warwick. But then again, I can't possibly imagine going for straight Economics.

Durham is an absolutely astounding university, but it doesn't have the IB rep of Warwick. However, I would generally choose Durham because I think it's the better university.

But people at Durham do get into IB (and we DO get targeted for a few things, UBS and BarCap at least) and people at Durham also go into a whole range of other interesting jobs.
You decided yet mate?

Think careeer oppurtunities, Warwick is defo. being targeted by top IB Firms if that is what you are into...
Metropolitan

I swear you are actually me. Are you me?:confused: I'm not sure I completely agree with you on the night/social life, talking to friends it appears Warwick has more going on - but most importantly it's not where you go out, it's who you go out with, you'll make brilliant mates at both places, and ultimately, wherever you go you'll love it, guaranteed. I think one +ve I can think of that personally makes warwick better in my mind over Durham is that the language centre is world-class and open to all students - I think it would be really useful to cont. learning a foreign language.
Garrrr, I really can't make my mind up!
yeah similar for me, but warwick: industrial eco

can't decide- gonna visit warwick again and durham in my gap year...

Latest

Trending

Trending