The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Doing American Summer Camps with the late Durham Easter Term dates?

I've always wanted to work on one of these Camp America summer programmes so I got an early start and began filling in my application. The start dates of most American camps means all the companies I've looked at require you to be available to fly out between 1st May - 20th June but Durham's Easter term seems to end later than most other Unis (I will be studying at Durham next year). Durham finishes 24th June 2016 which means I would be able to fly out in the dates required!

I'm gutted and was wondering whether any Durham students have done these summer Camps and should I still apply (could some camps be more flexible?) or are there other similar experiences you can recommend I look into instead?
Lots of Durham students do those camps :smile: Many of the companies allow you to ask to potentially be accepted on to a camp that starts later, however also bear in mind that whilst the term finishes later, you often don't need to be in Durham until that time. Exams tend to finish about a month/3 weeks before the actual end of term, and for the most part you wont need to be in Durham during that time. However, bear in mind you would still have to pay for college accommodation in that time, and that time of year is well known for being one of the best parts of the student calendar - there's always a lot going on (and if it's your first year it's even better).

You would need to check with your department though - depending on the subject they may require you to be in Durham. For example first year Physics students need to be in Durham after exams as they have a lab project to do. Some other courses require people to hang around for module choices, although more and more you're able to do it all online. Speak to your department before you apply though! :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by pianofluteftw
Lots of Durham students do those camps :smile: Many of the companies allow you to ask to potentially be accepted on to a camp that starts later, however also bear in mind that whilst the term finishes later, you often don't need to be in Durham until that time. Exams tend to finish about a month/3 weeks before the actual end of term, and for the most part you wont need to be in Durham during that time. However, bear in mind you would still have to pay for college accommodation in that time, and that time of year is well known for being one of the best parts of the student calendar - there's always a lot going on (and if it's your first year it's even better).

You would need to check with your department though - depending on the subject they may require you to be in Durham. For example first year Physics students need to be in Durham after exams as they have a lab project to do. Some other courses require people to hang around for module choices, although more and more you're able to do it all online. Speak to your department before you apply though! :smile:

Thank you that's all really helpful! It's reassuring to know that Durham students do still get on these programmes. I shall definitely phone up my department then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest