The Student Room Group

Employer Background Checks, Will employer know I am a First year Undergrad?

Hello, I am currently a first year undergraduate. I am apploying for full time jobs for the summer and not telling employers I am a student. Will they find out through credit checks or background checks? .
Reply 1
Credit check I don't think will show this up and most employers won't do this unless it is a banking type or sensitive job to check you not about to go bankrupt and be liable to inducements to steal or reveal secrets etc. More likely is any reference you use and if you have to provide identity documents and you have some as a home address, some as university (if you do study away from home). Also once on a payroll they ask you about any student loans as that has to be taken into account even if not meeting the threshold so assuming you have loan then it will be pretty obvious that way. Parent here and as someone who has been involved in recruitment fair warning that you might struggle to use the company you are applying to (if you get the role) as a reference in the future as they will really annoyed with you so the box 'would you employ them again' might not get ticked...what would you do if you did ever want to work for them longer term after studies too. Trust is important.

In many roles it can take time to train someone up so it is a poor arrangement to have someone for a few months and also unfair on a candidate who would want the job long term. So whilst not illegal it is in my opinion immoral.

There are lots of summer jobs out there in summer camps, Barracudas, football camps, tuition for 11+, hospitality jobs, tourism.

If you are honest they may be happy to have you for a few months and then invite you back for Christmas and Easter when staff are on holidays. I had a friend's son who was honest and now works regularly for a supermarket chain during holidays
Hi, this is not what background checks or credit checks normally do. They are basically looking at your records with financial institutions, banks/lenders/pay-day-loans, and also your record for criminal background. Best thing is to look very closely at the fine print of anything you sign and it should clearly tell you. However if you are applying to work at MI5 then yeh they will look into every place youve been, you and your extended family. The key is to look at the fine print of what you are agreeing to on the background checks. Don't be afraid to ask their HR team in general terms it's not clear what the background check covers, it's their job to help you so make them do some work for a change (instead of sitting around talking about their co-workers).
Ps. I explained on another thread that student loan deductions are confidential and wont be relayed to your manager.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending