The Student Room Group

Should my Chemistry teacher predict me an A*?

I got 273/300 UMS in my AS AQA Chemistry exam. That's around 91% UMS. I am really hoping that my Chemistry teacher will predict me an A*, however I think she is going to try and resist predicting me that highly.

During Year 12 I was predicted a B at AS, because I got a C (69%) in my January Chem 1 mock. I have improved massively since then, getting an A (90%) in my Chem 2 mock around Easter, and obviously 273 UMS in the real exam.

I think she will try to argue that I wasn't tracking at an A for most of Year 12 and so I don't deserve the prediction. How much should I try to fight for an A* prediction (as in calling in parents, talking to my head of year etc)?

Would 91% UMS usually get you an A* prediction?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, 100% fight for it, you've got over 90 UMS which suggests you can do the same at A2, which is an A*. Send her an email asking the likelihood, and if she says she wont, go from there.

Edit: I got an E in a timed past paper as i didnt bother revising, got over 90% in the real thing & am getting an A* prediction.

Original post by dancinglove
I got 273/300 UMS in my AS AQA Chemistry exam. That's around 91% UMS. I am really hoping that my Chemistry teacher will predict me an A*, however I think she is going to try and resist predicting me that highly.During Year 12 I was predicted a B at AS, because I got a C (69%) in my January Chem 1 mock. I have improved massively since then, getting an A (90%) in my Chem 2 mock around Easter, and obviously 273 UMS in the real exam.I think she will try to argue that I wasn't tracking at an A for most of Year 12 and so I don't deserve the prediction. How much should I try to fight for an A* prediction (as in calling in parents, talking to my head of year etc)?Would 91% UMS usually get you an A* prediction?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
I think it would be a fair prediction, I got a U in my January physics mock then came out with an A* hahaha, however my teacher predicted me an A (I wasn't planning on applying to uni that year though so my prediction didn't really matter).
Reply 3
Hi, for my AS i only managed to score 235 ums which was a B and was still predicted an A. Plus this year i recieved an A* without having to resit anything, so with your score then it would be very likely for your teacher to predict you an A*; especially as you only need 270 ums in A2. However im sure that your teacher would be open to talking to you about it as in my experience most teachers try to do their best for students.

Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You are inconsistent and I don't think your teacher should predict you an A*. If she did, the uni might not believe her or you apply for a course you are unlikely to get the grade for and miss out on one that you could have got in.

Getting your parents involved and putting pressure on your teacher is not a good idea because it may skew her actions which is what you are trying to do. She won't be doing the best for you by making unrealistic predictions.

You have to just face the fact you did not do the work earlier on and these are the consequences.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Maker
You are inconsistent and I don't think your teacher should predict you an A*. If she did, the uni might not believe her or you apply for a course you are unlikely to get the grade for and miss out on one that you could have got in.

Getting your parents involved and putting pressure on your teacher is not a good idea because it may skew her actions which is what you are trying to do. She won't be doing the best for you by making unrealistic predictions.

You have to just face the fact you did not do the work earlier on and these are the consequences.

The university wouldn't know how I was tracking in January surely? They can only see your AS and GCSE grades, they can't even see my AS UMS.

I find it really frustrating because I worked consistently throughout the year, however a lot of the theory only "clicked" for me around March. Before then I was spending much more time trying to memorise chemistry knowledge, and after I actually spent less time studying because I wasn't trying to memorise aspects of the course as I understood the concepts so could figure things out in the exam.
Original post by Alex621
I think it would be a fair prediction, I got a U in my January physics mock then came out with an A* hahaha, however my teacher predicted me an A (I wasn't planning on applying to uni that year though so my prediction didn't really matter).

Well done mate congrats :biggrin:DD
Reply 7
Original post by Eux
Yes, 100% fight for it, you've got over 90 UMS which suggests you can do the same at A2, which is an A*. Send her an email asking the likelihood, and if she says she wont, go from there.

Edit: I got an E in a timed past paper as i didnt bother revising, got over 90% in the real thing & am getting an A* prediction.

I think I will send her an email. In biology they will predict me an A* because my UMS was over 90%. I just wish the chemistry department would have a similar fair and clear cut rule that applies to everyone.
Reply 8
The university wouldn't know how I was tracking in January surely? They can only see your AS and GCSE grades, they can't even see my AS UMS.

I find it really frustrating because I worked consistently throughout the year, however a lot of the theory only "clicked" for me around March. Before then I was spending much more time trying to memorise chemistry knowledge, and after I actually spent less time studying because I wasn't trying to memorise aspects of the course as I understood the concepts so could figure things out in the exam.

An uni admissions tutor can read between the lines of an application, thats their job, if you do get an interview, they may also ask about your previous grades including mocks and UMS.

You need to show your teacher you are capable of an A*, thats not done by getting parents/heads involved.

Ask her to give you some pass papers to do and get A* in them, it does not need to be complete papers, just one or two questions out of them.

Are you applying for medicine/dentistry/vet?
(edited 8 years ago)
I got 273/300 UMS in my AS AQA Chemistry exam. That's around 91% UMS. I am really hoping that my Chemistry teacher will predict me an A*, however I think she is going to try and resist predicting me that highly.

During Year 12 I was predicted a B at AS, because I got a C (69%) in my January Chem 1 mock. I have improved massively since then, getting an A (90%) in my Chem 2 mock around Easter, and obviously 273 UMS in the real exam.

I think she will try to argue that I wasn't tracking at an A for most of Year 12 and so I don't deserve the prediction. How much should I try to fight for an A* prediction (as in calling in parents, talking to my head of year etc)?

I'm sure that'd get you the A* prediction. It'd be slightly unfair not to if you can perform that well!
Original post by Maker
An uni admissions tutor can read between the lines of an application, thats their job, if you do get an interview, they may also ask about your previous grades including mocks and UMS.

You need to show your teacher you are capable of an A*, thats not done by getting parents/heads involved.

Ask her to give you some pass papers to do and get A* in them, it does not need to be complete papers, just one or two questions out of them.

I'm planning on applying for Medicine and my predictions would be A*AA (if chemistry ends up as an A) or A*A*A (if chemistry ends up as an A*).

So I don't need the extra A* prediction and I'm mostly applying to AAA universities so it wouldn't be in my offer. But an extra A* prediction is always helpful.

What papers could I sit to show her I'm capable of an A*? I've already demonstrated that in my AS exams and I haven't studied enough of A2 to prove it there...
I'm planning on applying for Medicine and my predictions would be A*AA (if chemistry ends up as an A) or A*A*A (if chemistry ends up as an A*).

So I don't need the extra A* prediction and I'm mostly applying to AAA universities so it wouldn't be in my offer. But an extra A* prediction is always helpful.

What papers could I sit to show her I'm capable of an A*? I've already demonstrated that in my AS exams and I haven't studied enough of A2 to prove it there...

Have you actually asked her yet? You said 'you think she will try to resist', just tell her what you've said here and see what her response is first? :smile:
Original post by Alex621
Have you actually asked her yet? You said 'you think she will try to resist', just tell her what you've said here and see what her response is first? :smile:

I will ask her :smile: but a girl in Year 13 got 90% UMS last year and she refused to predict her an A*, so I was hoping for some guidance on whether or not my teacher would be being unreasonable to not predict the A*. :smile:

You definitely deserve to be predicted an A*. I got 259/300 in AS, and was still predicted an A*. It was probably because the teacher knew that I was dedicated enough to achieve the A*. And, in the second year, I did in fact receive the A* (289/300 in A2). Convince your teacher if she doesn't predict you the A*.
I will ask her :smile: but a girl in Year 13 got 90% UMS last year and she refused to predict her an A*, so I was hoping for some guidance on whether or not my teacher would be being unreasonable to not predict the A*. :smile:

ah I see, did you perform well at gcse? maybe you could refer back to those results to show that your result this year wasn't just a fluke
Original post by Alex621
ah I see, did you perform well at gcse? maybe you could refer back to those results to show that your result this year wasn't just a fluke

Yup I got a pretty high A* in Chemistry at GCSE (10A*s and 2As overall).

I'm frustrated because I have demonstrated a commitment to my education and achieving good grades in GCSE and AS exams, so it's annoying that she might hold the fact that I initially struggled with AS Chemistry against me.
Original post by Maker

I'm sorry but are you trolling? I have to say something here, if someone gets 91% at AS level surely they'd be predicted an A* at A2, through achieving that they have thereby shown they are certainly capable of getting an A*. No admissions tutor is going to question that prediction and they need not ask about mocks at interview because by which point, the applicant have passed the stage in which they select depending on your previous grades. OP you should be fine, if your teacher doesnt give that A* prediction, I would definitely persist and complain if I were you.
so it is possible to get a B because i got 221 UMS and still get an A* next year without resitting? in terms of UMS what were they in you A2 exams?
Reply 18
Can you breakdown your ums in units please?
Maybe if the isa/empa was where you dropped a lot of your ums, they may predict you an a* as you can obviously do the exams. ..

Congrats on 273! I got 291 in aqa as chemistry... :smile:
Original post by PS4
Can you breakdown your ums in units please?
Maybe if the isa/empa was where you dropped a lot of your ums, they may predict you an a* as you can obviously do the exams. ..

Congrats on 273! I got 291 in aqa as chemistry... :smile:

Wow well done on your UMS too :smile:)

It wasn't the EMPA as I got full UMS (60/60) on that.

I know I did better on Chem 2 than Chem 1, but I don't have the little results sheet handy right now -- I'll post later today :smile:

Thanks everyone for their advice, I will try to persevere with getting the A* prediction :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest