The Student Room Group

Uni and Part time job?

So going to start university for the first time in Sept and going straight into the 3rd year of the course. Recently just got my self a part time job at a super market. It is easy to manage uni and a job at the same time??? Is anyone else in this situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rathor
So going to start university for the first time in Sept and going straight into the 3rd year of the course. Recently just got my self a part time job at a super market. It is easy to manage uni and a job at the same time??? Is anyone else in this situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you get into the third year!? Did you do a HND before? :O

I'm just going into my third year and I've scaled back any commitments so that I can focus on my final year but still have a social life.

I will be working, but on the days that I've got uni, as I work within the university. Therefore I'll be in uni for lectures/work for 3 days a week and then off for four days.

As long as you're honest with the supermarket (which one? If you want to PM me it then that's fine as I'm on flexibility leave from one for the year) that you're going to be less flexible at times in the year and may need shifts covering.

Basically work <15 hours a week and you should be okay.
Reply 2
Original post by Roving Fish
How did you get into the third year!? Did you do a HND before? :O

I'm just going into my third year and I've scaled back any commitments so that I can focus on my final year but still have a social life.

I will be working, but on the days that I've got uni, as I work within the university. Therefore I'll be in uni for lectures/work for 3 days a week and then off for four days.

As long as you're honest with the supermarket (which one? If you want to PM me it then that's fine as I'm on flexibility leave from one for the year) that you're going to be less flexible at times in the year and may need shifts covering.

Basically work <15 hours a week and you should be okay.

Yeah haha I've just graduated from a HND :smile:

Yeah I've told my manager that I will be started uni late September and will let him know my days etc when I get my timetable and he was totally cool with it. Yeah because during my HND I was sometimes so up to date with assignments and college work that I did have days off were I did nothing and got very bored therefore I feel with this job I can at least keep myself active and earn a little money too? But dont know if uni will be alot harder than college :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I work two jobs during uni and i manage =)
Reply 4
Original post by Jackieox
I work two jobs during uni and i manage =)

Wow really? :redface: Do you still have spare time to study and do uni work as well as a social life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I worked at a supermarket. It was a ballache, but if you need the money, you need the money.

You certainly still have plenty of time to do your work. The average student spends ~10 hours a day procrastinating on the internet, just cut down on this.
Original post by cole-slaw
I worked at a supermarket. It was a ballache, but if you need the money, you need the money.

You certainly still have plenty of time to do your work. The average student spends ~10 hours a day procrastinating on the internet, just cut down on this.

Ohhhh internet. :flutter:
I worked at McDonald's all through sixth form and 4 years of uni. I think you'll be grand working alongside uni. Lots of students have part time jobs.
I worked and managed uni :smile: it's not hard
Reply 9
Thanks everyone for the replies :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rathor
Wow really? :redface: Do you still have spare time to study and do uni work as well as a social life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a struggle sometimes but thankfully my course isn't many hours so one job I just work evenings (four evenings a week) then my other job is casual so I work on my days off, this gives me plenty of time to study as I only get two full days off. However my lectures are only 2 hours so I have study time, I just manage my time =)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending