The Student Room Group

unrealistic expectations uni

I love travelling, i plan to do some more in the future.
Ik uni holidays are long and i will have a part time job. Does anyone go on holidays during that time? I'm talking countries far away aka outside of europe?
I'm quite good at budgeting and cutting corners when it comes to saving money, but idk if this travelling dream of mine is just an unrealistic expectation. Its not like im gonna fly business class but more to do with the amount of shifts people do at uni. How busy are people with their jobs, how many shifts(how long too) do they do a week?
Reply 1
'I will have a part-time job'; how do you know for certain?

As for the rest of it, there's too many variables to answer; it depends on the job, the shifts, holiday entitlement, when you can have time off vs your colleagues...
Original post by Anonymous #1
Ik uni holidays are long and i will have a part time job. Does anyone go on holidays during that time? I'm talking countries far away aka outside of europe?
I'm quite good at budgeting and cutting corners when it comes to saving money, but idk if this travelling dream of mine is just an unrealistic expectation. Its not like im gonna fly business class but more to do with the amount of shifts people do at uni. How busy are people with their jobs, how many shifts(how long too) do they do a week?

Lots of people go travelling during the summer months from uni or they plan to go when they graduate, if you want to go I am sure you could put your mind to it and make it happen. Just be realistic about how, when and where and set out clear and achievable goals to work towards. Have you researched where to go so you can figure out a budget?
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
'I will have a part-time job'; how do you know for certain?

As for the rest of it, there's too many variables to answer; it depends on the job, the shifts, holiday entitlement, when you can have time off vs your colleagues...

well i do hope to find a part time job and i'm going to try as much as i can to get one. saying i will have it just motivates me. hehe
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1

Ok, so you don't have much money, but you do have an abundance of time and that is the difference between being young and free and being tied up with mortgages, children and life.

You could take out a loan to go travelling with. You could work for 6 months after uni on the express understanding that the following 6 months will be for travelling or you could work and travel your way around the world.

Or, you could work in the travel industry at which point you will somewhat be paid to travel

Or join the Navy.

Good luck but do travel. I didn't do as much as I wanted to and wished I had. I am now going to have to wait until the kids leave home before I get another chance to be as free as I was in my 20s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending