The Student Room Group

Seeking advice

Hey, so I'm pretty torn right now. I'm currently am adult returner at college just about to finish my HNC this year, I've been given a conditional offer for social sciences at Napier, which is super close to me. I've been working towards uni for the last 2 years BUT I also work and I love my job! I'm torn whether to accept the offer if I meet the conditions or just to continue in my role and work my way up within our organisation should the opportunities arise. I'm not academically confident at the best of times. Is it really better to go to uni over working. My job is 9-5 so couldn't do evenings or weekends unfortunately.
Have you considered continuing your studies with the Open Uni instead? As you can then just aim to do a smaller number of credits each year and you won't have strictly timetabled activities so can just work on fitting in your studies around your job. Of course that would come at the cost of free time which may or may not be plausible depending on your other commitments (e.g. family, caring commitments, etc).

Uni isn't necessarily better than working, especially if you enjoy your job and are able to support yourself in it. In that case it would really be a question of whether you feel you want or need to explore your intellectual interests in a formal academic environment or if you are able to do so in a less structured way in your own time.

I can sympathise as it's a difficult decision (I am trying to hedge said decision myself by working part-time and studying part-time...which is sort of the worst of both worlds although I do like both my job and my studies a lot :redface:) but not one anyone can make for you! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. I think one of the things making me question the whole situation is confidence and finances. In my role I am working to just about pay my rent, if I choose studying I'll be in the same situation only I'll have a bit of support.

I do have children at home, it's so hard. During the HNC I've been able to keep my normal working hours albeit I'm tired a lot but I feel you on trying to do both it isn't as fun as it could be. I'm so glad not to be the only one.

My friends tell me to go to uni, some of my colleagues have said I shouldn't hold myself back. I'll maybe have to wait and see the timetable for social sciences and look realistically at if I can even do a small amount hours a week.
Hi there!
It might be worth having a conversation with your employer to see if you could work part time whilst studying. Universities also allow you to study courses part time rather than full time, so you may be able to balance the two and get the best of both worlds!
Best of luck!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending