The Student Room Group

Med applicants, how are the new A levels affecting your choices?

The college I'm starting is saying that I can only do 3 a levels and that some people do 4 but struggle and get bad grades. The teacher then said that they tend do only let people do 3 (even before the new a levels) which raises alarm bells with me. Bare in mind that its a basic FE college so my thought is that people who do 4 AS levels then 3 A2 do bad because of the bad teaching.

My thought is that there is no point arguing with them to do another A level as their teaching is probably mediocre anyway so I might as well study a subject that I like as a private candidate. So far its either a language ( I love learning languages. Its a hobby of mine) or a subject with minimal course work (cheaper as I will be an external candidate).

So my question is has anyone come across this, this year? What advice have you been given?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
The college I'm starting is saying that I can only do 3 a levels and that some people do 4 but struggle and get bad grades. The teacher then said that they tend do only let people do 3 (even before the new a levels) which raises alarm bells with me. Bare in mind that its a basic FE college so my thought is that people who do 4 AS levels then 3 A2 do bad because of the bad teaching.

My thought is that there is no point arguing with them to do another A level as their teaching is probably mediocre anyway so I might as well study a subject that I like as a private candidate. So far its either a language ( I love learning languages. Its a hobby of mine) or a subject with minimal course work (cheaper as I will be an external candidate).

So my question is has anyone come across this, this year? What advice have you been given?

For the new alevels, all Univeristies now accept 3 a levels.
They don't care about the fourth.
This is because all exams (both AS and A2) will be taken at the end of year 13.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
For the new alevels, all Univeristies now accept 3 a levels.
They don't care about the fourth.
This is because all exams (both AS and A2) will be taken at the end of year 13.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure? Do you know where I can find this information on official websites?
Reply 3
I was told by my college personal tutor that it doesn't matter if you take 3, all universities (and med schools) will accept you for 3 now. Having said that, I haven't seen rock solid evidence of this on any website. I'd personally like to see some evidence of this as well before choosing, but I don't know whether I will. I'm doing Chemistry, Biology and Law for my A levels, which I think would still give me a chance in medicine if I choose it in the future (I hope so anyway).

Gosh these linear A levels are a pain!
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
Are you sure? Do you know where I can find this information on official websites?

Yes
It's everywhere
This won't affect me because I've taken my AS - in fact im part of the last generation to have taken AS exams in the first year lol

Three a levels should be taken from now on. You can take four, but there's no point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi!

I got 10a* and 1 a at GCSE however am having second thoughts about my A Level choices. I have currently chosen Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics, and I am strong at all of these. However I am unsure whether I should replace Physics with Geography, German or possibly even English Lit. My reasons for this is that I often got bored with GCSE physics, and doing all science is supposed to be quite heavy. On the other hand I have been told universities like physics for medicine, and also I got bored fairly often with geography an English, and I disliked the oral part of German. Can anyone give me advice on whether I should stick with physics, or take something like German? Also, do medic schools like Cambridge, Oxford and Edinburgh really prefer taking all sciences? Will I have any advantage?

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by LucyRoseD
Hi!

I got 10a* and 1 a at GCSE however am having second thoughts about my A Level choices. I have currently chosen Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics, and I am strong at all of these. However I am unsure whether I should replace Physics with Geography, German or possibly even English Lit. My reasons for this is that I often got bored with GCSE physics, and doing all science is supposed to be quite heavy. On the other hand I have been told universities like physics for medicine, and also I got bored fairly often with geography an English, and I disliked the oral part of German. Can anyone give me advice on whether I should stick with physics, or take something like German? Also, do medic schools like Cambridge, Oxford and Edinburgh really prefer taking all sciences? Will I have any advantage?

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I took Physics at AS, and absolutely regretted it, got an A* at GCSE, and only just got a B at AS. If you are not 100% certain you want to do Physics, then don't do it. I'd recommend you do a subject that you enjoy and are confident that you'd get an A in. The best medical schools ask for 3 science subjects, and maths is also considered a science subject, so there is no advantage to you in taking on Physics too. A Level Physics is a lot harder than GCSE, so make your choices wisely. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LucyRoseD
Hi!

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, there is no advantage to all sciences. those unis have no preference and there is no advantage to taking physics over German,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending