The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Question about payments for King's accommodation?

Hi guys, so i've been allocated Angel Lane which is £185 a week. I've also been told how much each semester is going to cost.

Semester 1: £2900

Semester 2: £2700

Semester 3: £1650

I get around £2800 each semester with my loan and grant.

Do you King's students know when the payments for each semester have to be made? For example, will I have to have made the payment for semester 1 before the start of semester 2?

I'm asking as the student loan is split into equal costs each semester, but obviously some semesters are longer than others when looking at how many weeks i'll be in accommodation. It will be difficult paying the £2900 1st semester, as I won 't have much left over for anything else, but in semester 3 I'll have over £150 a week which I find a bit ridiculous.

Is this how the system works, will I be strapped for cash in the 1st semester but living like a queen in the 3rd?

Thanks for all your help!
Reply 1
I was wondering the exact same thing. The rent I pay decreases each semester but the amount I get in my student loan increases. It doesn't make any sense to me.

i get my first student loan payment on the 21st September but I pay the first semester's rent on 25th October. The dates for when the rent payments are due are here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/aboutkings/orgstructure/ps/finance/fees/accomm.aspx

You may be eligible for the King's Living Bursary which gets paid in two equal installments in December and February. My bank (Barclays) allows me to have an overdraft of upto £500 in the first semester without any fees so if I ever (hopefully I dont) go into my overdraft by the end of the first semester, I can pay it off using my Living Bursary (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/ug/funding/stufund/2015-16/other/bursaries/kingsliving2015.aspx)

That's my plan anyway
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Thanks for showing me the dates! I rang up yesterday but they said they can't confirm dates for me and I would find out when I arrive...

Yeah I think I'm eligible for £1000 and I'll save that for semester 2 and I'll be working semester 1, so will have enough to help with living costs but it's temporary and ends before semester 2.

I'm planning on paying off the overdraft from semester 2 with the extra money I'll get in the third semester.

What accommodation are you in?
Reply 3
Original post by roshni_khanna
Thanks for showing me the dates! I rang up yesterday but they said they can't confirm dates for me and I would find out when I arrive...

Yeah I think I'm eligible for £1000 and I'll save that for semester 2 and I'll be working semester 1, so will have enough to help with living costs but it's temporary and ends before semester 2.

I'm planning on paying off the overdraft from semester 2 with the extra money I'll get in the third semester.

What accommodation are you in?

i've been given Ewen Henderson. £!55 per week but the travelling costs will add up as the tube will cost me £2.90 for single fare (at peak times') and the bus will be £1.90 also single fare. I was hoping for Stamford Street but i've been put 4.something miles away from Strand campus..

I'm also gonna look for a job 1st semester. Im going to start applying for jobs a week before I move in. Also gonna look for some bar work for the good central London tips (I have bar experience)!

At least we wont need to worry about money and having a job in the final semester where we have exams though
Original post by H4RV3Y
i've been given Ewen Henderson. £!55 per week but the travelling costs will add up as the tube will cost me £2.90 for single fare (at peak times':wink: and the bus will be £1.90 also single fare. I was hoping for Stamford Street but i've been put 4.something miles away from Strand campus..

I'm also gonna look for a job 1st semester. Im going to start applying for jobs a week before I move in. Also gonna look for some bar work for the good central London tips (I have bar experience)!

At least we wont need to worry about money and having a job in the final semester where we have exams though

I'm at Stratford which is East London so I'm actually like half an hour away from my campuses (Waterloo and Guy's), but I'm not too bothered as it's closer to where I'll be working during semester 1. Yeah its probably a good idea to apply early, and you're likely to get bar work I imagine!

Transport is going to be expensive, especially if we need to go to the library or whatever after. I think the daily capping is around £5.30 if we buy an oyster card and also have a 16-25 rail card (it's a 34% discount) so it'd probably work out cheaper to rely on the capping than getting a daily or weekly travelcard.

What are you studying?
Reply 5
Original post by roshni_khanna
I'm at Stratford which is East London so I'm actually like half an hour away from my campuses (Waterloo and Guy's), but I'm not too bothered as it's closer to where I'll be working during semester 1. Yeah its probably a good idea to apply early, and you're likely to get bar work I imagine!

Transport is going to be expensive, especially if we need to go to the library or whatever after. I think the daily capping is around £5.30 if we buy an oyster card and also have a 16-25 rail card (it's a 34% discount) so it'd probably work out cheaper to rely on the capping than getting a daily or weekly travelcard.

What are you studying?

I'm just gonna take the bus which is £1.50 from Ewen Henderson it's the same (if not slightly quicker) than the tube which requires two changes. I'll probably end up taking the bus in the morning and just staying in central all day and go home at night (and back out if I'm going out with friends).

I'm studying Maths & Computer Science, you?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest