The Student Room Group

Should I take Maths A-level?

Hi,
I chose maths as one of my a-level options and i just want to know how difficult it is. I got a B at GCSE and i was a few marks off an A so how hard would it be for me to get an A or a B at AS? I am wondering if I put a lot of time in and try my hardest if I could get an A or at least a B. Thanks a lot :smile:
Hey what else are you taking ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm also taking maths a level this year and I've heard it is quite a challenge. You need to enjoy it to get through it is what I've heard from mostly everyone. But it is possible to get an A or a B at a level if you don't neglect it and do extra work :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
AS maths isn't too hard, in fact a lot of people I know found AS maths easier since the questions are less "wordy" than at GCSE
My cousin got a B at GCSE and fluked Maths a levels. I was a B grade student at GCSE and have been strongly discouraged from taking maths a level. It's a gamble that's only worth taking if you feel confident with the A/A* material at GCSE level
Reply 5
No. My friend got a B at gcse and an E at AS. Unis dont really care what the subject is unless applying for maths at uni! just dont.
The vast majority of people who are successful in maths A level would have got an A/A* at maths GCSE with a large proportion getting A*s. Indeed, there may be some people who get A*s at GCSE but may struggle to get an A at A level though I would expect this to be a minority of people. Given your B grade at GCSE, I would say only take maths A level if it's essential to your future university/career plans.
Reply 7
Like every other A-Level. If you work hard, it won't be too difficult. There are people who will find it easier than others, those people are usually those who understand the key concepts and the basics. So if you are going to take it, make sure you understand key concepts and the basics fully, then you will be able to get a great grade, as long as you continue to work hard.
Reply 8
This is what I got in maths for GCSE and A -level. In my opinion; I found the hardest modules for maths a level were S1 and C4 so along as you dedicate enough time you should do well. e.g. 1 hour a day for maths.

GCSE maths - A
A level Maths - C
I got an A* at GCSE this year, and I'm currently working my way through C1.

You could definitely do A Level maths if you really wanted to. In the week or so before school starts, my best advice is to pretend you're redoing your maths GCSE. If you're able to get an A* in GCSE exams, you're ready for A Level. If you're either too lazy or otherwise unable to achieve an A* at GCSE, I wouldn't recommend taking A Level maths. This is because C1 starts at an A* GCSE grade, so you'll essentially be two grades behind right from the start.

In short: if you can get an A* at GCSE, do A Level. If you can't, don't.
I think mathematics is the most useful subject for a future career.

Social sciences can be learnt by reading a book but mathematics is best to learn by being systematically taught by a teacher.

You could work in a bank, public sector.. so many roles as maths is so respected.

Quick Reply

Latest