The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HCAssistant93
Do you mind me asking what your UKCAT was?

Because those are good academics so maybe it was your UKCAT. I would ring them because they won't reply to emails for weeks and then it may be too late!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My UKCAT was 2680 so shouldn't have been too low? 4a* 4a 3b at gcse? Really don't understand why they couldn't give me a real reason haha yeah I think I'll ring tomorrow (:
Original post by lowacin
My UKCAT was 2680 so shouldn't have been too low? 4a* 4a 3b at gcse? Really don't understand why they couldn't give me a real reason haha yeah I think I'll ring tomorrow (:

Do they still look at AS levels even if u have achieved grades? cuy they can reject people if they don't have ABBB or above at AS.
Original post by setarcos
Do they still look at AS levels even if u have achieved grades? cuy they can reject people if they don't have ABBB or above at AS.

Don't quote me on this but I'd imagine if you had AAA overall and a B at AS you'd be fine

Well I don't know why they would and I don't think I even included them on my application and got AABBC anyway?
Reply 184
Original post by *pitseleh*
Hi - yes, it is integrated, but leans more in the direction of a traditional course. In your pre-clinical years, you'll have 20(ish) hours of lectures per week, with one or two half-day dissection sessions and one ILA (a small group tutorial where you prepare your own work in advance) every other week. You'll also have weekly sessions at a GP practice - can't remember if that starts in first or second year, since it's changed since I was in the pre-clinical stages, but I think it starts in first year. You'll also do dribs and drabs of small clinical attachments (a couple of weeks in a hospital, a small community attachment), a few practical skills sessions and some assignments (essays, presentations, posters). For a rough idea of what the weekly hours look like, expect to be timetabled for something or other from 9-5, Monday to Friday - sometimes a bit earlier, sometimes a bit later.

When you get to the clinical years (third year onwards), your whole time will be divided up into placements in different medical and surgical specialties, which last anywhere between 1 week and 6 weeks depending on the specialty, and your elective which is 7 weeks. There are also sporadic lecture weeks (I think we've maybe had two lecture weeks this year, but it might be three), plus more ILAs and essays/case reports (you get time off placement to attend ILAs, but not to do written work). Placements tend to run back-to-back, so holidays are small compared to those of other students (think 3 weeks in the summer, 2 weeks each at Christmas and Easter). You get about a week of study leave before every set of exams, though in fifth year you get a little bit longer because the Christmas holidays are right before the first set of exams.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Thank you so much!! It's so much more helpful hearing about information from med students themselves because websites can be a bit vague :smile:
Original post by lowacin

on the website it says

You should have at least six A grades in GCSE subjects.

so i think it because you only have 4 instead of 6
Original post by RedLeaf
on the website it says

You should have at least six A grades in GCSE subjects.

so i think it because you only have 4 instead of 6

Yeah but I have 4 A*'s AND 4 A's so that meets the minimum of 6 A's surely

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Docjones1
Don't quote me on this but I'd imagine if you had AAA overall and a B at AS you'd be fine

I thought the same but that's the only possible reason for him being rejected due to academics :\
Original post by lowacin
Well I don't know why they would and I don't think I even included them on my application and got AABBC anyway?

I know it's not important but I thought u had to put in all of ur public examination results :\ cuz they link it up with ur unique learner reference number. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just as confused as you are.
I thought the same but that's the only possible reason for him being rejected due to academics :\

I have A*AAB at A2 and an A in the dropped AS subject.
I know it's not important but I thought u had to put in all of ur public examination results :\ cuz they link it up with ur unique learner reference number. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just as confused as you are.

Well my tutor told me I didn't need to and if they wanted the info they'd ask for it? Doesn't matter anyhow as you said
Original post by lowacin

maybe its because you haven't declared it cos their web says

You should achieve grades of at least ABBB in these subjects. This requirement should have been met by the point of application, and declared on the UCAS form.

Original post by lowacin

You don't have AAA at A2 then?
You don't have AAA at A2 then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have A*AAB which is more? If they ignore the B it's A*AA which is enough and all in subjects they require.
Original post by RedLeaf
maybe its because you haven't declared it cos their web says

You should achieve grades of at least ABBB in these subjects. This requirement should have been met by the point of application, and declared on the UCAS form.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I'm applying with my A2 levels? Don't understand how my AS levels would matter?
Original post by lowacin
Posted from TSR Mobile

I have A*AAB which is more? If they ignore the B it's A*AA which is enough and all in subjects they require.

I misunderstood what you mean nevermind. You have Chemistry and another science in the A*AA? Neither the A* or the As were in General Studies, Critical thinking or Further maths were they? You took the ones you have A*AA in the space of two years as well?
I misunderstood what you mean nevermind. You have Chemistry and another science in the A*AA? Neither the A* or the As were in General Studies, Critical thinking or Further maths were they? You took the ones you have A*AA in the space of two years as well?

Yep, they're in chemistry, biology and science in society (not mentioned to be excluded) and all done over 2 years.
Original post by lowacin
Yep, they're in chemistry, biology and science in society (not mentioned to be excluded) and all done over 2 years.

I definitely think they made a mistake. Do call them tomorrow
Original post by TheMadHatteress
I definitely think they made a mistake. Do call them tomorrow

Ahh yeah or they just didn't want to give me a proper reason haha
Original post by lowacin
Ahh yeah or they just didn't want to give me a proper reason haha

Well whatever it is you should ask them ... Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending