The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi, how many places have they got available and how many interview are they doing ?
Has anyone got an offer from yesterday's medicine interview?
Original post by Bal_123
Has anyone got an offer from yesterday's medicine interview?

I had an interview and still haven't heard anything. I called them around 2pm and was told they were still making decisions but at the interview we were told we'd know by today... 😐
Original post by Ollylivvy
Hi, how many places have they got available and how many interview are they doing ?

We were told they were interviewing 60 people for 30 places
I thought they said they would make a decision by 5:00 today. Oh well, I'm going to ring them tomorrow.
Original post by Bal_123
I thought they said they would make a decision by 5:00 today. Oh well, I'm going to ring them tomorrow.

Which interview group were you in?
Can you tell me that A levels grades did you get for Sheffield to consider you ?
I got A* in Biology, A in Chemistry and a B in Maths.
Original post by Bal_123
I got A* in Biology, A in Chemistry and a B in Maths.

Have they given you a place ?
Original post by ukheman
Have they given you a place ?

They rang me up the day after results day, I told them what my grades were and they were fine with them.
Congratulations well done !!
Hi guys!!

Congrats to all of you who got in to study medicine this year! I'm about to apply for 2017 entry.
My stats are:
7A*'s 3A's at GCSE
2 A's at AS (only 2 because of subject reforms)
Predicted A*AAA/A*A*AA for A2

UKCAT average 713 band 1 SJT
I saw someone say to someone with a 717 UKCAT that they'd be wasting an application, though I quite like the Sheffield course so was thinking of applying. I wouldn't be applying with the thought of it being my first choice - my first choice would probably be Bristol, and my other choices are Birmingham and KCL. Do you think applying here is a good choice for me? In the end if I get one offer I'll be happy and I feel like perhaps it may be easier for me to get an offer here than at the others? I'd really appreciate your advice :smile:
Original post by erinls2
Hi guys!!

Congrats to all of you who got in to study medicine this year! I'm about to apply for 2017 entry.
My stats are:
7A*'s 3A's at GCSE
2 A's at AS (only 2 because of subject reforms)
Predicted A*AAA/A*A*AA for A2

UKCAT average 713 band 1 SJT
I saw someone say to someone with a 717 UKCAT that they'd be wasting an application, though I quite like the Sheffield course so was thinking of applying. I wouldn't be applying with the thought of it being my first choice - my first choice would probably be Bristol, and my other choices are Birmingham and KCL. Do you think applying here is a good choice for me? In the end if I get one offer I'll be happy and I feel like perhaps it may be easier for me to get an offer here than at the others? I'd really appreciate your advice :smile:

Stats wise you exceed the requirements- so don't worry there. But the thing is Sheffield is very PS heavy- so you have to make sure you meet all their points for your PS to get an interview. Their website explains what they are looking for in your PS and also maybe take a look at someone's PS who got an interview in the past two years to get an idea of what to include.
Well done everyone :biggrin:

Im hoping to apply to Sheffield this year for medicine but I hear they rank by UKCAT in stage 2. My stats are 12 A*s, A*AA prediction for A2 but a UKCAT of 1980 and SJT band 2. You have to get over 1850 to be considered but with this score is it unlikely Id get an Interview offer and am I just wasting an option if this is the case?

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 1234
I got 1950/2700 for my ukcat which is low averaging out to 650. Do you think this is good enough for sheffield to apply to medicine.
Hi I got

1A* 10 a's 1B at GCSE
And UKCAT was:
650VR
740 QR
650 AR
Band 3 - SJT
Total: 2040/2700
Is it worth applying here?
Original post by r.g
I got 1950/2700 for my ukcat which is low averaging out to 650. Do you think this is good enough for sheffield to apply to medicine.

It's risky in my opinion. At open days Sheffield sated the minimum cut off would be 1800 but they expected a more realistic cut off for interview to be somewhere in the range of 2000-2100.
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
Hi I got

1A* 10 a's 1B at GCSE
And UKCAT was:
650VR
740 QR
650 AR
Band 3 - SJT
Total: 2040/2700
Is it worth applying here?

Although you are definitely above the minimum threshold for this year of 1800, at an open day I attended an admissions tutor said he thought that realistically the threshold for interview would be more like 2000. If you go by that figure then you are only just over the threshold, however if you really love Sheffield then I would definitely take the risk.
Original post by elish2chambers
Although you are definitely above the minimum threshold for this year of 1800, at an open day I attended an admissions tutor said he thought that realistically the threshold for interview would be more like 2000. If you go by that figure then you are only just over the threshold, however if you really love Sheffield then I would definitely take the risk.

I was applying here as i thought it would play to my strengths :L where would you recommend based on my stats?
Hi guys, I got 687 on my ukcat what is the likelihood of me getting an interview? Sorry but I'm just a bit nervous x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending