The Student Room Group

Southampton BM4 Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by JenniB22
There's an IBIS and a novotel down in town, and there's a unilink bus nearby which will bring you right to the uni. Otherwise check Air BnB in highfield/portswood areas.

Thanks very much! I have just booked an Airbnb right next to highfield campus - super cheap
I also got an interview today, Tuesday the 8th!!

My UKCAT was 2980 or a 745 average :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by blackraven
congrats guys. what interview dates do you have? 7th or 8th?

7th in the morning

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody got any interview queries/worries I can help with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody got any interview queries/worries I can help with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just the group part, but I suppose you can't really say much about it!
Original post by Alexdaman93
Just the group part, but I suppose you can't really say much about it!

Haha not really, no! Just remember it's not something you can prepare for at all, but it's really not a big deal- lots of people really enjoyed it! Just relax and be yourself, basically!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha not really, no! Just remember it's not something you can prepare for at all, but it's really not a big deal- lots of people really enjoyed it! Just relax and be yourself, basically!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any tips on the panel interview? Is it the standard 'why medicine?' questions or do they like to ask more awkward ones?
Original post by sampowell92
Any tips on the panel interview? Is it the standard 'why medicine?' questions or do they like to ask more awkward ones?

Probably a mixture. I got the standard questions about medicine, teamwork, motivation, etc. They had my ps in front of them and asked about some stuff is written in there.

It's probably worth thinking about the NHS and current issues facing it, plus anything that's been in the news lately etc.

Anything weirder than that you probably wouldn't be able to prepare for anyway, but if do you get something like that then just think about how you can apply it to medicine and to your own skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
I've received an email from Warwick saying I may have an interview but only after I complete a volunteering survey. They are asking how man hours of voluntary work I've done in the last 2 years. Has anyone else got this? Did anyone else get an interview without having done many voluntary hours?
Original post by JackOws
I've received an email from Warwick saying I may have an interview but only after I complete a volunteering survey. They are asking how man hours of voluntary work I've done in the last 2 years. Has anyone else got this? Did anyone else get an interview without having done many voluntary hours?

Their entry requirements include a minimum of 70 hours work experience in the last two years (up to the UCAS deadline). It doesn't have to be voluntary, it can be any relevant work experience.
Reply 90
Ok I have plenty of that at least. Just wanted to be sure!

Original post by SummerSunshine
Their entry requirements include a minimum of 70 hours work experience in the last two years (up to the UCAS deadline). It doesn't have to be voluntary, it can be any relevant work experience.
Reply 91
What was everyone going to wear for the interview? I know they said smart so I was thinking of wearing a suit but I'm not sure if that's too formal.
Original post by moopea
What was everyone going to wear for the interview? I know they said smart so I was thinking of wearing a suit but I'm not sure if that's too formal.

If you're comfortable in a suit, feel free. If you're comfortable in smart trousers and a collared shirt, wear that. As long as you look smart they literally do not care what you're wearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moopea

Personally I'd much rather feel a bit too dressed up than too dressed down! I also find that wearing 'fancy interview clothes' gives me a bit more self-confidence: if I'm dressed to rock it, well maybe I will. Even if you've got a smart alternative to a suit, I would advise wearing something a bit special - maybe a new watch, belt, or shirt/blouse, or a special piece of jewellery, or even the special makeup that you hardly ever wear (special beard trim for blokes???) - that will give you the confidence boost.

For what it's worth, I'll be wearing a blouse/jacket/trouser combination not unlike this example, but with slimmer-cut trousers, no heels, and about two stone heavier than that model!
Original post by moopea

I'm wearing a smart dress, but I'm guessing that at least half of the interviewees may not feel comfortable doing the same... :tongue:

I had the 'shoe dilemma' (heels or flats) and also the 'what the hell do I do with my hair?!' panic, but think I've got it all sorted now.
Reply 95
Original post by prospectivemed56
Personally I'd much rather feel a bit too dressed up than too dressed down! I also find that wearing 'fancy interview clothes' gives me a bit more self-confidence: if I'm dressed to rock it, well maybe I will. Even if you've got a smart alternative to a suit, I would advise wearing something a bit special - maybe a new watch, belt, or shirt/blouse, or a special piece of jewellery, or even the special makeup that you hardly ever wear (special beard trim for blokes???) - that will give you the confidence boost.

For what it's worth, I'll be wearing a blouse/jacket/trouser combination not unlike this example, but with slimmer-cut trousers, no heels, and about two stone heavier than that model!

I agree! Always rather overdress than underdress. I'll be wearing my standard interview suit with black shoes. My interview is on the 7th at 1.30.
Is anyone else going to be doing the group task/interview at 9:30am on the 7th? I'm so nervous because it's so early- I'm worried that I'm still going to be half asleep!
Reply 97
Original post by SummerSunshine
Is anyone else going to be doing the group task/interview at 9:30am on the 7th? I'm so nervous because it's so early- I'm worried that I'm still going to be half asleep!

Yeah I do 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DT17
Are you kidding? How will you cope with 8am ward rounds and nigh shifts if 9.30am is too early for an interview? Seriously thought of you struggle in the morning make sure you get an early night and get up earlier than you would so you have a couple hours awake and out of bed before the interview starts. Might sound obvious to some, but worth saying...

Whilst I agree, being a morning-person and coping with night shifts are not really related. I am definitely not a morning person, but I'm fine on night shifts!
Original post by DT17
Are you kidding? How will you cope with 8am ward rounds and nigh shifts if 9.30am is too early for an interview? Seriously thought of you struggle in the morning make sure you get an early night and get up earlier than you would so you have a couple hours awake and out of bed before the interview starts. Might sound obvious to some, but worth saying...

I currently start my day shifts at 7am, work night shifts, and I am used to waking up at 5:30 (or earlier) for uni sports. My issue is more making sure I'm there early (in case of traffic), the long drive, the amount of time I'm going to want to get ready and the fact that I'm almost definitely not going to be able to sleep the night before! I know it'll be fine, but I personally work best in the afternoon!! This interview is so important, I would just feel slightly more prepared if I could get up at 9 instead of 5.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending