The Student Room Group

LNAT 2016 - Any advice/tips?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HXS
Hi guyss. I just had my LNAT today for KCL, how long till I hear anything?

you will find out around FEB 25-28. Last year they took longer than they had in previous years!
Reply 61
Original post by neal95
you will find out around FEB 25-28. Last year they took longer than they had in previous years!

I'm so scared after today I'm not confident enough to know I've passed. I've applied got loads of unis in London only KCL required the LNAT. I hardly revised 😩😩
Original post by HXS
I'm so scared after today I'm not confident enough to know I've passed. I've applied got loads of unis in London only KCL required the LNAT. I hardly revised 😩😩

I'm sure youve done fine, keep your nerves, youll need them in MAY/JUNE! if your score isnt what it should be, then they always look at the essay and if it's exceptional, they can still decide to take you! what's done is done, the ink is dry, nothing you can do about it now so try and take your mind of it :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by neal95
I'm sure youve done fine, keep your nerves, youll need them in MAY/JUNE! if your score isnt what it should be, then they always look at the essay and if it's exceptional, they can still decide to take you! what's done is done, the ink is dry, nothing you can do about it now so try and take your mind of it :smile:

Hmm I really hope I get into KCL. I don't fancy my other options. I might have to get into a uni in central London via clearing for the Llb program 😢
Original post by HXS
Hmm I really hope I get into KCL. I don't fancy my other options. I might have to get into a uni in central London via clearing for the Llb program 😢

I don't know if this has changed but when I did the LNAT in 2011, they had a cut off and anyone under that didn't get a place - but then in Adjustment they did take people with low LNATs. For example, my friend got a score of 14 (back when it was out of a possible 30), the average score for that year was 17, KCL rejected her. In Adjustment she got A*AA and KCL took her. So even if you do poorly on the LNAT if you can get strong A levels they may take you later
Reply 65
Original post by infairverona
I don't know if this has changed but when I did the LNAT in 2011, they had a cut off and anyone under that didn't get a place - but then in Adjustment they did take people with low LNATs. For example, my friend got a score of 14 (back when it was out of a possible 30), the average score for that year was 17, KCL rejected her. In Adjustment she got A*AA and KCL took her. So even if you do poorly on the LNAT if you can get strong A levels they may take you later

Hmm thanks for your help, so is this adjustment process a actual scheme? I know KCL have no clearing process for LLB so I might be in luck with the adjustment process
Reply 66
Does anyone have any idea how important the content of your essay is? I felt a lot of time pressure and in hindsight have realised I made a really basic Law mistake and I'm worried it's going to prevent me getting offers/cause universities to disregard my application (in my essay I basically stated that criminals don't go to jail before they are tried)? It wasn't a major point but I definitely discussed it :- ( Honestly heartbroken
Original post by HXS
Hmm thanks for your help, so is this adjustment process a actual scheme? I know KCL have no clearing process for LLB so I might be in luck with the adjustment process

Yeah adjustment is for if you exceed your offer. So say for the sake of argument KCL rejects you on your LNAT (fingers crossed that won't happen) and you accept an offer of AAA for somewhere else. If you then got A*AA, you would have exceeded your offer and you could then go into adjustment. KCL doesn't go into clearing for Law but it does go into adjustment. So where clearing is for people who miss their offers, adjustment is basically like clearing for people who do better than expected
Reply 68
Yeah adjustment is for if you exceed your offer. So say for the sake of argument KCL rejects you on your LNAT (fingers crossed that won't happen) and you accept an offer of AAA for somewhere else. If you then got A*AA, you would have exceeded your offer and you could then go into adjustment. KCL doesn't go into clearing for Law but it does go into adjustment. So where clearing is for people who miss their offers, adjustment is basically like clearing for people who do better than expected

Ah I understand! Thank you. I'm currently doing a btec course. Kings require DM for law; however I got D* last year and I'm predicted D* this year too. So if they reject me based on my LNAT I'll still stand a change via the adjustment scheme as I've exceeded the requirement. Do you know how long it will be until I hear their decision; I did it my LNAT yesterday...
Original post by HXS
Ah I understand! Thank you. I'm currently doing a btec course. Kings require DM for law; however I got D* last year and I'm predicted D* this year too. So if they reject me based on my LNAT I'll still stand a change via the adjustment scheme as I've exceeded the requirement. Do you know how long it will be until I hear their decision; I did it my LNAT yesterday...

Good luck! Sounds promising. I don't know if it's the same now but the date in January that my cohort got our LNAT results was the date that girls in my school were crying because KCL then released rejection emails so I'd imagine you'll hear something soon, fingers crossed for you

Original post by kyami
Does anyone have any idea how important the content of your essay is? I felt a lot of time pressure and in hindsight have realised I made a really basic Law mistake and I'm worried it's going to prevent me getting offers/cause universities to disregard my application (in my essay I basically stated that criminals don't go to jail before they are tried)? It wasn't a major point but I definitely discussed it :- ( Honestly heartbroken

It varies, some unis aren't that fussed with it if you got a good score in the multiple choice. Also, you don't have to know any law at all for these essays - I had never studied law, and I got offers from all unis I applied to - so I wouldn't think it will count against you. It's more about how you write the essay and the kinds of ideas you come up with I think
Reply 70
Good luck! Sounds promising. I don't know if it's the same now but the date in January that my cohort got our LNAT results was the date that girls in my school were crying because KCL then released rejection emails so I'd imagine you'll hear something soon, fingers crossed for you

It varies, some unis aren't that fussed with it if you got a good score in the multiple choice. Also, you don't have to know any law at all for these essays - I had never studied law, and I got offers from all unis I applied to - so I wouldn't think it will count against you. It's more about how you write the essay and the kinds of ideas you come up with I think

Thank you!!!!
I'm sitting this exam in a few hours.

For the essay writing question, should I refer to only my opinions and back up with solid arguements, or should I also counteract my view and criticise?
Original post by fire_and_ice
I'm sitting this exam in a few hours.

For the essay writing question, should I refer to only my opinions and back up with solid arguements, or should I also counteract my view and criticise?

IMO, the focus should be on your own opinions/arguments. If you find appropriate places in your essay to put in counterarguments you should, BUT remember to explain why the counterargument is wrong/not as right as your opinion. Remember you should be writing to persuade!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 73
Has anyone heard anything from this years LNAT in regards to offers/rejection?
Reply 74
Original post by HXS
Has anyone heard anything from this years LNAT in regards to offers/rejection?

Yes, I got rejected by kings. It's definitely down to my LNAT which went REALLY bad :/
Reply 75
Original post by Ruby17
Yes, I got rejected by kings. It's definitely down to my LNAT which went REALLY bad :/

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that! I did mine on Monday and I think it went really badly too.
I think I'm going to rejected too 😢 When did you sit the exam and when did you recieve your decision?
Section B of the LNAT was a joke. I just about made two points and realised I had less than 5 mins left to conclude. :cry:
Reply 77
Original post by HXS
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that! I did mine on Monday and I think it went really badly too.
I think I'm going to rejected too 😢 When did you sit the exam and when did you recieve your decision?

Dont worry about it, the hardest thing for me was telling my parents but thankfully thats over. I've already achieved my grades so I'm not going to let something like the LNAT think I'm not clever enough or anything and I think all of us should keep this in mind. I sat mine on 7 January and got my reply yesterday. You'll do well dont worry, I'm sending lots of love and prayers your way for KCL :smile:
Original post by fire_and_ice
Section B of the LNAT was a joke. I just about made two points and realised I had less than 5 mins left to conclude. :cry:

IMO the conclusion is the least important part of the essay by far. In fact I don't think a conclusion is even necessary. Your opening paragraph should be a mini summation quite similar to a conclusion, thereby reducing the need for one.

Two points is plenty, especially if you go into sufficient depth. Its better to discuss one/two/three points in detail than skim over 7-8.

Don't worry, nothing you can do about it anyway now, I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by Ruby17
Dont worry about it, the hardest thing for me was telling my parents but thankfully thats over. I've already achieved my grades so I'm not going to let something like the LNAT think I'm not clever enough or anything and I think all of us should keep this in mind. I sat mine on 7 January and got my reply yesterday. You'll do well dont worry, I'm sending lots of love and prayers your way for KCL :smile:

I got rejected too and I've never been more devastated. I'm really holding out for adjustment and I'm gonna work so hard to get at least 1 or maybe 2 A* and hopefully they're doing adjustment this year. But Newcastle is gonna be my firm, what about you??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending