The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year and applying for law

Hi everyone,

I'm considering the possibility of taking a gap year (I'm in yr13 rn) since I can't see myself studying economics at uni. I was forced to apply for it by my parents even though I was more interested in PPE, but now they've come around and want to support me if I do take a gap year.

Right now I'm struggling to decide between doing PPE or Law, but if I do go with Law it would be really helpful if anyone has any tips on how to make a competitive application for Oxbridge and other top unis. I do maths, Econ and physics and am predicted all A* s, which I'll hopefully achieve.

In terms of books does anyone have any recommendations? And how important is work experience as I don't know if I will have time to try and find some over summer? And lastly, how would you recommend preparing for the LNAT?

Sorry for the barrage of questions lol, but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated (:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi!
(Sorry this is so long but I've poured out all my advice and knowledge to help lol). I'm a current Year 13 who has applied for Law.
When struggling to choose a course, I recommend choosing the one you think you will enjoy the most but if this still causes some trouble I have some tips. I recommend looking at the different modules and the type of assessments the courses have and if you are interested in them. If you do not enjoy the sound of dissertations, there are a few courses out there that do not require them, and if you prefer the practical over the theoretial side of the law then you should also take that into consideration. I've also heard from my teacher that philosophy as a degree can be extremely challenging but that's just one person's opinion, I advise you to look at others and what's challenging for one, may not be challenging for another so don't let that sway your opinion.

In the case of politics, I am a politics student and chose it as a last resort with very little background knowledge or passion for the subject, however, it was easy to pick up at first and I am now predicted an A. Bear in mind however, at both a level and degree level there are a ton of examples you need to know like the back of your hand e.g., the results of general elections, the % of voters and their demographic etc. It doesn't go without saying but a Law degree is FULL of cases etc, however, I personally find legal cases far easier to remember than random facts and statistics which constantly need updating. Also, sometimes politics isn't for everyone, it can at times be quite boring, especially learning about the structure of parliament like the Cabinet, House of Commons, House of Lords etc. There can be some overlap with law but it is quite minimal.

Regarding a successful Oxbridge application, they strongly emphasised the LNAT in my personal experience (I was rejected from Cambridge with A*A*A predictions but a mid LNAT score - the reason for the rejection). They also value some work experience which I can help with bearing in mind what you said above. Within your personal statement, I've heard they like to see your ability to debate and elaborate which can be useful when applying for either subject. In addition to this, they like to see your passion for a certain area of the law and I focussed on Human Rights law in my personal statement. It shows dedication and true interest in law, while also displaying decent knowledge that you are willing to explore further in your degree.

https://www.theforage.com - This is a link to online work experience, they have a large selection for law with many courses from Magic Circle law firms. I completed the Linklaters legal foundations course and found it very interesting and also mentioned it in my personal statement. They also have ones from Clifford Chance and Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer but all of them can be completed within your own time as there is no deadline for them to be finished. I did mine over the course of a month or two as I was in the middle of mock exams and still learnt a great deal from them.

Regarding books, this largely depends on the area of law you are interested in and if you let me know I'd be happy to give some personalised recommendations. There is a list of books that Cambridge has outlined on their course page and these include:
What About Law? by C Bernard, J O'Sullivan & G Virgo;
Letters to a Law Student by Nicholas J. McBride;
Learning the Law by Glanville Williams;
The Law Machine by Berlins & Dryer;
Law and Modern Society by P. S. Atiyah;
How to Do Things with Rules by William Twining and David Miers;
Eve was Framed: Women and British Justice by Helena Kennedy;
Law: A Very Short Introduction by Raymond Wacks.

I strongly recommend The Law Machine as it is a very detailed description of the legal structure of the UK including the different courts etc but it's important to note it is outdated so some of the material is not relevant or has changed. I have also read a book called Lawless by Kimberley Motley who is an American Human Rights lawyer and it's a detailed account of some of the life-changing work she has done including some of the troubles she has encountered. Another book that isn't on the list that I've been recommended a few times is The Rule of Law by Tom Bingham however I am yet to read it.

I know that this is a lot of books and it may seem quite daunting but you don't have to read them all, and I understand some are expensive or it may be a bit pricey to buy them however there are some resources out there that allow you to download PDFs of the books and there is also a great website that sells second-hand books which is where I purchased The Law Machine and Lawless: https://www.wob.com/en-gb. I will work on looking for a link to the PDF books and if I find it I will come back to comment on it.

In terms of the LNAT, preparation is purely down to practice (which I didn't do enough of) so I highly emphasise starting early. You can do this by practising essays and timing, you have about 35-40 minutes in the actual exam which seems like plenty of time, turns out, it's not. It's important that you have a clear structure in your essays but since you are unaware of the topics that may come up, it's important to stay updated with the news and I recommend reading some articles once in a while on things like human rights, politics, legal matters, philosophy etc while also highlighting and making notes. The LNAT is definitely a tough exam but also remember there are other top unis that do not require it such as Exeter, Leeds, Manchester, QMW, York, Warwick and Nottingham - there are more. I have just firmed Law at Uni of Nottingham and I'm so glad I chose it, the course is great, the facilities and everything so just in case you're looking for other recommendations. Also, note that the LNAT costs £75 (you can get this covered if needed) and many applicants will have tutoring so if you can afford it, is great, if not, not so great. Other than that, you can find practice exams online and luckily there is no such thing as failing the test but Oxbridge tends to look for scores in the very high 20s+.

I hope this provided some answers to your questions and once again I apologise for it being so long, but I wish I had this knowledge prior to starting the process of applying so it is important to me that you know this :smile:. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, I'm more than happy to help! Goodluck!

Edit: I've found some websites that have pdf books:
https://www.pdfdrive.com
https://openlibrary.org
https://www.free-ebooks.net
I have not checked if each individual book is available on them but if not then I think your best bet is to purchase second-hand if your interested
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Trollbogey
Hi!
(Sorry this is so long but I've poured out all my advice and knowledge to help lol). I'm a current Year 13 who has applied for Law.
When struggling to choose a course, I recommend choosing the one you think you will enjoy the most but if this still causes some trouble I have some tips. I recommend looking at the different modules and the type of assessments the courses have and if you are interested in them. If you do not enjoy the sound of dissertations, there are a few courses out there that do not require them, and if you prefer the practical over the theoretial side of the law then you should also take that into consideration. I've also heard from my teacher that philosophy as a degree can be extremely challenging but that's just one person's opinion, I advise you to look at others and what's challenging for one, may not be challenging for another so don't let that sway your opinion.

In the case of politics, I am a politics student and chose it as a last resort with very little background knowledge or passion for the subject, however, it was easy to pick up at first and I am now predicted an A. Bear in mind however, at both a level and degree level there are a ton of examples you need to know like the back of your hand e.g., the results of general elections, the % of voters and their demographic etc. It doesn't go without saying but a Law degree is FULL of cases etc, however, I personally find legal cases far easier to remember than random facts and statistics which constantly need updating. Also, sometimes politics isn't for everyone, it can at times be quite boring, especially learning about the structure of parliament like the Cabinet, House of Commons, House of Lords etc. There can be some overlap with law but it is quite minimal.

Regarding a successful Oxbridge application, they strongly emphasised the LNAT in my personal experience (I was rejected from Cambridge with A*A*A predictions but a mid LNAT score - the reason for the rejection). They also value some work experience which I can help with bearing in mind what you said above. Within your personal statement, I've heard they like to see your ability to debate and elaborate which can be useful when applying for either subject. In addition to this, they like to see your passion for a certain area of the law and I focussed on Human Rights law in my personal statement. It shows dedication and true interest in law, while also displaying decent knowledge that you are willing to explore further in your degree.

https://www.theforage.com - This is a link to online work experience, they have a large selection for law with many courses from Magic Circle law firms. I completed the Linklaters legal foundations course and found it very interesting and also mentioned it in my personal statement. They also have ones from Clifford Chance and Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer but all of them can be completed within your own time as there is no deadline for them to be finished. I did mine over the course of a month or two as I was in the middle of mock exams and still learnt a great deal from them.

Regarding books, this largely depends on the area of law you are interested in and if you let me know I'd be happy to give some personalised recommendations. There is a list of books that Cambridge has outlined on their course page and these include:
What About Law? by C Bernard, J O'Sullivan & G Virgo;
Letters to a Law Student by Nicholas J. McBride;
Learning the Law by Glanville Williams;
The Law Machine by Berlins & Dryer;
Law and Modern Society by P. S. Atiyah;
How to Do Things with Rules by William Twining and David Miers;
Eve was Framed: Women and British Justice by Helena Kennedy;
Law: A Very Short Introduction by Raymond Wacks.

I strongly recommend The Law Machine as it is a very detailed description of the legal structure of the UK including the different courts etc but it's important to note it is outdated so some of the material is not relevant or has changed. I have also read a book called Lawless by Kimberley Motley who is an American Human Rights lawyer and it's a detailed account of some of the life-changing work she has done including some of the troubles she has encountered. Another book that isn't on the list that I've been recommended a few times is The Rule of Law by Tom Bingham however I am yet to read it.

I know that this is a lot of books and it may seem quite daunting but you don't have to read them all, and I understand some are expensive or it may be a bit pricey to buy them however there are some resources out there that allow you to download PDFs of the books and there is also a great website that sells second-hand books which is where I purchased The Law Machine and Lawless: https://www.wob.com/en-gb. I will work on looking for a link to the PDF books and if I find it I will come back to comment on it.

In terms of the LNAT, preparation is purely down to practice (which I didn't do enough of) so I highly emphasise starting early. You can do this by practising essays and timing, you have about 35-40 minutes in the actual exam which seems like plenty of time, turns out, it's not. It's important that you have a clear structure in your essays but since you are unaware of the topics that may come up, it's important to stay updated with the news and I recommend reading some articles once in a while on things like human rights, politics, legal matters, philosophy etc while also highlighting and making notes. The LNAT is definitely a tough exam but also remember there are other top unis that do not require it such as Exeter, Leeds, Manchester, QMW, York, Warwick and Nottingham - there are more. I have just firmed Law at Uni of Nottingham and I'm so glad I chose it, the course is great, the facilities and everything so just in case you're looking for other recommendations. Also, note that the LNAT costs £75 (you can get this covered if needed) and many applicants will have tutoring so if you can afford it, is great, if not, not so great. Other than that, you can find practice exams online and luckily there is no such thing as failing the test but Oxbridge tends to look for scores in the very high 20s+.

I hope this provided some answers to your questions and once again I apologise for it being so long, but I wish I had this knowledge prior to starting the process of applying so it is important to me that you know this :smile:. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, I'm more than happy to help! Goodluck!

Edit: I've found some websites that have pdf books:
https://www.pdfdrive.com
https://openlibrary.org
https://www.free-ebooks.net
I have not checked if each individual book is available on them but if not then I think your best bet is to purchase second-hand if your interested

Hey,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to give me this advice, there's absolutely no need to apologise for it being long. If I wanna do law I may as well get used to reading long texts now lol. Since asking this question I've spoken to a couple of people doing PPE and they all completely agree with your points, everyone found philosophy surprisingly challenging and politics sometimes quite boring. I will definitely take this into account when choosing.

Right now I definitely leaning more towards law, I love the multi-dimensional aspects of it, not that PPE isn't, but each of the three disciplines are generally taught quite separate from one another from what I've heard. Although, tbh the level of competition for places I've seen this year has been slightly daunting. In terms of specific areas of interest in Law, I don't think I've read enough foundational-level stuff to know yet, but I will definitely check out some of the books you've mentioned and get back to you; Eve was framed and Lawless have definitely really piqued my interest.

Honestly, the LNAT is the part of the application process which I am the most worried about but I'm sure I'll manage to improve with practice. I've heard about Arbitio being quite good, is it something you'd recommend? And in terms of the essay, are there any specific tips that you have? I feel like I'm quite rusty with that type of persuasive essay writing since I haven't done it in a while. Oh and thank you for the work experience link, I've had a look and they all seem really interesting.

Thanks for the links to the pdf books too. I think a couple of them are on there which should hopefully reduce the number of books I have to buy lol. Sorry for the onslaught of questions btw, but you've genuinely been so helpful! I hope you have a great time at Nottingham and I will definitely msg you if I have any more questions (:
Reply 3
Hey! Sorry its taken me so long to answer I've been drowned in revision :frown:
for the LNAT, I didn't stick to one individual resource but I did use ambition which was really helpful. other than that I just went on different websites, I've also researched different books but they have mixed reviews in terms of their usefulness. for essays recommend shaping it into a debate, the question I answered was about whether laws of female genital mutilation laws should be applied globally and not just to Western countries. for each point I made, I had an opposing argument e.g. female genital mutilation is morally wrong, and violates human rights, however, there is a cultural aspect to be considered. you do not have to agree with what you write either, as long as you have an essay that makes you stand out then its fine, you should also have a smooth running structure that isn't all over the place so you should plan quickly before you write (they provided a whiteboard and pen for me). that's the best advice I can give for the essay, if you need a more precise structure here is an example:

overarching point
explain with an embedded example
elaborate this
contrasting point
explain with an embedded example
elaborate
mini evaluation (while it can be argued...., (second point)

also, you want to argue your strongest point second, this way your paragraphs will seem stronger and it will be easier to argue your point in contrast with the first point.

sorry if it's hard to understand, I'm happy to explain further when I have more time, ill come back at another point to help any further.

Original post by confuciousduckus
Hey,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to give me this advice, there's absolutely no need to apologise for it being long. If I wanna do law I may as well get used to reading long texts now lol. Since asking this question I've spoken to a couple of people doing PPE and they all completely agree with your points, everyone found philosophy surprisingly challenging and politics sometimes quite boring. I will definitely take this into account when choosing.

Right now I definitely leaning more towards law, I love the multi-dimensional aspects of it, not that PPE isn't, but each of the three disciplines are generally taught quite separate from one another from what I've heard. Although, tbh the level of competition for places I've seen this year has been slightly daunting. In terms of specific areas of interest in Law, I don't think I've read enough foundational-level stuff to know yet, but I will definitely check out some of the books you've mentioned and get back to you; Eve was framed and Lawless have definitely really piqued my interest.

Honestly, the LNAT is the part of the application process which I am the most worried about but I'm sure I'll manage to improve with practice. I've heard about Arbitio being quite good, is it something you'd recommend? And in terms of the essay, are there any specific tips that you have? I feel like I'm quite rusty with that type of persuasive essay writing since I haven't done it in a while. Oh and thank you for the work experience link, I've had a look and they all seem really interesting.

Thanks for the links to the pdf books too. I think a couple of them are on there which should hopefully reduce the number of books I have to buy lol. Sorry for the onslaught of questions btw, but you've genuinely been so helpful! I hope you have a great time at Nottingham and I will definitely msg you if I have any more questions (:
Reply 4
Original post by confuciousduckus
Hi everyone,

I'm considering the possibility of taking a gap year (I'm in yr13 rn) since I can't see myself studying economics at uni. I was forced to apply for it by my parents even though I was more interested in PPE, but now they've come around and want to support me if I do take a gap year.

Right now I'm struggling to decide between doing PPE or Law, but if I do go with Law it would be really helpful if anyone has any tips on how to make a competitive application for Oxbridge and other top unis. I do maths, Econ and physics and am predicted all A* s, which I'll hopefully achieve.

In terms of books does anyone have any recommendations? And how important is work experience as I don't know if I will have time to try and find some over summer? And lastly, how would you recommend preparing for the LNAT?

Sorry for the barrage of questions lol, but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated (:

Hi, I just wanted to say that the PPL (Politics Philosophy and Law) course at kings is really cool, and might be a good balance of law and PPE for you! I might be a bit biased since its are my firm choice, but if you end up not being able to decide, it might be good to at least look into the course. You still get a qualifying law degree (although it is 4 years) and get to chose modules from the three different areas. It does require the LNAT, and a small number of people do it every year, but I didn't talk about philosophy or politics at all in my personal statement (at least, I didn't overtly talk about them) and still got offered a place, so the rest of your application can be law/ PPE, they seem to be quite flexible in terms of personal statements and have said they're aware that it's a niche course so your personal statement can't be 'why I want to study PPL'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending